Which Ebike should I save up for?

locator 3

I'm saving up for a ebike and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. They are: Prodecotech Stride 400 folding with torque sensor purchased from the site, Radcity step thru, and Izip E3 Brio step thru. Which one should I get, also if you're going to make a different suggestion it has to be be sub 2k, have a pedal assist, and a step thru frame

Of your 3 I would go with the RadCity for two reasons:
1. The Izip Brio uses the SR Suntour ATS system, the controller and battery mount for which have in the past proven unreliable in Carerra brand budget ebikes sold by Halfords in the UK (see this UK Pedelecs forum thread)
2. Prodecotech have gone AWOL, no recent reviews, customer service concerns expressed on this forum eg see this thread from earlier this year)

Other step-through candidates <$2k might include:
1. Motobecane Elite eAdventure step-through eMTB model from Bikesdirect with full size 700c wheels, uses the new Shimano Steps E6100 motor, plenty of local ebike shops service Shimano Steps motors, and at 46lb it's the lightest bike on this list.
2. Ariel Rider C-Class uses a Dapu mid-drive and Nexus 8 IGH on a frame very similar to the RadCity Step-thru. The advantage of the IGH is you can shift gears when stopped at a light which is useful for riding in stop-go city traffic.
3. Blix Aveny, recently upgraded to a 48v/500w geared hub motor and the ability to add a front frame-mounted rack same as the RadCity & Ariel Rider C-Class. Nice step-through bike.
4. Schwinn Constance cruiser model from Walmart, priced same as the RadCity, uses the Bafang Max mid-drive motor, Court reviewed it here when the Schwinn brand owner Pacific Cycle was initially pricing it too high, at 51lb it's lighter weight than the other bikes except the Motobecane. Pacific Cycle also make a cheaper made-for-Walmart step-through model called the Schwinn EC-1 which is not as comfortable or as good at going up hills as the Constance.

Of the 4 bikes I suggest, the Motobecane is a mountain bike, the Schwinn is a cruiser, and the Ariel Rider and Blix are closest to the RadCity in design. Usually it's a good idea to test ride different types of bike to find the one that fits you best, but most of these are sold online, Blix are sold though bike shops so you might find a dealer local to you where you can test ride the Aveny and have it serviced (this is a big deal). The Schwinn is sold by Walmart but they likely won't have one in store to test ride - they ship from warehouse to store and assemble the bike (for an extra $49) but only if you buy it first through them so you would need to return it if you find you don't like it. The hassle of returning a bike you buy online after assembly is a pain so check each companies returns policy carefully to find out who pays for return shipping and if there is a restocking fee, Ariel Rider is the most restrictive you pay for return shipping plus a 25% restocking fee, must be within 14 days, and the box has to be unopened which precludes assembling it for a test ride. RadPower bikes are at least trying to expand their test ride options, or ask in a local cycling group if anyone has a RadCity you can test ride.

Last edited:
Good point, ebikes are not a one-time purchase they need servicing and/or warranty repair work. With the Rad and Ariel Rider you would be relying on remote customer service by telephone from the brand unless you could find a local ebike shop prepared to look at the electrics, though to be fair there is an active Rad owners facebook group and lots sold so you're probably able to use them to locate a sympathetic local ebike shop. With the Schwinn I'd suggest buying a Walmart protection plan which should cover 1 battery replacement under warranty, a no-lemon clause allowing you to return it if you have 3 covered repairs, and free shipping from your local Walmart store to their nearest ebike repair center, it seems like a good deal at $77 for 4 years - but I can't tell if the Walmart Protection Plan extends the Schwinn warranty on the electrics beyond 2-years, so it might be worth checking with Walmart before you buy. Bikesdirect sell with a factory warranty so you ought to be able to get the electrics repaired by any Shimano Steps dealer and you would pay their hourly labor rates to have them work on your bike. Blix are sold though local bike shops who presumably would service the bikes they sold.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions, about support, I live in the salt lake valley in Utah. There are two independent ebike shops that I'm aware of. One of them will touch Rad's the other won't. Should that be a factor in my decision

Thank you for the suggestions, about support, I live in the salt lake valley in Utah. There are two independent ebike shops that I'm aware of. One of them will touch Rad's the other won't. Should that be a factor in my decision
It would not be a factor if you know how to troubleshoot and replace electrical bike components. Or, if you are mechanically inclined and willing to learn. But if you've never used a multimeter, and are not willing to troubleshoot and randomly replace parts, then buy local.

The one you can afford, with the biggest battery, Ah, you can afford.

Ok Thomas, what about engine efficiency and torque?
A bunch of gobbledygook for most riders. Just what do you expect the bike to do? Honestly, I'd save more. Adding even $500-$750 can make a BIG difference. I can spend $2000 in wholesale parts and still have a mediocre bike.

BUT you really don't tell us what you expect for speed, mileage, topography, etc. All I know about SLC, is that there's a big church with a very big choir, and I couldn't go in.

Ok Thomas, what about engine efficiency and torque?
On many steep hills, I find geared hub motor to use about 2/3 the electricity on the same route @ 8-12 mph, of a DD drive hub motor of similar wattage(1200 geared-1000dd). On the flat at 16-25 mph the DD hub motor will be more efficient. My geared hub motor won't go that fast.
If you tend to pedal yourself, geared hub motor and yamaha mid drive drag the least. Some shimano mid drives may have the slip clutch for unpowered efficienty. Ultimate efficiency over varying terrain can be achieved with a mid drive and close use of the various speeds of the derailleur: at the cost of replacing chains periodically. Most mid-drives are lower in power than you can buy as a kit in hub drives. IGH (internal gear hubs) for mid drives are inefficient at any speed, they rotate all the unused gearsets all the time. An 8 speed sturmey-archer IGH extended my pedaling (unmpowered) time over 30 miles about 20%.

I'd shop used. It requires patience, but $2K should be able to get you a very nice option in the SLC area. E.g.: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) Also, in that area, I wouldn't worry about, or limit my option based on, service options. That is, generally, more shops than we think will/can service e-bikes, and the number is growing. Also, generally, the better (and better-known) bike you get, the less you'll have to worry about servicing -true for e- or non-e bikes. Enjoy the learning, shopping, learning, and your eventual choice.

Ok, so the salt lake valley is a gentile incline in until you reach the east or west sides then the incline increases as well as the hills. Where I live now, West Valley City, is relatively flat. However the writers group in Lehi has some steep inclines, but that's only once a week. I'll likely use the bike in the winter with the appropriate tires

Izip E3 Brio step thru. Which one should I get?

Regarding my earlier comment about the reliability of the SR Suntour ATS system, I contacted Court and he kindly contacted Raleigh Electric and posted their reply on the Raleigh brand sub-forum, in short they have faith in the system and are standing behind the product, so maybe take one for a test ride and see what you think.

Back