Which is the better lock?

fizzy1000

I have a 12 mm chain to secure my bike and I'm trying to decide between the Kryptonite New York disc lock and the Abus 37/55MB50 Granit Padlock. Any thoughts as to which is more secure? I'm trying to stay under $100.

I think it depends on where you want to lock up and for how long.
Right now I'm using a Abus Bordo Alarm folding lock, but I never leave the bike alone for long.

It will probably be hard to get a definitive answer on which lock is better. I think the practical answer is that either one will prevent honest people from stealing your bike but either one will only slow down a determined thief by roughly an equal amount of time. Both companies have good reps.

TT

The Kryptonite lock is $30 cheaper, if they are equally secure it would come down to the build quality and longevity. I guess that is what I am looking to find out. The bike will be locked outside a business on a bike rack in a public area 4 or 5 days a week for 4 hours or so.

In that situation I'd use your chain and lock and an Abus folding lock like Dave Matthews mentioned and another light cable to loop the saddle in. You need to lock the frame, rear wheel, front wheel, and saddle, or take them with you. Depending on the value of your bike, some kind of alarm or GPS system that alerts your phone would be a good idea. And it depends to some extent on the criminal environment. All of that is probably not enough in NYC. It might be overkill in Mayberry.

TT

Both are solid choices. I use both brands on a regular basis for securing motorcycles and scooters. Neither has ever gotten jammed from lack of care. I'm lazy and just use them till they get tight and add some lube. I will give Abus the slight edge in quality.

Thanks for the advice, I will buy the New York disc lock and save $30, it's a Mayberry situation. I bought an alarm and a couple cable locks, also.

My answer to "Which is the better lock?" is: I always have someone there holding the ebike and ready to scream rape to any unsolicited stranger that touches it.

When my ebikes are home, they are secured in my house's attached garage with alarm and archived 4K cameras.

I looked at locks yesterday and decided I didn’t trust them enough to protect my bike. I’d like to use my bike to run errands but I never did with my old bike and it cost a lot less then my new ebike.

Id go for the kryptonite, I have a ulock and chain both kryptonite, they are both awesome and are great security.

Kryptonite locks all come with a free 1 year theft insurance, you just have to register your bike and lock properly after purchase. Depending on what model lock, the higher stronger rated ones have a higher insurable bike amount, I think they go up to like 5-10k.

Id go for the kryptonite, I have a ulock and chain both kryptonite, they are both awesome and are great security.

Kryptonite locks all come with a free 1 year theft insurance, you just have to register your bike and lock properly after purchase. Depending on what model lock, the higher stronger rated ones have a higher insurable bike amount, I think they go up to like 5-10k.
Yeah, I bought the same setup and also bought a couple of alarms that I activate when I put the bikes away. But if the bad guys really want your bike, they gunna just take it. I rarely ever leave my bikes unattended. I even wrap the cables and Ulocks around them in my garage at night with alarm activated....

I have a Trimax, It’s a heavy-duty chain that most thieves will take a look at and swiftly turn their attention to another bike. This product combines the chain with a durable solid steel disc U-lock. It creates a combination that allows it to be suited for various applications.

If you're going out, it may make sense to get a good U-lock like a Granite 59 Extreme. That'll be lighter overall. An Onguard Brute U-lock is a good value with reasonable angle-grinder resistance (close to 3 minutes of attack time).

If instead you're looking at your situation as the weight not being a problem and really wanting to utilize your chain, then consider a closed-shackle lock because that reduces the bolt exposure. A heavy discus lock uses the same idea.

I've also written a comprehensive essay on bike security if you want more info in general.

Back