What's the Best Electric Bike, or at Least Your Favorite!

I have a Haibike trekking 6.0 with Yamaha motor and my wife's bike is a Gazelle Easy Flow with Shimano Steps. The Gazelle is super easy to ride and shift as long as you remember to let off pedal pressure first and that's something that took my wife awhile to get used to. She loves the enclosed chain and the clean look of the Nexus hub and seems to have all the gear range she wants. I prefer my Haibike with 10 speeds in back and two chain rings up front and the Yamaha drive is more refined and natural than the shimano steps.. The shimano has more power though that I wish my Yamaha motor had. The Yamaha drive is quieter and I have a great range of gears for any type of riding. We ride 99% on paved bike trails or road shoulders but I'd like a bike with full suspension and wider tires next so I can ride off road. This was our first summer with ebikes and we really enjoyed them. Both bikes have been reliable except for the Gazelle that needed a front brake adjustment that I couldn't figure out how to do, not a fan of hydraulic rim brakes. The Haibike has been perfect. 1,100mi. on mine and 500mi. on hers.

I have a Haibike trekking 6.0 with Yamaha motor and my wife's bike is a Gazelle Easy Flow with Shimano Steps. The Gazelle is super easy to ride and shift as long as you remember to let off pedal pressure first and that's something that took my wife awhile to get used to. She loves the enclosed chain and the clean look of the Nexus hub and seems to have all the gear range she wants. I prefer my Haibike with 10 speeds in back and two chain rings up front and the Yamaha drive is more refined and natural than the shimano steps.. The shimano has more power though that I wish my Yamaha motor had. The Yamaha drive is quieter and I have a great range of gears for any type of riding. We ride 99% on paved bike trails or road shoulders but I'd like a bike with full suspension and wider tires next so I can ride off road. This was our first summer with ebikes and we really enjoyed them. Both bikes have been reliable except for the Gazelle that needed a front brake adjustment that I couldn't figure out how to do, not a fan of hydraulic rim brakes. The Haibike has been perfect. 1,100mi. on mine and 500mi. on hers.

Mind if I ask which Yamaha and Shimano motors do you have. My experience with these two motors is the opposite of yours. I have bikes with the Yamaha PW-X and Shimano E8000 motors, both on mountain bikes. I like them both, I find the Yamaha has more power and the Shimano better tuned and more refined, that's for mountain biking mind you. Thanks

Same motors on ours. LOL... Funny how our experiences are exactly opposite however ours are both pavement bikes.. EDIT:.. correction, her Gazelle has the steps 6000, not the 8000

Last edited:
The best Electric bicycle is anything under 3,500.00 from a well established brand with shocks or large tires after you replace the petals (origin8 slimline platform) and the grips (Bontrager lock on) and the seatpost (thudbuster)

I've had 3 bikes, A Peak Lectro MTB which was really good, the assistance was fine but the brakes, steering and general feel of the bike was poor. I then had a Carrera Crossfire which was a great bike but the motor kept cutting out so it went back. I now have a Trek Super Commuter 8+...wow. I know they are expensive, this was +£3k but worth every penny

I also thank Court for creating and maintaining this very informative website!

If I don't count an ebike conversion kit from LEED, I have owned two ebikes. The LEED kit did not fit any of my three conventional bikes, but it was impossible to tell until I received the kit. LEED gave me a credit towards the purchase of a Magnum Ui5, the only bike they had in stock in my size. I feel LEED should have fully refunded the conversion kit purchase for misrepresenting the "universal" (NOT!) fit of their kit.

As for the Magnum Ui5, LEED also misrepresented that it was a floor model in mint condition. It looked more used than a floor model judging by the scratches on the frame. After the sale, LEED told me that any questions or support would have to be provided by Magnum itself. So, zero support from the dealer!

The ride quality of the Magnum Ui5 was harsh and unforgiving. The throttle was useless. The rear hub drive affected handling negatively, specially in turns or slaloms. After six months I sold it.

I replaced the Magnum Ui5 with a Haibike AllMtn Plus with a mid-drive Yamaha motor, a big step up in quality and price. I love the Haibike and its Yamaha motor. The only major failure was the dropper seat post, which stopped working after 2 ½ years. I replaced it with a better quality dropper post. Other than that, nothing has gone wrong in 3 ½ years and over 8,000 miles. Just regular maintenance, replacing the chain and brake pads.

Of course, I have customized my Haibike. It was tubeless-ready, so I went tubeless and it made a big difference in avoiding punctures. I replaced the handlebars with a Jones H-bar. I replaced the grips with ergonomic grips. I fitted an Old Man Mountain fat tire rack, and hung Ortlieb panniers on it. I replaced the saddle with an SMP TRK saddle. I replaced the pedals with better quality mountain bike pedals. I added lights, a bell, and a mirror. The battery is still going strong, but I am disappointed that Yamaha batteries have not come down in price after more than three years. That's it!

