Direct to consumer-bypass the local bike shop? This will become a long thread

I suppose if I had to choose today it’d likely be the Vado, removing fenders and switching to a Topeak MTX rack.
If you plan removing fenders, a Tero (non-EQ) would be a better choice. That's because many things are tightly integrated in Specialized e-bikes and you really do not want to fight it later :)

I have tried a Tero. As a full power e-bike, it feels lightweight (especially the 5.0 non-EQ). It is because the weight distribution is perfect in the 5.0. (Less expensive models feel front heavy).
P.S. Tero is Class 1. I tend to forget about it as almost all Euro e-bikes are just 25 km/h restricted.

Last edited:
Regarding the discussion, I understand the online sales model will not pertain to e-bikes. As my Specialized LBS is Tier 1, I would not let them down.

If you plan removing fenders, a Tero (non-EQ) would be a better choice. That's because many things are tightly integrated in Specialized e-bikes and you really do not want to fight it later :)

I have tried a Tero. As a full power e-bike, it feels lightweight (especially the 5.0 non-EQ). It is because the weight distribution is perfect in the 5.0. (Less expensive models feel front heavy).
P.S. Tero is Class 1. I tend to forget about it as almost all Euro e-bikes are just 25 km/h restricted.

Correct, Tero is Class 1 and I'm unsure if I'll find that to be an issue vs the Class 3 Vado / Vado SL (I'm in the US) for my riding. As the weather gets warmer I'll try out my wife's Class 1 ebike more (she bought it in the late fall) and see if I find it to be a limitation.

Do you find the lower gearing to be a limitation? My hybrid has a 36T middle chainring and I can outspin that on a slight downhill, and find myself in the 48T big ring which matches the Vado. (Interestingly I see the specs for the 2022 Vado SL 5.0 show 44x11-50 rather than the 44x10-45 of the 2021 model.)

And yes, the ship direct to consumer does not apply to ebikes, which already had the Specialized Delivery and Store Pickup options.

Last edited:
Do you find the lower gearing to be a limitation?
Not at all! My Vado 5.0 (45 km/h) had come with a 48T chainring and 11-46T cassette. To make the e-bike suitable for serious mountain road trips, I replaced the chainring with a 38T one. That let me do some 19% grade climbs. (I do not pedal on substantial descents). After I returned to the plains, I found the small chainring as one offering my Vado improbable acceleration at the cost of the top speed (I generally slowed my rides down to the level equivalent to Class 1). On the other hand, I use my Vado SL 4.0 on the plains only, so I keep the 44T chainring but reduced the cassette to 11-36T for less jumps between gears in my 10-speed drive-train.

It's a new world. Folks out there will research the purchase of a new bike completely online and never even ride the one they buy. They'll just be happy it only took a click to arrive at their door and is ready to ride in front of a friend's house. :)

It's a new world. Folks out there will research the purchase of a new bike completely online and never even ride the one they buy. They'll just be happy it only took a click to arrive at their door and is ready to ride in front of a friend's house. :)
The Vosper article is very informative. From the LBS and industry POV.

It and some of the posts have reminded me that the D2C model does not include E-Bikes. Or at least not as described in the press. I have a few thoughts about that.

If retailers ultimately stop carrying Specialized because they loose too many analog bike sales there won’t be any Specialized ebike dealers either.

D2C can actually be beneficial to many dealers as they won’t have the costs of obtaining and managing inventory. Customers would order for delivery to the dealer for assembly and fit For which the dealer gets a fee. And profits from sales and installation of accessories and upgrades. They might have samples for fitting, test rides and rental providing additional income opportunities.

Current or potential customers who are not near Specialized dealers would be able to buy Specialized bikes. If there are mobile repair companies service might not be an issue.

Time will tell.

There are three choices to receive the bike - pick it up fully assembled at the local dealer, or have it delivered fully assembled by someone from Specialized (usually via local dealer), or get it in a box and have to do final assembly yourself.

All three cost the same, so which would you choose?

I'm going to speculate that this won't be nearly as impactful to the LBS dealer network as many seem to fear.

There are three choices to receive the bike - pick it up fully assembled at the local dealer, or have it delivered fully assembled by someone from Specialized (usually via local dealer), or get it in a box and have to do final assembly yourself.

All three cost the same, so which would you choose?

I'm going to speculate that this won't be nearly as impactful to the LBS dealer network as many seem to fear.
I agree.

The folks who freak out about being their own mechanic will go to an LBS. The folks who don’t have dealers nearby will get it delivered for assembly and become mechanical if they are not already so skilled. The folks who want it delivered assembled want an LBS relationship but don’t have the wherewithal to visit the dealer at the time of delivery or don’t have a vehicle that would carry an assembled bike. (There are, of course, numerous other reasons. These are just examples from my fervid imagination. )

Back