Wish someone would do an indepth review on the 700

Just got mine today and it's almost together. Hoping to have it out on the road by lunch tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think, fwiw.

So how was it to build? I think the one of the reasons I chose a different bike was because the R1U video looked a bit more complicated where others you just put on the front wheel, handlebars and pedals. Do you still have to attach the front fork?

So how was it to build? I think the one of the reasons I chose a different bike was because the R1U video looked a bit more complicated where others you just put on the front wheel, handlebars and pedals. Do you still have to attach the front fork?
It wasn't too bad, I got it late in the afternoon and was too impatient to Wait until the next day. Only real problem I had is instead of using the Allen wrench I was lazy and used my torque wrench to do one of the bolts on the rack and I broke it. I managed to get it out with a pair of vice grips though and got another one at home Depot. The brakes were making some noise and I adjusted them up front. I think they're still rubbing a tiny bit but it'll wear away I just didn't want to waste any brake pad you know. took it out for about 20 miles today and I loved it but the only problem I've had is three times when I accelerated from a standstill using just throttle I heard a clunk back by the motor. I contacted R1up and they got right back to me. They want me to try to record the sound. So that's how I'm going to do now ,going to strap my phone to the bike and try to repeat it.

Last edited:
So of course I strapped my phone to the back rack and drove it around for about 10 minutes and couldn't get the sound to happen again.... One thing that was a bit of a hassle is they apparently upgraded the brakes and the YouTube build video has the older style. The only instructions, if you could call them that, for the new ones was a little 2x2 piece of paper with a copy of a picture saying "put washer here". There were three washers however so I went on shimano's website to see the order they went in because two of them were cupped. I'm getting an occasional pinging noise from the wheels I think it might be a spoke. It was a little bit of a hassle to get the fenders to not rob it all and have them nice and straight. Apparently the mobile mechanic service they recommend doesn't have anyone working near me so for the warranty I guess I'll have to bring it to a local bike shop

So quick update I think the sound I was hearing was loose spokes in the rear wheel. I was hearing clicks also while riding so today I put it up on the stand and went around spoke by spoke tightening up any loose ones a quarter turn at a time and spinning the wheel to make sure it wasn't going out of true. Then I just took it for a nice long ride along the Delaware canal and it sounds great now.

Just a few pics

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_160342.jpg
    IMG_20200909_160342.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20200909_160336.jpg
    IMG_20200909_160336.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20200909_160255.jpg
    IMG_20200909_160255.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 334
Installed the suntour ncx seatpost today. I've only taken it on one ride, it still has the original spring but the one for people over 180 lb is supposed to be here tomorrow. I figured I wanted to check it out with the original spring to see if there's a difference. So far I like it, feels a little weird with the flexibility in the seat but I guess you become comfortable with that after a while. At first it made me feel like it wasn't that strong. One thing I like which I don't think you can see easily from the picture I included is it sets the seat mount about 3/4 of an inch further back which is preferable to me since I'm 6 ft 2 in.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_113504.jpg
    IMG_20200910_113504.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20200910_113454.jpg
    IMG_20200910_113454.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
So quick update I think the sound I was hearing was loose spokes in the rear wheel. I was hearing clicks also while riding so today I put it up on the stand and went around spoke by spoke tightening up any loose ones a quarter turn at a time and spinning the wheel to make sure it wasn't going out of true. Then I just took it for a nice long ride along the Delaware canal and it sounds great now.

Were the sounds only when you were riding? The rear wheel on my ebike doesn't make that sound when up on a stand. Maybe I have to do the same thing and tighten up the spokes.

Yeah the sound was only when riding. I got a spoke tightening tool on Amazon and when I went around to check them by hand and then snugged them up the sound went away. I have a tension meter due to be here any minute from Amazon and I'm going to set them to the correct spec. They only made the sound when applying a lot of power suddenly so I figured the torque from the motor made the sound due to the loose spoke.

Were the sounds only when you were riding? The rear wheel on my ebike doesn't make that sound when up on a stand. Maybe I have to do the same thing and tighten up the spokes.
Don't know if you've tried it yet but just reach down and grab a spoke and try to wiggle it, work your way around the wheel and is a good chance you'll feel some that are looser than others. I'm not an expert but I don't think any of them are supposed to wiggle easily by hand. The tension meter looks like it's easy to use I've never tried one before but I'll let you know

Installed the suntour ncx seatpost today. I've only taken it on one ride, it still has the original spring but the one for people over 180 lb is supposed to be here tomorrow. I figured I wanted to check it out with the original spring to see if there's a difference. So far I like it, feels a little weird with the flexibility in the seat but I guess you become comfortable with that after a while. At first it made me feel like it wasn't that strong. One thing I like which I don't think you can see easily from the picture I included is it sets the seat mount about 3/4 of an inch further back which is preferable to me since I'm 6 ft 2 in.
So if I am over 180lbs, there is a different one I need to order?

