Who rides in the winter?

What is a fairing (the term was mentioned by @john peck )?

Wikipedia answered my question. Here's a photo, and, to quote Wikipedia: "A motorcycle fairing is a shell placed over the frame of some motorcycles, especially racing motorcycles and sport bikes, with the primary purpose to reduce air drag. The secondary functions are the protection of the rider from airborne hazards and wind-induced hypothermia and of the engine components in the case of an accident. A motorcycle windshield will almost always be integrated into the design of the fairing"
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 10.20.02 AM.png

For ebikes to become "normal" and be used as transportation they need to provide more then you and I need. Not everyone loves bike riding and riding in bad weather is an objection that must be overcome. For you the cost is a lot but for a kid who is paying $250 a month in car insurance and looking for an alternative it pays back very quickly. Or for that young college graduate who is trying to live and work in NYC, San Fran, DC, LA. and the list goes on.
When I rode a motorcycle year round I used a full faced helmet and that worked ok but one of my friends had a fairing and wow what a difference!

I assume you are referencing the ZZipper fairings? I have thought of purchasing one of those as well for my commute. My main concern is that it would attract attention to my e-bike on the bike path that I ride on. However, the wind and rain protection, along with reduced drag would be beneficial especially so in the winter. They aren't cheap though.

And, yes, one could make a fairing. I would just need to make a form, some clear plastic, and enough heat to get the plastic to mold to the form.

I assume you are referencing the ZZipper fairings? I have thought of purchasing one of those as well for my commute. My main concern is that it would attract attention to my e-bike on the bike path that I ride on. However, the wind and rain protection, along with reduced drag would be beneficial especially so in the winter. They aren't cheap though.

And, yes, one could make a fairing. I would just need to make a form, some clear plastic, and enough heat to get the plastic to mold to the form.
Yes. ZZipdesign in California. If he made it so you could easily take it on and off then you could use it only on bad weather days when no one else is using the bike path.

From my experience riding in freezing temperatures, I recommend

1) electric gloves (expensive but worth it, batteries can be purchased at home depot) - I have the heated gloves
2) thick sweat pants (any discount store) + nylon outer shell that is waterproof
3) waterproof shoes (shoe covers don't work as well) - Rockport at the outlets sells waterproof shoes that are comfortable and inexpensive
just make sure you get shoes that are 1.5 size up to wear with thermal socks.
- Neos overshoes are also a good option for riding in code temperatures.

4) heat holder thermal socks - use to use REI medium weight wool socks, but these are much warmer.
5) medium weight fleece + outer waterproof shell
6) lightweight googles (below 30 degree F) or ski googles (below 20 degree F) depending on the temperature
7) ski helmet or bike helmet w/fleece cap. The ski helmet is much more comfortable because it covers the ears.
8) balaclava - helps keep your face from freezing.

With all my gear, I can ride comfortably in freezing temperatures. The only thing I don't like is riding across bridges with 40 mph crosswinds where the cold can pierce into the holes of the balaclava. That can really sting even if just for a few minutes.

weather_2018_08_16_a.jpg

It's ten to six on a winter's morning and it's looking like a perfect day for a ride... and also a good day to heed the oft-given advice of layering clothing and having somewhere to stow the no-longer or still-to-be-needed extra stuff.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back