Which eMTB to consider? (bought a Levo Comp)

Been burning up the phone lines, over a dozen shops called thus far... one may have a 2020 large in black locally.... Wouldn't mind finding the taupe/orange but at this point I'm not going to fixate on just that.

That's a tall stem you've added there. How much has that brought the rake back? (though I'm not sure I'm using the right term there).

I'm assuming you've added that to provide a slightly more upright riding position? Makes me wonder about L vs XL frame sizes if a tall stem like that brings the bars back a lot.

I've had a lifetime of back and wrist woes, so I fully expect to be tweaking my setup in a similar fashion.
I had to do the same thing from the get go. The stock stem is too low and not far back enough to get a better upright riding position. An adjustable with a couple more spacers seems to do the job. Leaning forward and down is too hard on my back. Problem solved. Professional bike fitting also will help.

I'm vacillating between a Turbo Levo Comp and a Haibike AllMtn.

The challenge being finding a large frame 2020 Turbo Levo Comp, they're in short supply. Bike shops seem too busy to answer e-mails and phone calls are taking a ton of time trying to call them individually.
FYI-Based on my own experience, I have found the Turbo Levo Comp geometries run small in a large frame size. Something to keep in mind for a tall person. ;) 👍

Last edited:
I can wait. I'd prefer not to, of course. But I've had past hassles with "buy what's available" bikes... not making that mistake again. It'd be one thing if this was just some random >$300 throw-away thing used for a beach trip or something. But at $5k... I'm inclined to want to get what I actually want, not what's left over.
If the wait is what it takes before purchase, I agree with you on that. Back in the day, it could take me 1-2 years to find exactly the car I was looking for. In the interim, I would just own a cheap daily driver. Same strategy with an E-bike purchase IMO! Happy shopping.

FOUND ONE. Bought a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp, in flat black. From Spokes Etc. at their Arlington location. After calling just about every shop in the DC/MD/VA area they had both the only remaining 2020 with a Large frame, and this one that's XL. I'm right on the edge of Specialized's website advice on frame sizes between a Large and an XL. Riding them back-to-back revealed the XL has just a little more overall 'space' for me. The Large wouldn't have been a problem, but I did find the Medium too small.

With luck I'll get out on it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back on a bike!

20200604_170719.jpg

FOUND ONE. Bought a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp, in flat black. From Spokes Etc. at their Arlington location. After calling just about every shop in the DC/MD/VA area they had both the only remaining 2020 with a Large frame, and this one that's XL. I'm right on the edge of Specialized's website advice on frame sizes between a Large and an XL. Riding them back-to-back revealed the XL has just a little more overall 'space' for me. The Large wouldn't have been a problem, but I did find the Medium too small.

With luck I'll get out on it tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back on a bike!

View attachment 54429

Congratulations... you will look back and wonder why you did not get it years ago. Long may you ride! ;)

Last edited:
A few rides around the neighborhood and I'm delighted with the assistance on the hills. Just the right amount of assist. It's a tremendous improvement over un-assisted. I still get plenty of pedaling, but without the sudden knee pains. That and the dropper seat is great for easier leg-over mounting. I don't mind the regular height but it's so easy to drop/lift it.

Though I can't say I'm a fan of the stock grips. But then I'm well out of practice and will probably appreciate them more once I get some new gloves.

With the grips, I can safely recommend the Ergon GP3 if they are available in the U.S. under the present situation. The stock saddle might be surprisingly good (I found the Specialized saddle I got with my Vado not the best for commuting but it's found its place on my e-MTB!) The pedals are your personal choice. I'm surprised your Levo came with some pedals because bikes of such class are sold without the pedals (the rider makes their own choice).

View attachment 54429
Way to go!! Welcome to the E-bike club. Hope you do not have any wrist or back issues with your new ride! Looks awesome indeed. All that time and hard work on the hunt always pays off nicely. Well done!

With the grips, I can safely recommend the Ergon GP3 if they are available in the U.S. under the present situation. The stock saddle might be surprisingly good (I found the Specialized saddle I got with my Vado not the best for commuting but it's found its place on my e-MTB!) The pedals are your personal choice. I'm surprised your Levo came with some pedals because bikes of such class are sold without the pedals (the rider makes their own choice).

Yes, the pedals was something I didn't know about, it had these on there since this was already assembled. I didn't think to ask. I've had Shimano half-clip-half-cage pedals in the past, along with some mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. I'll be shopping for new shoes soon, I suppose and then considering the half/half pedal arrangement again. That'll be fodder for a fresh forum search and questions.

Yes, the pedals was something I didn't know about, it had these on there since this was already assembled. I didn't think to ask. I've had Shimano half-clip-half-cage pedals in the past, along with some mountain bike shoes with SPD cleats. I'll be shopping for new shoes soon, I suppose and then considering the half/half pedal arrangement again. That'll be fodder for a fresh forum search and questions.

The Shimano flip pedals are a great option... I also ride with MTB shoes and SPD cleats and enjoy the ability to walk around without slipping after a ride. ;)

Buy CrankBrothers Stamp 1 platform pedals and good MTB cycling shoes such as Adidad FiveTen FreeRider Pro. Better than any clipless pedals/shoes. Bear in mind that sometimes you'll need to support your body with a leg on cornering. Clipless pedals/shoes lost their importance for e-MTB nowadays.

I know that you are going to use the bike part on the street and part on the trails, and maybe you are thinking about the Shimano half/half pedals to get more pedaling efficiency on the street?

If thinking about clipping in while on the trail, fully understand that e-bikes are a lot heavier than standard bikes, and if you can't get unclipped in time during an off-road spill (more likely to happen off-road than on the street) you wind up with a whole lot of e-bike on top of you...

As a good, basic, inexpensive pedal I use the RaceFace Chesters, both on the off-road bikes and the more basic street-oriented bikes. I do have clip-ins on the Turbo Vado 4.0 and the Raleigh Tamland iE as I'm generally riding those faster for a work out on the street and want any extra efficiency.

Clips on the past helped work around knee pain. Less necessary now with pedal assist. Half style also allowed for being unclipped for hairier parts of trail, because of the potential for tipping hazards. Might just throw my old SPDs back on as a test.

CrankBrothers FTW.
A lot of mtb'rs like the nylon compound for the softer hit when you 'pedal strike'. Plus the anodizing color of an alloy isn't there to wear off.
I have Shadows on the Explore and Stamp1 on the Trance. Could not be happier.
There is no way I would clip-in on a mountain bike.

MTB makes great saddles.
ODI makes great grips.

I got an extra set of complete wheels to instantly convert mine to 'super-motard'...

CrankBrothers FTW.
A lot of mtb'rs like the nylon compound for the softer hit when you 'pedal strike'. Plus the anodizing color of an alloy isn't there to wear off.
I have Shadows on the Explore and Stamp1 on the Trance. Could not be happier. There is no way I would clip-in on a mountain bike.

MTB makes great saddles.
ODI makes great grips.

I got an extra set of complete wheels to instantly convert mine to 'super-motard'...

Good advice... did you mean WTB saddles?

Back