So if I am over 180lbs, there is a different one I need to order?
According to suntour the spring that comes with it is only rated to 180 lbs although there is a guy on YouTube who says he's had the one on his R1up and he's 230 lbs and it's been fine. It'll probably be all right but I ordered the spring anyway as it was only $15. I got the seat post from Amazon but I had to get the spring directly from the company so that's why They didn't come at the same time. The only thing that looks like a little bit of a hassle is the original spring has like a spacer on it to keep it centered in the post and the replacement doesn't come with that apparently you have to thread it off and thread it onto the new spring.

Just a few pics
That's one good looking bike. First thing I'm going to do, when mine arrives, is remove the "in spoke" reflectors. I remember some post that they interfer with "ear tuning" the spokes + I never did like the looks of them.

That's one good looking bike. First thing I'm going to do, when mine arrives, is remove the "in spoke" reflectors. I remember some post that they interfer with "ear tuning" the spokes + I never did like the looks of them.
To be honest the spokes are the only real issue I've had that bothers me. I noticed a couple of times when I took off from a standstill just using the motor all of that torque at once caused some unpleasant noises from the back wheel. I noticed the spokes felt loose so I tightened them but I didn't want to over tighten them seeing that I'm a novice at it. Apparently I wasn't tightening them enough as I kept having the issue. When I set them to spec with a tension meter, I know I went over this in a previous post but hey, The wheels were way out of true So I did the old loosen one side and tighten the other. I put it up on the stand and used the zip ties to the frame method as a guide and I got them pretty straight. But then when I took it out I heard that ping again from the spokes so I think decide I loosened them on maybe I loosened a bit much but on a few so I went back and checked them by hand and then snugged the loose ones. Just took a nice long ride up to Delaware canal through Yardley PA and it ran great. It gets that red clay dust all over it on that path but it's a beautiful ride. Snapped a few pics but they're not exactly Ansel Adams quality.....

Attachments

• PXL_20200914_143317647.jpg
    PXL_20200914_143317647.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 314
  • PXL_20200914_152529518.jpg
    PXL_20200914_152529518.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 310
  • PXL_20200914_151625280.jpg
    PXL_20200914_151625280.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 297
  • PXL_20200914_143314033.jpg
    PXL_20200914_143314033.jpg
    768.8 KB · Views: 296
To be honest the spokes are the only real issue I've had that bothers me. I noticed a couple of times when I took off from a standstill just using the motor all of that torque at once caused some unpleasant noises from the back wheel. I noticed the spokes felt loose so I tightened them but I didn't want to over tighten them seeing that I'm a novice at it. Apparently I wasn't tightening them enough as I kept having the issue. When I set them to spec with a tension meter, I know I went over this in a previous post but hey, The wheels were way out of true So I did the old loosen one side and tighten the other. I put it up on the stand and used the zip ties to the frame method as a guide and I got them pretty straight. But then when I took it out I heard that ping again from the spokes so I think decide I loosened them on maybe I loosened a bit much but on a few so I went back and checked them by hand and then snugged the loose ones. Just took a nice long ride up to Delaware canal through Yardley PA and it ran great. It gets that red clay dust all over it on that path but it's a beautiful ride. Snapped a few pics but they're not exactly Ansel Adams quality.....
I did buy a tensionionmeter from Aliexpress. It's en route. Also I think the meter is a good tool to get the spokes all similar.. Don't think great accuracy is important but eveness is.

I did buy a tensionionmeter from Aliexpress. It's en route. Also I think the meter is a good tool to get the spokes all similar.. Don't think great accuracy is important but eveness is.
Agreed, I had them all really close like it would say 33 to 35 for the rear spokes non-drive size, something like that and I had them all within that range and that's when my wheel was wobbly. It was a little bit time intensive to fix but not difficult. If we're going to do those things that I couldn't recommend to stand enough. I also used to stand this weekend too fine tune my derailleur, clean it and lube it.

Agreed, I had them all really close like it would say 33 to 35 for the rear spokes non-drive size, something like that and I had them all within that range and that's when my wheel was wobbly. It was a little bit time intensive to fix but not difficult. If we're going to do those things that I couldn't recommend to stand enough. I also used to stand this weekend too fine tune my derailleur, clean it and lube it.
I already bought a Deore derailleur to replace the Acera. Just messin

So I received the USB update cable from R1up and I downloaded the files and installed the drivers, connected the laptop to the bike but when I attempted to update the controller I just got "waiting for connection" then I got " error: times out" - not sure if that was the exacting wording for the last sentence.

So I received the USB update cable from R1up and I downloaded the files and installed the drivers, connected the laptop to the bike but when I attempted to update the controller I just got "waiting for connection" then I got " error: times out" - not sure if that was the exacting wording for the last sentence.
Please keep us updated

Looks like you got further than the only other person I've seen attempt the upgrade:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/264...k/628826521086845/?comment_id=654498378519659

Back