What's it like to ride a fat bike?

In reference to fat tire bikes, I'm trying to decide between a couple different e-bikes, one which is a fat tire bike. One has Schwalbe Super-Moto X 27.5” x 2.4” tires and the other has Kenda K-Shield Puncture Resistance 26" x 4" tires. I ride mostly on country asphalt roads, but it never fails that at some point during the summer, they will dump gravel on some roads or sections of roads that I ride on, and they are pure hell to ride on with my Trek hybrid's 35c tires until the following summer when the gravel gets packed down and smoothed out somewhat. Also, some of the roads I ride on are cracked/chipped and not very pleasurable on the 35c tires as well. The gravel is the worst, though. Does this sounds like a situation where a fat bike would be preferred, or should 2.4" tires be sufficient? I know there are some bikes with options around 3", but they were crossed off my list for other reasons. I often see references to riding on trails, snow, and sand with fat tire bikes, but that would not apply to my riding. It's those stretches of freshly poured gravel that I'm concerned about.
I have a rad rover, The fat tires are very stable. On the road it is easy in PA S3, to keep around 17 to 20 miles an hour. I like that it handles pavement, sand, crushed shell, gravel, and . grates without a problem. I also like the hum-of the knobby tires, Let’s walkers joggers etc. know you’re headed their way. Curbs and speed bumps are not a problem. I can get about 30 miles on a full charge.

Very interesting thread. I seem to have a different view of things. I currently have a Stromer ST1 Platinum which has been serving me well for 5 years now. I just went to my local ebike shop here in El Segundo (Socal) for a tune-up, and while I was there I test rode the E-Lux Tahoe GT. I fell in love with the Tahoe GT. The amount of comfort on that bike is ridiculous. I test rode it for almost an hour, and it felt like I've been coasting around town on my couch.

Now the E-Lux Tahoe GT is a cruiser, so maybe that's the difference between all the other fat-tire feedback here? I'm considering this bike because even though it's heavy, it has incredible power, the brakes seem to be good (I'm certainly no expert tho), and it just seems to be incredibly comfortable and fun as a cruiser. It also seems like it can serve for pleasure rides as well as commuting.

I currently ride from Palos Verdes to Santa Monica, which is about 20 miles each way. This bike seems like it could make the trip a lot easier and comfortable. My only concerns are durability, as I can't find a ton of reviews anyplace, and I don't know much about the E-Lux brand. I knew my Stromer was a top brand, so I knew that bike was going to last and be quality. I'm worried that this bike may breakdown and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Very interesting thread. I seem to have a different view of things. I currently have a Stromer ST1 Platinum which has been serving me well for 5 years now. I just went to my local ebike shop here in El Segundo (Socal) for a tune-up, and while I was there I test rode the E-Lux Tahoe GT. I fell in love with the Tahoe GT. The amount of comfort on that bike is ridiculous. I test rode it for almost an hour, and it felt like I've been coasting around town on my couch.

Now the E-Lux Tahoe GT is a cruiser, so maybe that's the difference between all the other fat-tire feedback here? I'm considering this bike because even though it's heavy, it has incredible power, the brakes seem to be good (I'm certainly no expert tho), and it just seems to be incredibly comfortable and fun as a cruiser. It also seems like it can serve for pleasure rides as well as commuting.

I currently ride from Palos Verdes to Santa Monica, which is about 20 miles each way. This bike seems like it could make the trip a lot easier and comfortable. My only concerns are durability, as I can't find a ton of reviews anyplace, and I don't know much about the E-Lux brand. I knew my Stromer was a top brand, so I knew that bike was going to last and be quality. I'm worried that this bike may breakdown and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.
It'll take a lot of battery to push a fat bike for 40 miles.

As an owner of a premium ebike, you know of the quality, performance and reliability built into your Stromer.

Hub powered fat tired cruiser bikes should be okay for local riding. But to truly expand your horizons by going anywhere, a true purpose built, mid drive premium fat tired ebike is what you need. 2900 dollars for the cost of this bike that already has you questioning the long term ownership of; with another 1300 dollars gets you a Haibike FatSix with the ultra reliable and long lived Yamaha mid drive motor and battery. Not to mention the world class Rock Shox Bluto fat bike fork, Sram eagle derailleur and a good hydraulic brake system.

With my spare Yamaha 500wh battery and using the High power assist setting, I routinely do 23 miles on that setting on my near-daily local rides around home on my Haibike Full FatSix. Pulling up to home, I have roughly 50% battery power remaining in High. Yamaha routinely delivers that kind of mileage potential on my Full FatSix as it will deliver for their hard tail FatSix... Link: https://www.haibikeusa.com/xduro-fatsix-8-0-4594.html

I found the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims to be perfectly fine on asphalt roads (part of the charm on asphalt is the noise they make, a good attention getter to the inattentive trail walkers on the local paved trails. The JJ is a true fat bike tire at 4.0 inches wide. It is also great in deep sand and hard pack dirt.

