Will EBikeshare Replace EBike Ownership For Most People in Cities?

Will city dwellers do more riding on personally owned or shared ebikes?

• Personally owned ebikes

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • Shared ebikes

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
I'm sure Uber drivers are happy about that.

Uber drivers hate the short rides that ebikeshare is aimed at. Arguably because Uber underpays them for those.

But drivers can also be recruited to charge bikes, move them around, and deliver food via ebike. Bird pays $5 per scooter brought in nightly, and you could fit several in your car.

Bike sellers are going to benefit bigly, when people try these out and like them, and want them for daily use. But bikeshare will still serve lots of people use an ebike less often, or can't secure their bike.

Biki in Honolulu has been a huge success although some drivers aren't happy because at some locations the City removed street parking to install a Biki bike station. There's never enough vehicle parking in Honolulu, and the only way you'll get people out of their cars and consider commuting by bike is to make it harder to travel by car. At last check, I think we're #2 in the Nation for the worst traffic congestion.

All of Biki's bikes are pedal-only, but I'd love to see ebikes added. Biki charges per 30-minute segment so not returning a bike would get awfully costly under their setup. They don't provide a lock, but the premise is that you checkout a Biki bike at one of their racks at the start of your ride and return it to the Biki rack at your destination. There are so many Biki rack locations in Honolulu it would be hard not to find one conveniently located at your start and stop points.
Biki Map.JPG
Biki Stop.JPG

Just wanting to own stuff is changing with the younger generation. Many that don't need a car, don't want a car and therefore won't buy a car. That's probably smart! I know I wanted a car long before I needed a car.

As for ebikes, you're leaving a few segments of buyers out of the equation. The wannabe rider that wants an ebike for more than just transportation. The buyer that will use the bike for transportation, but also wants to stay or get in shape. That's more difficult when you get a different bike everytime out. And the recrational rider that wants to throw the bike on/in the car, get out of the city for the weekend and ride 'the famous rail trail' everyone's talking about. Then there's the city dweller that wants to get out and mountain bike. That can include the growing number of ebike competition mtb events.

I don't live in a city, so I'm not in their target market, but I've used my ebikes for 3-1/2 years for transport, recreation and fitness. They are just so much fun and useful.

I hope ebikeshares will become commonplace in most cities, I'd likely visit for pleasure more often. I think it will be awhile before they're commonplace though. For the 4 years this forum has existed, many of us thought ebikes were ready to really take off in North America. They are, sort of. It's a slow growth though and the market here is tiny. It's going to take investment by the brands for mainstream advertising and education. Local and state governments will need to get on board with public information campaigns. European style schemes to promote ebikes and possibly offer tax credits for using ebikes, instead of a car. If one buys an electric car, they get a huge tax write-off and they never pay highway gasoline tax, the money that pays for our roadway infrastructure.

I fear a lot will have to change before ebikes take off like they have in Europe. Europe developed a bicycle culture, seriously since WWII. A lot due to necessity, a great deal of Europe was destroyed and few had money for cars, that's if you could get one. If you needed to get from A to B, you rode a bike. North America, and in particular the US, there was plenty of money and plenty of jobs to go around. Riding a bike was what poor people and children did. At best it was a toy! We didn't build any cycling infrastructure. Most people still don't consider a bicycle a serious transportation alternative. And far fewer children dream of a bike under the Christmas Tree. They want an iPhone, iPad or PlayStation. The market to sell any bike is small in N.A., smaller for ebikes, smaller for ebikeshares.

I'm hopeful, but pragmatic at this point. The nearest "city" to me, a city of 65,000 residents installed a regular bikeshare last summer, but they only have it available during warmer months. Even the bikeshare company is treating it as a novelty for tourists.

:confused:

In the meantime I'm all in! The more the merrier, the more the cheaper! I do my best to inform anyone that'll listen. Last fall I was riding with a buddy and his Haibike, I on my BH and there was a guy in town that was very interested in our bikes. After giving him the full tour, he left us saying: "so it's a fancy moped?". Oh well.

Very good points and very well said. Yeah, I was told the same thing about it being like a moped..jeez...

