What Would You Have Done?

low-level criminal activity
Such as bike theft! A guy here had his bike stolen from in front of the library. He quickly found it with the front wheel off and the tube removed. If he had not found it it would have attracted pick-a-parts vultures. It was stolen for a tube.

Like many cities of comparable size/populace, we do have a drug problem as opioids continue to take their toll on our fair city as well as many other outlying communities.
Actually the whole Drug Problem is well-nigh universal and has reached Zombie Apocalypse levels. It doesn't seem to matter if you are rural or urban, they are present. And unfortunately, I have yet to see any measures taken by anyone that were any more than an effort to drain the ocean with a teacup.

The problem here also ties into the aforementioned problems with both homelessness and mental health issues in a lot of ways. There also seems to be a large population of what I'd call "high functioning junkies" who can hold a job and almost appear like a normal person.

Speaking of drawknives, back in the dark ages around here in order to sell pulpwood you had to take the bark off either with a drawknife or a tool you made from some scrap iron. A good drawknife is invaluable for timber frame construction. A good timber-frame or even a post frame is one the best, strongest ways to build with timber and it doesnt use one heck of a lot of wood either,I build post frames all the time with treated posts or locust posts.

I have a nice Greenlee draw knife, and several spokes shaves. I use them from time to time to
rough out square stock to round when I need. Correct tool for the job.
IMG_20220907_104154054.jpg

Last edited:
What is cool is there is a whole chapter on 'How to Dress for Succession.'
One of his medals is for attending one of his mom's parties. Attend party, get medal. Good boy award.
It is good he got his first job, at 72!
1662858750483.jpeg

1662858813189.jpeg

Last edited:
What is cool is there is a whole chapter on 'How to Dress for Succession.'
One of his medals is for attending one of his mom's parties. Attend party, get medal. Good boy award.
It is good he got his first job, at 72!
View attachment 134869
View attachment 134870
Wheres the "eco mania" medal?( pleas before I am strung up understand I know it is necessary to take care of the only planet in this solar system that will support Human life.)

When I lived in Chelan, WA, I had a cousin from the wet side (Western WA) who like to hunt on the dry side (Eastern WA). He always carried a six shooter in a holster. I asked him why. He said it was for protection from rattlesnakes.

I lived for several decades in Chelan, and hiked trails and forest service roads and cross country often (I was a lot younger then). A family friend owned a cabin on the lake about 15 miles up lake from the town. He liked to climb the hill behind the cabin, where he occasionally found a den of rattlers still in winter hibernation mode (they like to entwine themselves into a big communal ball). In all outdoor my forays, I can remember seeing one rattlesnake on a road. I greeted him politely, wished him a pleasant afternoon, stepped around him and went on my way. In all the time I lived there, I never heard of anyone getting snakebit.

Had my cousin come across one, I'm pretty sure he would have shot himself in the foot.

Rather futile to carry an unloaded gun . Besides if it's your day to die . Regardless of what you do or how often you worry . Death comes on your appointed day and time . And worrying changes the outcome of nothing . Other then possibly your general health while you wait to die .
Gun Lovers are usually collectors . The vast Majority who carry daily whether concealed or open . Are well trained and usually at least average in marksmanship. And nobody in their right mind shoots at something in the bushes . And if it's a bear even more so . All you'd do is piss it off .
People who carry guns aren't going to shoot you to win an argument . To even suggest that sounds like you are influenced by leftest ideology . People who carry guns aren't hot headed as a rule . We are the level headed calm one in an argument . After all we have a gun ;)
Your thinking appears to be based on misinformation that you constantly hear from the Media . Who are pushing a political agenda/ When I was in High School . Almost every guy had a Gun under his seat at school. If he had a pickup he had a rifle or Shotgun in the window . Far more people had guns 50 years ago then today . Gun-Owners aren't the dangerous one . Nor are they carrying hoping to shoot into bushes
In all the recent mass shootings I've seen in the news lately, every shooter "owned" his gun.

Native snakes are on my 'do not kill" list( our chickens like small snakes, mice, frogs, etc= no wonder they figure T-Rex tasted like Chicken, one bellow from a T-Rex was sure to cure constipation( if there were any Humans around) I am glad there are not T-rex sized chickens at large. Sorry about the 'tangent".