Wow, so many youngsters on here! I've been riding most of my life only taking a break when I was working so far back in the bush there was no where to ride a bike if I had of had one. I competed in mountain biking when it started in the eighties and I was old then being over 80 now, I was old even for the masters class I competed in. No trails then just had to follow the yellow ribbons through the trees or rocks. I still ride every day for at least an hour. I'll list the eBikes I currently own starting with my favourites.

-Biktrix Juggernaut BBSHD, 3" tires. Really well tuned Bafang mid drive.

-BH AtomX 6 Lynx Pro, Brose S mid drive mountain bike.

-Easy Motion Rebel Lynx 5.5, Yamaha PW-X mid drive mountain bike.

-Pedego Platinum Interceptor, mostly ridden now by children and grandchildren.

-Radrover 4" fat tire, lacking in power but good now after I upgraded the controller to 35 amps. Fun in the snow.

-eProdigy Magic Pro, nice proprietary mid drive motor, but this step through suffers from frame flex and speed wobble.

-Wattwaggon Ultimate Commuter, nice components but in hindsight I would buy from an experienced and established company like R&M.

- I have just purchased a Felt Sport E50, Shimano mid drive, I haven't had a chance to get out on it due to inclement weather, it looks great at 42 pounds with decent components. Grabbed it at a Black Friday sale.

- I previously owned a Voltbike Yukon and Haibike Trekking Sduro 9 Bosch mid drive, the Yukon was just bad and I didn't like the Bosch drive and sold both bikes.

I live between three lakes with nice riding, rail trails etc, we have a lot of friends and family visiting which is the reason I have a number of bikes, it's great getting out and riding with children, grandchildren, and friends.

Last edited:
Wow, so many youngsters on here! I've been riding most of my life only taking a break when I was working so far back in the bush there was no where to ride a bike if I had of had one. I competed in mountain biking when it started in the eighties and I was old then being over 80 now, I was old even for the masters class I competed in. No trails then just had to follow the yellow ribbons through the trees or rocks. I still ride every day for at least an hour. I'll list the eBikes I currently own starting with my favourites.

-Biktrix Juggernaut BBSHD, 3" tires. Really well tuned Bafang mid drive.

-BH AtomX 6 Lynx Pro, Brose S mid drive mountain bike.

-Easy Motion Rebel Lynx 5.5, Yamaha PW-X mid drive mountain bike.

-Pedego Platinum Interceptor, mostly ridden now by children and grandchildren.

-Radrover 4" fat tire, lacking in power but good now after I upgraded the controller to 35 amps. Fun in the snow.

-eProdigy Magic Pro, nice proprietary mid drive motor, but this step through suffers from frame flex and speed wobble.

-Wattwaggon Ultimate Commuter, nice components but in hindsight I would buy from an experienced and established company like R&M.

- I have just purchased a Felt Sport E50, Shimano mid drive, I haven't had a chance to get out on it due to inclement weather, it looks great at 42 pounds with decent components. Grabbed it at a Black Friday sale.

- I previously owned a Voltbike Yukon and Haibike Trekking Sduro 9 Bosch mid drive, the Yukon was just bad and I didn't like the Bosch drive and sold both bikes.

I live between three lakes with nice riding, rail trails etc, we have a lot of friends and family visiting which is the reason I have a number of bikes, it's great getting out and riding with children, grandchildren, and friends.
Congrats on your new Felt! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Court, I really enjoy your reviews! Keep up the great work!

Congrats on your new Felt! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Court, I really enjoy your reviews! Keep up the great work!

Thanks. You're responsible and you will have to deal with my wife! I could only find one anywhere and the guy in the video you posted had it at Citrus cycles, it was on sale so of course I bought it,

Thanks. You're responsible and you will have to deal with my wife! I could only find one anywhere and the guy in the video you posted had it at Citrus cycles, it was on sale so of course I bought it,
....well, if you prefer an eBike that rides and feels more like a quality analog bike versus one that feels like your piloting a loaded school bus, I think you’ll be quite happy!! 😜

....well, if you prefer an eBike that rides and feels more like a quality analog bike versus one that feels like your piloting a loaded school bus, I think you’ll be quite happy!! 😜

Right, I still can't believe it's so light, it must fly up hills.

I wish Court would review it.

Right, I still can't believe it's so light, it must fly up hills.

I wish Court would review it.
Just wait! Climbing steep hills in Boost literally makes me giggle every time! Most hills can easily be climbed in Trail, but Boost takes it to another level. Lol. Enjoy!

Edit: My girlfriend has a Trek Verve+ with Bosch’s entry level drive that she absolutely loves. This past summer we were riding in a state park up in Door County WI. There was a particular hill that required everyone we saw on analog bikes to have to stop and walk their bikes up. She was able to climb it, but struggled to maintain 5mph and was pretty winded when she reached the top. I on the other hand, had no problem maintaining almost 15 mph all the way up and didn’t break a sweat. It was so much fun, that I turned around and went back down so I could do it again. She was not amused....!

Last edited:
That's funny! Did you change the output settings for the different modes, trail, Eco, and boost etc? I can't wait to get mine after reading your post. Thanks for your feedback.

Back