Biki in Honolulu has been a huge success although some drivers aren't happy because at some locations the City removed street parking to install a Biki bike station. There's never enough vehicle parking in Honolulu, and the only way you'll get people out of their cars and consider commuting by bike is to make it harder to travel by car. At last check, I think we're #2 in the Nation for the worst traffic congestion.

All of Biki's bikes are pedal-only, but I'd love to see ebikes added. Biki charges per 30-minute segment so not returning a bike would get awfully costly under their setup. They don't provide a lock, but the premise is that you checkout a Biki bike at one of their racks at the start of your ride and return it to the Biki rack at your destination. There are so many Biki rack locations in Honolulu it would be hard not to find one conveniently located at your start and stop points.
View attachment 20837View attachment 20838

Nice bike docking station. It looks very similar to the kind we have around town in Chicago, better known as the 'Divvy Bike share program'.

While eBike share will no doubt increase visibility for the market and hopefully increase sales, I'm hoping that we can also look forward to eBike leasing. For a fixed monthly fee, you get an eBike with service. This opens up the market to those who do not want to spend purchase monies for an eBike. If a financially sound pricing model can be delivered, I think this would help put eBikes on an accelerated adoption curve.

While eBike share will no doubt increase visibility for the market and hopefully increase sales, I'm hoping that we can also look forward to eBike leasing. For a fixed monthly fee, you get an eBike with service. This opens up the market to those who do not want to spend purchase monies for an eBike. If a financially sound pricing model can be delivered, I think this would help put eBikes on an accelerated adoption curve.

The startup Riide is doing that. I'm a little skeptical - it's overpriced compared to regular buying, and potentially not cheaper than Jump bikeshare at $2 a ride. Riide is $79 a month, $300 down. Many brands already offer financing via Affirm.

I was out riding today in D.C. to enjoy the cherry blossoms and saw a Riide bike; I had no idea of their business model. Interesting.

In short order , this forum and website , as much as we love it , will be relegated to one notch below model rockets on the Dark Web . :)

Sitting at my desk at work as I write this I can look out my window and see the Capital Bikeshare rack, 20 yards away. It went in perhaps 3-4 years ago?, with 8 bikes if I recall -- today after 2 expansions, it holds 29 (all non-electric). Every bike is there right now -- though our rush-hour mornings have yet to come out of the high 30's and low 40's... but come lunchtime and the afternoon, there will only be, typically, 2-3 bikes available. So it definitely has its audience! (My office and the bikes are located a block from the subway station as well, and historic Old Town Alexandria is an easy 2-3 mile bike ride away. So it certainly makes sense as a bikeshare location...)

That said, I have never once used a Capital Bikeshare, at this rack or any rack -- despite walking past this rack every day since it went in. (There is also a Capital Bikeshare rack about 4 blocks from my home.) In all that time, it simply never crossed my mind to try one for my commute... I suspect largely because the notion of bike riding was so full of painful memories of my old 10-speed, last ridden perhaps 15 years ago.

But, something in me snapped this February, and I decided it was time to get in better shape, and aim to lose ~75 pounds. (Certainly, that extra weight and lower fitness level was a strong mental block against ever considering getting on a pedal bike!) After some research, I bought an ebike on March 2.

Using the few nice-weather days March offered, I've since commuted to work on it 5 times (out of 7 work days) in April so far (much to my surprise and delight -- and including on mornings with mid-30's temperatures.) I've clocked 300 miles on it so far -- easily triple the entire bike mileage of my life to date.)

So -- all that said -- I don't know whether I would have considered joining an ebike-share program (if it had been as readily/conveniently located as Capital Bikeshare)... I suspect I would have tried it out several times (probably as a step on the path to buying one... just like I test rode a few at my LBS before buying mine online.) But then again, it could have swayed me to stay with the ebike rental approach for a long while, instead of shelling out on the sizable purchase... I can't honestly say...! I do think that there are likely very many folks like me, who if they tried an ebike (when they wouldn't consider a pedal bike, such as for my similar reasons of weight/fitness) -- they'd find quickly how it makes biking "possible" again (not to mention fun and a delight, getting up those hills that would have required walking the bike before.)

