Why are the e-bike sold only with heavy inefficient fat tires?

There’s actually more to it than that. Weight can greatly impact a bikes handing characteristics. Many prefer a lightweight ebike because they tend to be more nimble and agile.
.......not to mention being easier to lift, carry, and transport.
If you to add 250lbs of weight to an ebike a lighter and nimbler frame isn't going to make that much more difference in the ride. There would be a justifiable need for. a heavier frame and more power.

If you to add 250lbs of weight to an ebike a lighter and nimbler frame isn't going to make that much more difference in the ride. There would be a justifiable need for. a heavier frame and more power.
I guess we can agree to disagree!

An associated problem is that there are very few bike racks that can support a 130 lb load with two of them mounted
Perhaps you could define the original problem? But, the fact is there are very few bike racks that can support ANY ebike: the ones that say they'll take 80lb mean that they can take two bikes up to 40lb, not a point load of 70lb.

There are also few e-bikes, regardless of the tires provided, that have fenders and yet they are sold as "city" bikes when the reality is
When the reality is that most radpower bikes come with fenders standard, and the ones that don't offer it as an option. I'm not going to even bother checking Blix, the other brand you mentioned, because you seem to be on a track of self-supporting rant bullshit.

The simple truth is that the ones for sale in the USA are made by very small companies with product managers that are clueless and designing to a price point and so going with heavy steel frames
Very small companies: radpower sold 140,000 ebikes last year. Name the next biggest seller.
With heavy steel frames: all radpower bikes are 6061 aluminum frames. Again, not gonna bother looking up Blix.
and are years behind China in terms of consumer offerings.
Mid drive mania might have something to do with that, but... why aren't japanese mamachari-style bikes selling in the US?

Mid drive mania might have something to do with that, but... why aren't japanese mamachari-style bikes selling in the US?

My guess is because they are like the euro bikes - gutless.....

The Bafang Ultra is perfect for inefficient heavy fat tire bikes. My bike weighs 61lbs with a 21Ah/48 battery and it effortlessly accelerates from a dead stop and is quiet and smooth as can be.. Is it sports car like ? Nope. More like a powerful Cadillac. Just buy what suits you and don't worry about what anyone else buys.

Last edited:
I think you need to define the surface you're riding on before making a statement like that, no?
Bingo. That's the determinate factor in my opinion. My eAhora came with 26x2.125" small knobbies and they were loud on paved trails, which is 99% of my riding surface. I switched to Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5" and they are quiet as a mouse and ride much smoother.

eAhora XC100 350watt.jpg

Bingo. That's the determinate factor in my opinion. My eAhora came with 26x2.125" small knobbies and they were loud on paved trails, which is 99% of my riding surface. I switched to Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5" and they are quiet as a mouse and ride much smoother.

View attachment 81073
I kind of like mine loud as it helps let people know I'm approaching from behind. Plus my hearing kinda sucks so it does not bother me much.

Is it my imagination or do Knobbies make steering harder on pavement?
My hybrid acoustic bike was sold with knobby tires. It slipped out from under me on wet leaves on bike path. The bike store suggested I get non knobby road tires for better traction on pavement. I did. So much better. Road tires make better contact with pavement.

I kind of like mine loud as it helps let people know I'm approaching from behind. Plus my hearing kinda sucks so it does not bother me much.
Where I ride over 50% of people are wearing earpieces so they don't hear bikes approaching them from behind. I can ring my bell and they don't hear me. Very annoying to those of us who are courteous enough to give warning.

Where I ride over 50% of people are wearing earpieces so they don't hear bikes approaching them from behind. I can ring my bell and they don't hear me. Very annoying to those of us who are courteous enough to give warning.
Slower bicycle riders on my local MUP don’t appear to be wearing headphones to any extent. It’s walkers. And there are plenty of those who don’t acknowledge a bell or an “on your left”.

Regarding fat tire rolling resistance verses skinny tires. My fat tire bike coasts downhill alongside skinny tired bikes just the same as they do. No difference. When the tires are aired up to the maximum sidewall pressure (30PSI) some fat tires have little rolling resistance as they are running on just the 1/4 to 3/8 inch narrow strip down the middle of the tire. Let the pressure get down so they are flexing and they ride nice but the the rolling resistance increases dramatically. This can be proven by the electrical power meter consumption indicated on the wh/mi. To be sure they have more inertia and gyroscopic effects which one can easily feel.

Back