As an owner of a premium ebike, you know of the quality, performance and reliability built into your Stromer.

Hub powered fat tired cruiser bikes should be okay for local riding. But to truly expand your horizons by going anywhere, a true purpose built, mid drive premium fat tired ebike is what you need. 2900 dollars for the cost of this bike that already has you questioning the long term ownership of; with another 1300 dollars gets you a Haibike FatSix with the ultra reliable and long lived Yamaha mid drive motor and battery. Not to mention the world class Rock Shox Bluto fat bike fork, Sram eagle derailleur and a good hydraulic brake system.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Question tho - is the Haibike FatSix going to provide the cruiser experience? From what I can see in pictures, it seems like apples to oranges. Again I love my Stromer! But the ride on the E-Lux was completely different. I'd say that a ride on the Stromer is more sporty, while a cruise on the E-Lux is comfort. Here in So Cal, we are blessed with some of the most awesome beach bike paths. I can just imagine being able to cruise along these in something as comfortable as the Tahoe GT. The Haibike seems like my Stromer only with wider tires.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Question tho - is the Haibike FatSix going to provide the cruiser experience? From what I can see in pictures, it seems like apples to oranges. Again I love my Stromer! But the ride on the E-Lux was completely different. I'd say that a ride on the Stromer is more sporty, while a cruise on the E-Lux is comfort. Here in So Cal, we are blessed with some of the most awesome beach bike paths. I can just imagine being able to cruise along these in something as comfortable as the Tahoe GT. The Haibike seems like my Stromer only with wider tires.

I have my Full FatSix set up to my personal liking, which happens to be sitting up right, ala crusiser style, vs say, a top tier fatbike featuring a short handlebar stack. Right out of the box, the FFS stack height was already higher then my Fatboy's, a fatty that features a more race inspired short steering height.

But I added a 60mm riser handlebar to go along with a very plush feeling Ergon Prime ST Core saddle. Because of the area I live in, most of my riding unfortunately is on asphalt. With what I put on the FFS, this bike is a do-anything bike, with the exception of bombing down some mountain face, which is not on my riding menu. Don't forget, alot of that plush feeling of stability and ride feel comes from the wide tire, and I believe that bike you are looking does not have 4 inch wide tires.

The Haibike comes in different sized frames while that Tahoe bike is a one-size fits all.

So the long winded reply whittles down to: Yes, it will provide a cruiser style feel and better. But consider a upgrade in saddles to whatever your preference and look at a riser handlebar.

Attachments

• 100_4762.JPG
    100_4762.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 426

go for it! i have a cruiser with the same motor/ electronics as the Tahoe! that Dapu Hub motor is probably more reliable than the Macs used by Stromer ! it is not going to leave you stranded and they are still powerful and fast! i have some other sportier bikes but my old cruiser will always be the one in my Avatar, the overall ride experience is just to fun, the only thing i wish it had is fat tires, that riding position with fat tires would be a blast! Do It!!!! variety is awesome!

I have my Full FatSix set up to my personal liking, which happens to be sitting up right, ala crusiser style, vs say, a top tier fatbike featuring a short handlebar stack. Right out of the box, the FFS stack height was already higher then my Fatboy's, a fatty that features a more race inspired short steering height.

But I added a 60mm riser handlebar to go along with a very plush feeling Ergon Prime ST Core saddle. Because of the area I live in, most of my riding unfortunately is on asphalt. With what I put on the FFS, this bike is a do-anything bike, with the exception of bombing down some mountain face, which is not on my riding menu. Don't forget, alot of that plush feeling of stability and ride feel comes from the wide tire, and I believe that bike you are looking does not have 4 inch wide tires.

The Haibike comes in different sized frames while that Tahoe bike is a one-size fits all.

So the long winded reply whittles down to: Yes, it will provide a cruiser style feel and better. But consider a upgrade in saddles to whatever your preference and look at a riser handlebar.
That's a beautiful bike. I also want to thank you for sharing your adjustments. I'm no expert, so this is great stuff for me to consider. I just started looking at Haibike as an option. The one thing that might be a deal-breaker is the power shutting off at 20mph. Now I know this is a mid hub, and from what I hear, one nice thing about these is that when you stop pedaling, there is no drag so you get much better coasting. Still, I don't know if I want to deal with constant power shutoff every-time I go above 20mph.

The other thing is the cruiser style. I don't know if it's a SoCal thing or what, but even tho your bike is upright rider position, it doesn't strike me as the same as a traditional cruiser. Here in SoCal we have a lot of beach paths, with lots of action. There are girls in bikinis, shoppers, kids, people with their dogs, people playing volleyball, older folks taking a stroll... It's really nice to be able to sit back at a slow speed and enjoy the surroundings. This is where my ride switches from a commute to a leisure ride. The Tahoe/traditional cruiser seems perfectly suited for this. Either way, I'm continuing my research and you have provided a lot of very smart points to think about. Just from looking at your bike I can tell you know your stuff.