Native snakes are on my 'do not kill" list( our chickens like small snakes, mice, frogs, etc= no wonder they figure T-Rex tasted like Chicken, one bellow from a T-Rex was sure to cure constipation( if there were any Humans around) I am glad there are not T-rex sized chickens at large. Sorry about the 'tangent".
T-rex sized chickens?
Colonel Sanders would need bigger buckets!

Doh... repeat post... :D

Native snakes are on my 'do not kill" list
Mine too.

I suppose snake threats depend on where you ride and the type of snake you encounter. I frequently come across them on the trails I ride here in the northeast. All, including the rattlers, are not aggressive unless provoked. I avoid grassy areas where I can't see where I'm stepping, I don't stick my hand into holes or rock crevices and really don't see snakes as a serious threat. I used to carry a snake bite kit but stopped doing so since it seemed a useless item to carry.

Last edited:
Mine too.

I suppose snake threats depend on where you ride and the type of snake you encounter. I frequently come across them on the trails I ride here in the northeast. All, including the rattlers, are not aggressive unless provoked. I avoid grassy areas where I can't see where I'm stepping, I don't stick my hand into holes or rock crevices and really don't see snakes as a serious threat. I used to carry a snake bite kit but stopped doing so since it seemed a useless item to carry.
Amen.

For another perspective, when we moved to our property 30+ years ago it was infested with rattlesnakes and copperheads. I have been bitten as have multiple dogs and one horse. No fatalities but a lot of pain and medcal bills. I like snakes and will leave them in peace elsewhere, but not around the house where I and my critters are in real danger from them. I blast their little brains out. I don't even carry a weapon off my property and I'm actually quite happy to see any snakes, even pit vipers, away from the house.

TT

One guy around here will actually catch copperheads and relocate them, like rattlers they are endangered. Copperhead bites usually are not that bad on dogs, I laid my arm an a 3 ft long copperhead onetime,He easily could have bitten, was bitten once by something that didn't give me the "full dose" we are actually trespassers on the animal's range. I have live trapped and relocated many different animals,, not that much trouble. I never sense any real danger around my house and will not kill them, over my 20 plus years at this location never had to blow any little brains out. I had my fill of Dogs a long time ago, I do love them, will never own another. Have never seen the need for a Horse, OTH I have had the pleasure of being around and riding Horses, a good Horse is surely a treasure, as are good Dogs, the only problem I have with Dogs is that I see them as sentient beings and I grieve a long time when one of my canine friends die. I suppose I shouldn't the energy of the spirit just goes into something else.

One guy around here will actually catch copperheads and relocate them, like rattlers they are endangered. Copperhead bites usually are not that bad on dogs, I laid my arm an a 3 ft long copperhead onetime,He easily could have bitten, was bitten once by something that didn't give me the "full dose" we are actually trespassers on the animal's range. I have live trapped and relocated many different animals,, not that much trouble. I never sense any real danger around my house and will not kill them, over my 20 plus years at this location never had to blow any little brains out. I had my fill of Dogs a long time ago, I do love them, will never own another. Have never seen the need for a Horse, OTH I have had the pleasure of being around and riding Horses, a good Horse is surely a treasure, as are good Dogs, the only problem I have with Dogs is that I see them as sentient beings and I grieve a long time when one of my canine friends die. I suppose I shouldn't the energy of the spirit just goes into something else.
I get all that. I do. And I'm sensitive to that point of view, up to the point I'm putting my pets at risk. And I'm not going to take the time to catch and release pit vipers. The risks just aren't worth it, to me anyway, As for us being in their space, I really get that too. Me and my pets are allowed to have some space too though. That doesn't mean I'd kill all the elephants in Africa if that's were I lived. Pit vipers are another thing though, but I know that can be argued.

To give you an idea about what I meant by our property being infested, I didn't keep count, but the first couple of years we were here I probably killed 3 dozen copperheads and rattlesnakes within about 100 yards of the house, and more since, without ever going looking for them. I'm not proud of that, but I can't live in that kind of environment. My dogs and horse suffered just about more than I could stand from snake bites. It isn't a tough choice for me between my dogs and snakes. That's aside from the 3 days I spent in the hospital 30 years ago. I still have nerve damage from that.

I know it's not popular nowadays but I'm comfortable with my position on killing poisonous snakes close the house. I leave the other ones alone.

TT

Last edited:
Back