whats a good carbon handlebar?

John Dombrowski

just for street riding and nothing with a rise. Just similar to my stock bar on my Specialized Turbo S.
Just want a little more vibration dampening on the front end.
Planning on cutting a bit off each end too to make it a little narrower than the stock 680mm.

For all the difference that it is going to make, I can't imagine that it is worth doing. Why not just switch to a softer compound grip.

For all the difference that it is going to make, I can't imagine that it is worth doing. Why not just switch to a softer compound grip.

I have good soft leather grips already. So you don't think it would be worth it? Can you explain a little more why not?

I just can't imagine that there would be very much benefit to it.

The cons of having to keep a crucial eye on correct torque settings for brackets etc, possible creaking and the risk that fluid contamination could adversely affect the carbon fibre, would put me off.

If you already have soft grips, perhaps try a pair of gel gloves. I know nothing about these, but there must be some very good ones out there for touring use. :)

I just can't imagine that there would be very much benefit to it.

The cons of having to keep a crucial eye on correct torque settings for brackets etc, possible creaking and the risk that fluid contamination could adversely affect the carbon fibre, would put me off.

If you already have soft grips, perhaps try a pair of gel gloves. I know nothing about these, but there must be some very good ones out there for touring use. :)

Already use gloves too. Not buying the fluid contamination or the cracking. CF is stringer than you think. I imagine bikers have been using these for years already. Thanks for the comments. I will just have to try some different kinds. Maybe my LBS can steer me in the right direction.

John, our existing handlebars are 9-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 31.8mm, width of 680mm - 685mm. Here is a potential: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Or here: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I said creaking, not cracking.

As for not buying into fluid contamination of carbon fibre, that is your choice as a well.

Last edited:
John, our existing handlebars are 9-degree backsweep, 4-degree upsweep, 31.8mm, width of 680mm - 685mm. Here is a potential: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Or here: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Doug,
I also emailed John and Ken, the Specialized contacts you gave me, to see if they could recommend a shock fork for the base and S model Turbo's and also asked about a carbon handlebar too. I will let you know what they say.

Technically you could run the same fork on the Turbo X, the Rockshox Paragon. You could also opt for a Stafast suspension stem.

Two things:

1. The Turbo and Turbo S use a straight head tube with 1 1/8" bearings at top and bottom.
2. The Turbo X frame has a head tube that is angled out slightly more and higher relative to top tube compared with the Turbo and Turbo S. This provides the geometry required for the longer suspension fork and tire clearance.

Two things:

1. The Turbo and Turbo S use a straight head tube with 1 1/8" bearings at top and bottom.
2. The Turbo X frame has a head tube that is angled out slightly more and higher relative to top tube compared with the Turbo and Turbo S. This provides the geometry required for the longer suspension fork and tire clearance.

So this means the shock fork on the X won't work on our base and S models then?

So this means the shock fork on the X won't work on our base and S models then?

Didn't say it wouldn't work, but that the geometry of our frames is not quite right. I think that the bike would sit higher off the ground in front with a suspension fork and that there may be issues (particularly with 68mm travel) with hitting the frame downtube. BGut I don't know, maybe someone has done the swap.

John,

I just cut down my 680 mm stock bar to around 630 mm by taking 25 mm (~1") off each end. With my ERGO GP5 bar ends, it makes it just right.

Back