By the way, may I ask what that bag is on the front? I love it!

go for it! i have a cruiser with the same motor/ electronics as the Tahoe! that Dapu Hub motor is probably more reliable than the Macs used by Stromer ! it is not going to leave you stranded and they are still powerful and fast! i have some other sportier bikes but my old cruiser will always be the one in my Avatar, the overall ride experience is just to fun, the only thing i wish it had is fat tires, that riding position with fat tires would be a blast! Do It!!!! variety is awesome!
Thanks for the report ElevenAD! I found a Yelp page for the E-Lux headquarters shop down here in SoCal, and so there are a decent number of reviews there, and I haven't seen anyone report motor failings, so that's a good sign. I'm working out a few other concerns. For example, I currently have the 1Up USA Single rack (https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/), and it's listed capacity is 50 lbs. I currently cheat that by around 5 lbs with my Stromer (no battery or luggage of course). If I were to load the Tahoe GT without the battery, the weight seems to be 66 lbs, so I think I will have to upgrade to the 1Up Heavy Duty. Either way, they seem to have wide spacers available in order to accommodate fat tires, so I think I'll be good there.

But I'm checking out Haibike as Mike suggested, and a few others. The E-Lux seems to be more geared toward what I'm looking for tho. Court mentioned that E-Lux is short for E-Luxury, and that this is what the company is going for. I think with the looks and feel of their bikes, it makes sense because that was my experience. They seem to be focusing on what many local people here like.

That's a beautiful bike. I also want to thank you for sharing your adjustments. I'm no expert, so this is great stuff for me to consider. I just started looking at Haibike as an option. The one thing that might be a deal-breaker is the power shutting off at 20mph. Now I know this is a mid hub, and from what I hear, one nice thing about these is that when you stop pedaling, there is no drag so you get much better coasting. Still, I don't know if I want to deal with constant power shutoff every-time I go above 20mph.

The other thing is the cruiser style. I don't know if it's a SoCal thing or what, but even tho your bike is upright rider position, it doesn't strike me as the same as a traditional cruiser. Here in SoCal we have a lot of beach paths, with lots of action. There are girls in bikinis, shoppers, kids, people with their dogs, people playing volleyball, older folks taking a stroll... It's really nice to be able to sit back at a slow speed and enjoy the surroundings. This is where my ride switches from a commute to a leisure ride. The Tahoe/traditional cruiser seems perfectly suited for this. Either way, I'm continuing my research and you have provided a lot of very smart points to think about. Just from looking at your bike I can tell you know your stuff.

By the way, may I ask what that bag is on the front? I love it!
Operator7: Apologies for not getting back sooner to your questions as I did not seem to get your reply in my email notifications.

Regards to the front bag (and the rear bag as well in that photo, those are Ortliebs. The rear is their office/commuter bag in the granite gray/black color combo. Unfortunately, these things sold out pretty quick a few years back and whatever stock was brought into the US was it. Best to look over ebay as well as the big US bicycle suppliers. I just checked at REI and they have a decent collection of Ortlieb bags. Mind you, they are not cheap. But they are considered the best bags on the market, known for their waterproof construction.

That front handlebar bag is an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Large, again in the discontinued granite gray and black. From what I've seen, that color combo might be available from retailers like Moosejaw or Ebay sellers. I have Ortliebs dedicated for the Full FatSix beyond what you see here; bought with the idea in mind of outfitting the bike as a full-on touring bike. I've also a Specialized Fatboy with Ortliebs, those bags in a cool hazel brown and black color that they unfortunately cancelled following the 2016 model year or thereabouts.

Regards to that motor cutout, I picked up a Pear Tune speed de-restrictor made specifically for my Yamaha PW drive in October. The bike now goes beyond 20 mph with no motor cutout. As for later Yamaha ebike drives, highly recommend the Pear Tune as it wires directly into the rear speed sensor wire harness. If interested in a Yamaha edrive, a conversation with Pear Tune is in order to ensure their tuner fits the later Yamaha's that may have that rear speed sensor pickup in the rear rotor. Here are a few pics of my Pear Tune install a few weeks back:

Attachments

• 100_4820.JPG
    100_4820.JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 393
  • 100_4821.JPG
    100_4821.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 382
  • 100_2505.JPG
    100_2505.JPG
    721.3 KB · Views: 377
Lt Columbo moment: Just one more thing! :)

Thanks for the kind words, Operator7!

