Who needs a Creo when you have a Vado

You mean, on an obviously slower bike he thought it's only you. And on a obviously faster bike, which would normally make it possible to keep up with him, he would have believed you to cheat?
Interesting interpretation... ;-)
If I rode a road e-bike, the guy would be upset. Him putting all his effort in pedalling, and there comes an impostor assisted by the electric power. That's cheating for people used to competing. However, it is so funny to see a seemingly "just a bike" catching up with you, and you are riding your road bike in the drops upwind, fighting. The guy on the "just a bike" is even so polite as not to overtake the roadie! It becomes obvious to the roadie the "just a bike" must be electrified! A flat bar general purpose bike sitting on the rear wheel of a road bike but no attempt to overtake it? How hilarious! I met several roadies who appreciated and enjoyed the joke! :)

You mean I have to put a big red flag 1x1m on a 3m post on the Creo saying "eBike/Motor!!!!"??? ;-)

@Cds36 I have the same bike and have been considering upgrading from NX 11-speed to 12-speed higher up the line. I can see paying for the XX1 derailleur and shifter, but I can’t see paying for that cassette. What did you do about cassette and chainring?

@Cds36 I have the same bike and have been considering upgrading from NX 11-speed to 12-speed higher up the line. I can see paying for the XX1 derailleur and shifter, but I can’t see paying for that cassette. What did you do about cassette and chainring?
Luckily I had these parts in storage so I decided to put them on the vado. Just a NX cassette with X01 shifter XX1 derailleur and KMC chain it's been flawless so far no issues.i was originally going to swap out the hub driver to xd so I could use XX1 cassette but I haven't been successful in finding and xd driver for this particular hub I would need to switch out the hub entirely. Being an ebike I figure I would go thru cassettes and chains pretty fast with wear so I decided to stick with the NX cassette cause it's cheap and available

NX cassette with X01 shifter XX1 derailleur and KMC chain
Nice, using the NX cassette makes sense. Great setup, really nice looking bike. Nice bags also, a bit pricey but not as pricey as that XX1 cassette!

Last edited:
@Cds36 you inspired me to move forward with the 12-speed upgrade I've been thinking about for a while. I went GX derailleur and chain, X01 shifter and of course NX cassette. $337.21 plus Florida tax from authorized SRAM sellers on eBay, not bad! Had to buy a chain whip and lock-ring tool also but I needed to do that anyway.

Today, my last ride as an 11-speed, 40 miles Sarasota to Venice and back:

IMG_4128.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

@Cds36 you inspired me to move forward with the 12-speed upgrade I've been thinking about for a while. I went GX derailleur and chain, X01 shifter and of course NX cassette. $337.21 plus Florida tax from authorized SRAM sellers on eBay, not bad! Had to buy a chain whip and lock-ring tool also but I needed to do that anyway.

View attachment 136089

View attachment 136090

wow, that’s a great deal for 12 speed upgrade!

View attachment 136089

View attachment 136090
Nice upgrade you'll like it. When I commute i use maybe the first 3 low gears and never in the high gears. When I take it gravel riding is when I use the high gears climbing puts them to good use

I have a non electric full suspension bike and a non electric hard tail bike. My e-bike is a Creo Turbo SL with a carbon fiber frame. The bike with it battery weighs 27 lbs and rides exactly like my non electric carbon fiber bike on the road. The difference is when there is a 10 mph or greater headwind and the motor assist makes the wind less of a problem.

I don't mind hills as the energy expended going up means energy gained going back down. With wind the only gain is with a tail wind and that seems to occur at most 5% of the time where I live. A side wind has two-thirds the vector force of a headwind so the odds of having to expend more energy to compensate with the greater air drag is common.

It I road on dirt or gravel roads or trails the Vado would be worth considering but for my off the road excursions my FS and HT bikes are what I choose. I am bicycling at much slower speeds and wind is much less of a concern. On the pavement where I am riding at 15-25 mph the pedal assist of the Class III bike compensates for my 70+ year old body. If I can sprint up a hill faster it also means less exposure to inattentive or aggressive motorists who nearly always drive faster than their sight distance allows for stopping or slowing down when overtaking a bicyclist that comes into view.

Some people want to drive a Jeep and others prefer a Miata and nothing bad about either vehicle.

Back