Why dogs don't ride MTBs

Truly incredible dogs to watch in action and apparently top-notch herders too.
8 weeks

20210309_180924.jpg

2 years old

20230421_141313.jpg

Her name is Skye; she's Scottish and named after the Isle of Skye in Scotland. She herds everything, including me. The offspring of sheep farming BCs, right off the farm. Her best dog friend is the Great Dane next door.

I have a video of riding my back field with Maisie.... yeah, another Scottish name for my Rough Collie. I wish I could post it. She was what most call a Lassie dog, 85 pounds and a runner, but not as fast as Skye. Loved the snow.

IMAG0615.jpg

I have a video of riding my back field with Maisie.... yeah, another Scottish name for my Rough Collie. I wish I could post it. She was what most call a Lassie dog, 85 pounds and a runner, but not as fast as Skye. Loved the snow.

View attachment 161668
As a kid our collie wanted to sleep outside in the snow under a bush at the kitchen window. That is some coat. We would let him in the kitchen in the morning to defrost the ice in his paw pads. In NZ I loved watching the herding dogs. They loved to work and were skinny and fast.

Just saw this. It's actually kind of a good lesson in body position. Pause the video at 26 seconds, and notice that when he corners, his body stays upright while his legs are about 45 degrees to the ground. That's what you should do on an unbanked curve, except the paws would be wheels, obviously.

On a banked curve, he would probably know that he didn't need to do that-- his legs and body would be at right angles to the ground. Skiing is the same.

What I love: When they leap higher than they need to in order to clear an obstacle, just for the hell of it, just because it feels great.

Back