Guess at the end of that ramble, I'm hopeful that ebike-shares take hold. Every 10 commutes I make on the bike saves me 3 gallons of gas. And, I'm already down 11 pounds ;)

This Twitter commenter from Portland offers an interesting list of 10 reasons why Uber buying JUMP may be a good thing for urban transit.
I'm particularly taken with #2, 4 & 7,
#2 Policy: Uber has the clout to ease regulation of pedelecs Class 1 ebikes in the cities where JUMP operates.
#4 Driver network: will we see Uber cars fitted with bike racks to redistribute dockless ebikeshare bikes?
#7 I'd love to see JUMP introduce cargo ebikeshare similar to Donk-EE in Cologne.

I can think of a couple of times I would have used Uber or Lyft if they had a bike carrier.

I've read about people stuffing a folding ebike into an Uber but a bike rack would be helpful, maybe not so useful for my suggestion about cargo ebikes unless it's a tandem rack :)

I have as much interest in riding someone else's bike as using someone else's toothbrush. I vote owning my own ebike, but them I'm a grumpy old fart. I could see younger people using shared ebikes.
Lol I knew you were either old or suburban from your first sentence - young people living in cities tend to be more flexible about using vs buying things, depending on the merits of each.

Casey Neistat did a vid in NYC using bolt cutters in front of busy places (including a police station) to "steal" his own bike. Nobody paid any attention. Only when he did it in front of a couple of cops near busy subway entrance did anyone stop him - cop said it was the only time they'd ever "caught" someone. Most locks take 30sec or less to cut anyway (cables only a few seconds).
More and more bikes should be protected with hidden GPS and motion alarms so that more of the meth-head thieves are caught. Bike insurance is a joke if you really examine the policies.

I ditched my car about a year ago and I've been using a combination of Uber, Jump ebike shares, Ford non-ebike shares, electric scoot.co mopeds to get around and I've even tried the dockless e-razors that are now scattered throughout my city.

The problem with the shared ebikes (and the mopeds) is there are often none around when I need one. Especially during commute hours. If I don't get up super early in the morning, all the ones near my home are gone, same with in the evening going home from work - by 5:00pm there's nothing left.

After trying every transportation mode available (bus/light rail, motorcycle, car, regular bike, ebike) I have come to the conclusion that ebikes are the absolute fastest way to get to anywhere but the farthest corners of this city. (not to mention most secure - I had my cars stolen twice, crackheads have broken off the sparkplugs on the motorcycle I had to use the ceramic tubes, public transit smells like urine and feces... yes, this city is kind of a s-hole).

Unless the number of shared bikes increases to a saturation point, there's really no way for them to be reliable transport. if there are none available. Owning your own seems like the only way!

I ditched my car about a year ago and I've been using a combination of Uber, Jump ebike shares, Ford non-ebike shares, electric scoot.co mopeds to get around and I've even tried the dockless e-razors that are now scattered throughout my city.

The problem with the shared ebikes (and the mopeds) is there are often none around when I need one. Especially during commute hours. If I don't get up super early in the morning, all the ones near my home are gone, same with in the evening going home from work - by 5:00pm there's nothing left.

After trying every transportation mode available (bus/light rail, motorcycle, car, regular bike, ebike) I have come to the conclusion that ebikes are the absolute fastest way to get to anywhere but the farthest corners of this city. (not to mention most secure - I had my cars stolen twice, crackheads have broken off the sparkplugs on the motorcycle I had to use the ceramic tubes, public transit smells like urine and feces... yes, this city is kind of a s-hole).

Unless the number of shared bikes increases to a saturation point, there's really no way for them to be reliable transport. if there are none available. Owning your own seems like the only way!

I was in your city for the 1st time taking tour buses and sightseeing. It was nothing less than a positive experience. They just would tell us to stay away from the Tenderloin district (at late hours of the night) where all of the riffraff hang out. We stayed in a downtown hotel on Bush street near Chinatown and used the BART system along with bus transportation to see points of interest including Fisherman's Wharf, etc.

Sorry to hear your report as a resident. I believe there is a big difference between being a tourist and actually living in any big city, however, I would not hesitate to return to take in more sights in a heartbeat, unless of course it has changed that much since I last visited...

Back