Why did the EU choose 250W?

I believe Yamaha has been making mid-drive motors since the '90s. And to me, this Haibike sure looks like a mid drive ...
View attachment 91886
Either way, Haibike was putting Bosch mid drives on eMTBs at least as early as 2014 (I had one), but I don't think Specialized came out with its first eMTB until 2016. I seriously doubt Haibike stole the idea from Specialized...

Where did you get that Switzerland story from?
I thought the first Bosch mid drives were 2009. I do remember Specialized was all hub drive for MY2015 and before. 2016 Specialized bikes, with the new Brose were big news here on the forum and they were discounting all the hub drive Turbos that were built in 2014/15 and sold as 2016 models.

Post in thread 'Turbo Levo FSR Comp 6Fattie' https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/turbo-levo-fsr-comp-6fattie.4175/post-46463

Interesting reading some of those old threads.

I believe Yamaha has been making mid-drive motors since the '90s. And to me, this Haibike sure looks like a mid drive ...
View attachment 91886
Either way, Haibike was putting Bosch mid drives on eMTBs at least as early as 2014 (I had one), but I don't think Specialized came out with its first eMTB until 2016. I seriously doubt Haibike stole the idea from Specialized...
I stand corrected Jim! (Although Turbo Levo was announced in 2015, not 2016).
Where did you get that Switzerland story from?
Now, Specialized Turbo Division is located in Cham, Switzerland. As Turbo Division people describe it, Specialized HQ was initially against the whole e-bike idea. The first concept was presented to Morgan Hill in 2011. The first prototype frame of Levo was made in 2013. You have proven Haibike was first, yet the Levo was the first e-MTB with the integrated battery.

Good material, albeit lengthy:

All in all, Haibike is a German company. European.

personally, I’d guess it’s because it’s what is required to propel an average weight European up a 5% grade at 25kph, assuming a contribution of around 100w from said average human. although there are hilly cities in Europe, many of the largest rarely have heavily traveled streets above a 5% grade.

personally, I’d guess it’s because it’s what is required to propel an average weight European up a 5% grade at 25kph, assuming a contribution of around 100w from said average human. although there are hilly cities in Europe, many of the largest rarely have heavily traveled streets above a 5% grade.
I agree with your technical point but I would add that they also didn't want the EU market flooded with cheap Chinese hub motors which are at a disadvantage vs mid-drives at lower power ratings.

I would also add that while there is lip service paid to wanting to get more people out of cars and on bikes, the auto, parts, DMV, and insurance companies definitely don't want to many drivers to transition to ebikes as $billions will saved by those riders and those industries will have to find ways to add value instead of just leaching.

Back