What's the top speed you got on your WW, with the 2300W? 35mph possible?

@ecotrichammer My top speed on my WWUC so far is 41 mph. I say "so far" because I was only in Sport mode 3. I haven't had a need to bounce to Sport mode 5, at least not yet, and generally speeds in the 30mph range have been taking care of my jaunts.

@ecotrichammer My top speed on my WWUC so far is 41 mph. I say "so far" because I was only in Sport mode 3. I haven't had a need to bounce to Sport mode 5, at least not yet, and generally speeds in the 30mph range have been taking care of my jaunts.
Are you kidding me? WOW, on flat ground? 2300W, or.

How much miles have you put on it, so far reliable yes? What's the typical maintenance for you?

@ecotrichammer I'm being honest, no joking around. The road was relatively flat, there may have been a slight decline or incline, but definitely not something I'd call a visible hill. Back in March of this year I've logged in over 2000 miles. I've found the Ultra motor, Gates Belt, and Rohloff speed hub, incredibly reliable. The only issues I've had were due to a bad pedal, and a puncture on the front tube that fortunately happened at home.

In regards to maintenance, I check the air pressure on a weekly basis, as well as do a visual check of the Gates belt, Gates chainring and rear sprocket.
In the last couple of months I've replaced the disc pads for the front and rear Magura disc brakes.
When I hit 3000 miles I'll need to change the oil in the Rohloff speedhub.

You must have a 44 tooth chain ring or larger. No?

About 33 mph is the fastest I can go on flat ground with 2000/2300 watt Wattwagon CrossTour. I would say 28mph is the fastest that I can maintain continuously. Going from Econo mode to Sport mode makes no difference on my CrossTour.

I’ve posted this in the past but on my Travelanche 2300 watt 42 tooth front sprocket 39.5mph on flat ground pedaling at a high pace in eco level 3.
86B27C5F-4D78-470E-AD83-FDFBC44D7E92.jpeg

@reed scott, I have a 60 tooth chainring and a 19 tooth count rear cog.
Roughly 3 to 1. A cassette and a 40 or 44 tooth chain ring would give 4 to 1. This interests me as I might have a Kindernay hub some day. I don't care to go over thirty but I might want to cruise at say 25 at a reasonable cadence once in a while if I ever find myself on paved ground. Am I looking at a limitation of the IGH approach?

Reactions: Ayl
@reed scott my guess is it's not a limitation on the IGH. I've googled the specs on a Frey AM 1000, and provided you're still using this ebike, the setup is not too different from mine, and on a side note that's a nice looking ebike. On a flat road I can reach a 25 mph cruising speed on Eco 3, but my Bafang Ultra was upgraded with the Archon controller. If you're not reaching this cruise velocity could it be due to the stock controller on your Bafang Ultra?

IIRC the wattage is about how fast you get up to speed, the more watts the faster the acceleration. 1000W-2300W have about the same top speed everything else being equal. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

This is an easy test. Run 250W, then run 2000W. The 2000W will 99% of the time go faster. Once you run out of gearing, yes, lower Wattage will be as fast (downhill is a great example), but move to a larger rider, add some wind resistance/saddle bags or winter clothing, hills, etc, the higher Wattage will indeed get to a much higher speed. 1000W to 2300W though, since you can reach higher speeds, you do also introduce a lot more drag at that higher speed, especially with an upright position. It takes lot more Wattage to get a few mph faster.

An everyday commuter may average 130W pedaling and 15mph speed. Stick them on a 2000W ebike, they'll be going 30+. Down a 12 degree decline, the manual pedaler may hit 25mph.

Being a taller rider with large saddle bags and parachute-like rain jacket at speed, I expect 2300W on the helios to not be too much faster than my drop bar bike with BBSHD - the helios will have far more drag with its riding position. It will have far less Voltage sag due to larger battery capacity/lower discharge current per cell. More Wattage to the motor, and potentially higher speed, depending on the gearing. The BBSHD bike goes about 4mph faster at the top end when going from 1100W/20A to 1600W/30A. Hits maybe 32mph without wind on the flats - XL bike, over 6ft rider, large ortlieb saddle bags filled on the sides. All speeds are power limited, not gearing - this is one and two down from the smallest cassette rings

Last edited:
Back