About riding above 20 mph: Staying above that range involves being a rider who is in top condition; something that at this time, I am not due to a lack of riding miles in the saddle this past year. 16 mph and above, you start becoming a big wind block that your edrive has to overcome. The faster you go, the more power from the battery has to be drawn. It's no different if you are on a Stromer or a Haibike or the ELux.

With the Pear Tune installed and energized, the transition above 19 and beyond is factory smooth. But like your own kind of riding, my speed averages out to about 11 mph. I'm more focused on mileage per charge, properly using the gear ratios to use the least amount of power while in the highest motor power setting on the Yamaha edrive system. So I end up averaging out to 40 miles plus on a fully charged 500wh battery. Not too bad, considering the fat tires.

Lt Columbo moment: Just one more thing! :)

Thanks for the kind words, Operator7!

About riding above 20 mph: Staying above that range involves being a rider who is in top condition; something that at this time, I am not due to a lack of riding miles in the saddle this past year. 16 mph and above, you start becoming a big wind block that your edrive has to overcome. The faster you go, the more power from the battery has to be drawn. It's no different if you are on a Stromer or a Haibike or the ELux.

With the Pear Tune installed and energized, the transition above 19 and beyond is factory smooth. But like your own kind of riding, my speed averages out to about 11 mph. I'm more focused on mileage per charge, properly using the gear ratios to use the least amount of power while in the highest motor power setting on the Yamaha edrive system. So I end up averaging out to 40 miles plus on a fully charged 500wh battery. Not too bad, considering the fat tires.
Thanks so much!!! Well that definitely makes the Haibike a valid option, with the restriction removed. And that's really helpful to get an estimate of range like this. For my commute, there are different sections. There are some where I'm pretty much going as fast as I want to, but then there are the stretches where it's good to slow down and enjoy the atmosphere. I know what you mean about speed, because sometimes when I get past 22 mph or so, I really have to be focused. It seems as tho a slight lapse in attention could risk a crash. I have been recovering from past panic attacks and dizzy spells, and that is getting better and better with therapy and some other measures, but still, a moment of dizziness and a crash at over 20 mph would not be pleasant! :p But really, I just want the option for these speeds when I am on longer stretches of empty path and want to make good time.

The "cold" season has just started here in So Cal, so fortunately I don't have to rush to finish my research. Next on the list is the bike rack, and I'm wondering if I install the 1Up wider arms for fat tires will still work for my regular size tires on my Stromer. I'm then wondering if I should sell my Stromer on Craigslist, or keep both. I don't have a lot of home storage, so it might be prudent to sell it. I heard that Stromers have really kept their value, so I might be able to save a lot of money going that route.

Thanks again so much for all the helpful info and feedback! No matter what I decide, this is all really educational and helpful!!

Just wanted to chime in, the one thing I've been finding a bit more annoying lately is the noise that fat tires make. I have Jumbo Jims 4" just about everywhere and on pavement they are just too noisy. I plan to switch to some old BFLs I've got lying around. Also thinking maybe to try some of pavement-only tires (e.g., Vee's 26×3.5) just to see whether this is enough for city riding. Ideally what I'd like is semi-slick tires like I have on my non-fat bikes, but it seems this is just not a fit for the fat tire format.

Just wanted to chime in, the one thing I've been finding a bit more annoying lately is the noise that fat tires make. I have Jumbo Jims 4" just about everywhere and on pavement they are just too noisy. I plan to switch to some old BFLs I've got lying around. Also thinking maybe to try some of pavement-only tires (e.g., Vee's 26×3.5) just to see whether this is enough for city riding. Ideally what I'd like is semi-slick tires like I have on my non-fat bikes, but it seems this is just not a fit for the fat tire format.
I absolutely hated the Kenda knobbies on the street. 26x3.5 Vees solved that .

I had to try the 4" to see if they were something I could use with my 80%+ pavement riding style. I consider that idea a mistake. I can't stand the noise of the knobby style tires on pavement at all (silence is golden here). When I switched to 4" Origin 8's with pavement tread, I experienced the self steering issue I had read about (spooky might be an understatement). Sure you can eliminate/control it with air pressure, but at the pressure necessary to control that, you've pretty much lost the reason you went 4" - the ride! Bottom line, for my purposes, the fattys were a mistake. Converting to 27.5+ which is a good rolling resistance/ride compromise - for me anyway.

Bike currently has 26x3" Kenda Flame tires, which aren't too bad. I'd just like something with a little less rolling resistance. FWIW

It's like having a Hummer in the burbs 30 years ago. Big attention getting vehicle, but a little car was more maneuverable.
People in the neighborhood say very little when I ride an ebike, but when I last rode the 26" fat tire bike, someone at the corner remarked "oooh, what a beautiful bike". Last week. I took my 20" fat tire bike to Walgreens, and a guy in the parking lot doused me with compliments.

But on the bike path, I get called a cheater on a fat tire bike. Haha.

Back