What Width Tire is Considered Fat?

Scarecrow

I see some "Fat" Bikes (even with the word "Fat" in its name) that have 2.8" Wide Tires.
I always thought 4" was the starting point.

What do you consider to be the tipping point?

IMHO a “fat tire” is 3” +

To me they start looking that way at 3”. My eBike has 2.25” tires, which to me is Hybrid bike style. But I have no idea what the official figure is.

I wonder if there's an environment "limit"? For example, 3" will get you down any trail, but you need 4" for the beach or snow.

Mother's 1946 Firestone 26" bike had 2.25" tires. So those are old fashioned and not "fat". I'd say 2.8" and above is fat, it won't fit my MTB forks or fenders.

4" is what I consider a Fat tire. Thus calling a bike a Fat Bike

I wonder if there's an environment "limit"? For example, 3" will get you down any trail, but you need 4" for the beach or snow.

In the analog bike world up to 3.2 is considered to be + sized although most have now settled on 2.8, the designation of the first + sized tire, the WTB Trail Blazer which everyone said was too skinny to be fat so thus the +. Beyond that they are in the fat category which ranges from 3.8 up to I think 5"es now.

I do disagree about needing a 4" tire to ride the beach, or snow even, as I have done both, although way more sand, with 40-45c (1 3/4") tires at 35psi. My bike has a front hub motor enabling AWD which is what makes it work. If I stop either pedaling or using assist while riding deeper sand I start bogging down. A little squirrely sometimes but way too much fun to not do and miles of beach to explore as well as the trails in the dunes and coastal pines.

My MTB has 2.8/2.3 tires @ 15psi and the beach is a breeze on it and it is a much better trail bike. Higher volume tires allow you to use lower psi which enhances traction. I find that even on my road bikes I use 35psi for all around use but I give some credit to the fact that I went to a wider rim, i25, as it also helped to increase the volume and seem to do a better job of protecting the tire against sidewall damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 387
Last edited:
My Schwalbe "Fat Frank" tires are 2.35's but I don't consider them to be in the fat tire class. They do look bigger though since they are mounted on black mag wheels. I've been asked twice so far if I like riding a fat tire bike. I suppose the term "fat" is relative to what you are used to seeing on a bike.

P1060855a.jpg

Back