What to do?

yyf926

Hi All,

My bike is here. A month early but here.

So too is Covid-19.

My bike shop gives me 30 days to try it out and keep it or return it.

My plan was to ride my bike to work, work a day, then ride home. Work is now remote. We will reopen one day. May? June? Later?

There simply is no way now to test the viability of this bike under real world conditions. No test of the work day ride in, work and ride home. No test of bike security in a normally bustling outdoor mall either.

Since the shop told me my bike would not be here until May we’re cool for now.

Lockdown may continue for months. What’s the smart path ahead? The bike is paid for; but should I keep it, return it, arrange an extended return?

I appreciate your thoughts.

My thought is talk to the bike shop. They surely don't want a return, they know these are extraordinary times. What ever they promise, get it in writing on your original invoice.

By all means, talk to the dealer and see what they suggest.

I realize it's likely still cold in Wisconsin this time of year but with the proper gear, riding on a local street or park should be possible. It may not be "real world" but perhaps you could simulate your commute in a way that would give you a basic idea of how the bike performs. Working from home should give you some flex time to get a ride in during the day. Most virus related lockdown orders allow for exercising outdoors but it would be a good idea to check first.

On the bright side, you picked a great bike. Riese & Muller make a quality product with an excellent customer satisfaction rate. I assume you took a test ride or at least sat on one before buying. Unless there is a problem with the personal feel of the bike, it's hard to believe you would want to return it. Any mechanical issues would be covered under the manufacturers warranty which ranges from 2 to 5 years depending on the parts involved.

Congratulations on your new Riese and Mueller. Just curious on the model and build time. From purchase to delivery. Is the "try it and return it" for a dealer credit or full refund? Thank you

Hi All,

My bike is here. A month early but here.

So too is Covid-19.

My bike shop gives me 30 days to try it out and keep it or return it.

My plan was to ride my bike to work, work a day, then ride home. Work is now remote. We will reopen one day. May? June? Later?

There simply is no way now to test the viability of this bike under real world conditions. No test of the work day ride in, work and ride home. No test of bike security in a normally bustling outdoor mall either.

Since the shop told me my bike would not be here until May we’re cool for now.

Lockdown may continue for months. What’s the smart path ahead? The bike is paid for; but should I keep it, return it, arrange an extended return?

I appreciate your thoughts.

I would do two things. Where I live, we are permitted to ride bikes despite the shutdown. Try out your commute anyway. Do you take primarily bike paths in Madison or roads? The paths may be more crowded than usual, the roads less so. If you need to charge, can you get in the building?

i don’t think your security test would have told you much. I own the same bike. I worry anew each and every time it’s parked outside. I usually take off the 2nd battery and use two locks, but if they want it, they want it. In short, that it wasn’t pinched during first 30 days of ownership is neither here nor there from my POV.

i think you will be pleased based on your riding. I do like the bike. However, here is what I wish I’d known. In the US, there is only one Rohloff (allegedly a second one soon) service partner. And within Rohloff, there is only one fellow who deals with US issues. If there is any sort of problem with your hub or E14, it will take a long time to get it addressed. Too long. What I would discuss with the dealer is what happens to you in event of a Rohloff-related problem? Do you get a loaner bike? Of what quality? Will your warranty period be extended if you are without the bike for (insert what you think is fair)? Get it in writing.

I would do two things. Where I live, we are permitted to ride bikes despite the shutdown. Try out your commute anyway. Do you take primarily bike paths in Madison or roads? The paths may be more crowded than usual, the roads less so. If you need to charge, can you get in the building?

i don’t think your security test would have told you much. I own the same bike. I worry anew each and every time it’s parked outside. I usually take off the 2nd battery and use two locks, but if they want it, they want it. In short, that it wasn’t pinched during first 30 days of ownership is neither here nor there from my POV.

i think you will be pleased based on your riding. I do like the bike. However, here is what I wish I’d known. In the US, there is only one Rohloff (allegedly a second one soon) service partner. And within Rohloff, there is only one fellow who deals with US issues. If there is any sort of problem with your hub or E14, it will take a long time to get it addressed. Too long. What I would discuss with the dealer is what happens to you in event of a Rohloff-related problem? Do you get a loaner bike? Of what quality? Will your warranty period be extended if you are without the bike for (insert what you think is fair)? Get it in writing.

Solid advise here.

Back