When i hit a bump my throttle cuts off and then resume.. Anyone help please

Shawnski

The other day I was riding my Rover and after I hit a bump the motor stoped and then resumed, now last night I hit a bump and the lights also went out but came back on..... Please someone help me, I just moved to Florida and this is My main and only means of transportationį and I dont want to break down or get into an accidental night.
Thank you ...

Sounds familiar. I was once shut down when the knurled knobs on the main power connector came loose and disconnected. It was probably loose from the factory and since reconnecting it has never caused any more problems.
If it is connected, it could be faulty so it should be checked to make sure no water is in there or any leads are not connected properly. You will find it up front in the wire harness running from the frame up to the LED readout screen.
Suggest that you still contact RAD Power Bikes to see what they say.

Sounds familiar. I was once shut down when the knurled knobs on the main power connector came loose and disconnected. It was probably loose from the factory and since reconnecting it has never caused any more problems.
If it is connected, it could be faulty so it should be checked to make sure no water is in there or any leads are not connected properly. You will find it up front in the wire harness running from the frame up to the LED readout screen.
Suggest that you still contact RAD Power Bikes to see what they say.
Well I apreciate the info Bandai, I am waiting to hear from Rad and from what I hear theu are good with the customers

Rad Power bike might have you do what @Banzai suggest of double-checking all connections to make sure they are tight and properly secured. They might ask if you have any error codes or conditions when you have the issue (any size bumps, big bumps only, only in PAS mode, only when it is wet, etc...). They might ask you to double-check to make sure non of the wiring has plenty of slack and isn't being over stretched at the connection points. They might even have you take a video of the issue if you can recreate the same conditions again.

If they can't figure out the issue, Rad might send you a new LCD, wiring harness, and controller. I would change one at a time to narrow down the issue compared to changing all three at the same time.

The other day I was riding my Rover and after I hit a bump the motor stoped and then resumed, now last night I hit a bump and the lights also went out but came back on..... Please someone help me, I just moved to Florida and this is My main and only means of transportationį and I dont want to break down or get into an accidental night.
Thank you ...

When I got my new Luna Giant with BBSHD, it cuts off on the bumps. I checked everything and it seems fine except for the battery mounting that seems not adequate to control the vibration on the bumps. I placed a buckled belt and the problem went away for good. The buckle makes it very convenient and it's a snap to exchange to a second battery.

1530969414691.png

When I got my new Luna Giant with BBSHD, it cuts off on the bumps. I checked everything and it seems fine except for the battery mounting that seems not adequate to control the vibration on the bumps. I placed a buckled belt and the problem went away for good. The buckle makes it very convenient and it's a snap to exchange to a second battery.

View attachment 23401

Well done, Mark!

The Hailong cases with old style 4 blade connectors should be checked and serviced often. An anti corrosive like Boeshield or ACF 50 treatment can help avoid serious problems. Or upgrade the connectors.

Reactions: JRA
The Hailong cases with old style 4 blade connectors should be checked and serviced often. An anti corrosive like Boeshield or ACF 50 treatment can help avoid serious problems. Or upgrade the connectors.

I am 3,000 miles now and always removed my battery for charging but haven't even thought of checking the connectors since the power cut off on the bumps never happened anymore after I placed the high tension belt around my battery.

Maybe I should look closer, since a quick glance on the contacts looks fine and shiny.

I needed to remove my battery tray when I installed my Luna Cycle triangle bag. I once forgot to lock my battery down when trail riding and the battery tray slide down and that caused the power shut off. Added loctite to the battery tray screws and I now always lock the battery into the tray.

I am 3,000 miles now and always removed my battery for charging but haven't even thought of checking the connectors since the power cut off on the bumps never happened anymore after I placed the high tension belt around my battery.

Maybe I should look closer, since a quick glance on the contacts looks fine and shiny.
It's those that don't ever remove and check that have problems. Especially after riding in dirt, mud and rain. I'm sold on the avionic products used by Boeing and other aircraft!
I needed to remove my battery tray when I installed my Luna Cycle triangle bag. I once forgot to lock my battery down when trail riding and the battery tray slide down and that caused the power shut off. Added loctite to the battery tray screws and I now always lock the battery into the tray.
Be careful, those Luna bags are half the cost of others for a reason. Lots of zipper failures. Both of mine blew out in short order. Once dumping a battery on the deck and cracking a case.

I put my Luna Bags on both rovers on Nov/16 and ride all year paved road to single track from 15 degrees to 105 degrees with zero issues with the both bags after +4600 miles between both ebikes. I've do get caught in a few rain storms riding home; but, I try to ride in the dry most of the time.

Do you have a triangle frame bag you recommend?
Actually several good choices. EM3ev, which I actually sold dozens of, including to Luna before they made their own low budget cardboard lined. I stopped selling bags and instead refer people to Falcon Ev, Electric Rider (nice features like hooded slots, a suggested they add additional ports). I like two those best. Reention are by far the best but 3-5 times the cost. Electric Rider was going to produce some without the embroidered logos. Electric Raider also included nice foam, covered with nylon, padding for inside the case. Falcon web site is a bit antiquated but nice. If I were to replace one of mine, I’d likely do ER. They seemed the most interested in making small changes that would improve the bag. BTW the Luna bags were made without a slot for wires and best fit for a mid drive. They were razor cut, revealing the cardboard liner.

Attachments

• 65DAF98A-8DAE-4185-AED8-BD3D34E55F42.png
    65DAF98A-8DAE-4185-AED8-BD3D34E55F42.png
    539.4 KB · Views: 611
  • 67434BB4-D052-4696-B0A4-55B5D76579E9.png
    67434BB4-D052-4696-B0A4-55B5D76579E9.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 9E589EF2-3CA3-4127-926E-A6380330DF65.jpeg
    9E589EF2-3CA3-4127-926E-A6380330DF65.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 468
  • AB71AA68-C654-42EB-BADA-C1BF73AA5C6A.jpeg
    AB71AA68-C654-42EB-BADA-C1BF73AA5C6A.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 451
I put my Luna Bags on both rovers on Nov/16 and ride all year paved road to single track from 15 degrees to 105 degrees with zero issues with the both bags after +4600 miles between both ebikes. I've do get caught in a few rain storms riding home; but, I try to ride in the dry most of the time.
Great, it’s always good when someone is happy with their purchase. Only one other decent bag sells for $25, but doubles when EM3ev ships from China. Who did you deal with at Luna back then?

Great, it’s always good when someone is happy with their purchase. Only one other decent bag sells for $25, but doubles when EM3ev ships from China. Who did you deal with at Luna back then?

I just ordered on-line from the Luna website. It does have the cardboard bottom, small metal vent holes, and internal velcro straps. I just cut three holes in the cardboard for mounting the battery tray inside, removed the internal velcro straps, use a zip tie for the section near the top of the seatpost, and cut a larger hole at the bottom for the battery try wire. I zip/unzip the double-zipper bag several times a day and 3-5 times a week to power up the rover or plug in the recharge cable. No hint of failing with my level of use.

Last edited:
Back