What new light weight e-bikes are on the horizon?

SKent

Are there any more manufacturers coming out with lightweight e-bikes? Is Bianchi going to expand their line from one bike to several others? I've heard rumors that Specialized is coming out with one, maybe by the end of the year, but it is just a rumor. Anyone else see anything at demo events, shows or marketing to bike shops? Still thinking of getting an Orbea, but want to see what else will be out there.

Are there any more manufacturers coming out with lightweight e-bikes? Is Bianchi going to expand their line from one bike to several others? I've heard rumors that Specialized is coming out with one, maybe by the end of the year, but it is just a rumor. Anyone else see anything at demo events, shows or marketing to bike shops? Still thinking of getting an Orbea, but want to see what else will be out there.

Check out ( Fully Charged ) vlog - on You Tube , ebike shop in London had a lightweight model on display . Really nice shop , coffee ,demos available. Lots of models.

Polini e-roadbike with 1000whr battery

https://www.ebikecult.it/tecnica/il-motore-elettrico-polini-e-p3-e-anche-dual-battery-da-1000wh/?

1555520440640.png

I don’t see the logic of Eu and Au , or other countries where the limiter is set at 25kmh.
Anybody - young or not so young -can achieve that speed , on hills only it’s helpfull, but a long ride rarely has lots of climbing.
And whoever does long rides with long climbs is already in shape.

That Polini won’t be a light bike but being range king is another achievement I feel will be attractive to the road bike segment as well.

The E-P3 motor looks to be set for power/speed also, another market segment benefit over the low power/low wh bikes.

I would have put the tt battery under instead but having the battery weight distributed between there and the dt makes good sense handling wise.

My range extender battery rides in a tt bag and although I was a bit nervous with it there the bike handles just as well as it does without it.

Anyone know an estimated range?

Not knowing what type of ebike you have currently you can expect to use fairly close to your current amount of wh/mi based on your average terrain and SOG. Less of course if your current bike is significantly higher in weight and tire dimensions due to lighter bikes with narrower higher psi tires being more efficient overall.

iGO of Canada showed a carbon road bike powered by a Bafang m800 mid-drive at the 2018 Interbike show back in September. It is supposed to be under 29 lbs and retail for a mere $4299. Doesn't seem possible to me, especially the price. Anyway, I keep checking their site and social media pages for an update, but I have not seen anything.

is there bike light enough so that a small motor is sufficient for a strong cyclist to maintain consistent 30 mph?

is there bike light enough so that a small motor is sufficient for a strong cyclist to maintain consistent 30 mph?

Weight has very little bearing on speed; it mostly has an effect on acceleration. Overcoming aerodynamic drag is far more important. This is why time trail bikes have aero frames, wheels, and handlebars. A TT bike weighs more but goes faster. That aside, no one is making road e-bikes that can reach 30 mph with assistance; they are all restricted, usually to a mere 15 mph. But given that a strong cyclist can maintain 25 mph+ without a motor (when I was young, I time-trailed at a consistent 28 mph), a small motor could certainly help a rider go faster.

The ones that offer Pas to 28mph can be riden to 31-32mph with medium effort , as long as you keep a high cadence and of course have it in the big ring (50/52/53 ..) with maybe 15/14/13/12 cog in the back.
I know this for a fact b/c i own the Nitro city(60lb Ebike) and in level 4 or 5 with high cadence and as long as the battery is above 55% , is possible to keep it at 29-30mph. Often i ride with the roadies in the park like that. But i can only do 10-12miles like that b/c it drains the battery FAST.
ANd gotta have a reasonable weight- i’m 175lb. Def for . someone at 225lb and higher , the battery at that intensity would drain lightspeed fast...
With a Trek domane ebike or the Emery would be a piece of cake to keep 30-32mph. They are lightweight and high power -Bosch performance Cx .
Most of the e road bikes have this cheap chinese Junk-the fazua motor and bat. That is not good enough. The Pinarello Nytro is a complete scam for 8grand.
Either the Trek Domane e+ or Specialized turbo (there is a e road bike not the Vado !). 28-35lb weight !
B/c you always have the motor doing the work to 28mph, big boost, then you only bring the bike from that 28-29mph to 31-32mph using a high cadence(85-95rpm) is a nice effort but much much easier then only you bringing the bike to that speed.
And like “Novabike” mentioned , the aeroer ( new term here...) you are , the easier it is to go fast.
Narrow tires, aero frame, and clothes(you don’t need the lycra anylonger ?) . I rode in my casual office slacks and a thin jacket last time and regular snickers...29-30mph) .
Also considering one of this e road bikes , but right now only the Domane E makes sense( 5k) . Emery is 7.5k , that is TOO much.
I could also put a bafang + 1kw pack bat. on my 15lb crabon road bike And fly uphills. It just won’t look anywhere near as sexy as this new already build toys...

Desiknio now has a drop-bar gravel bike? I don't see it on their website but I see the option at Fully Charged:

1555767854389.png

Looks like Desiknio is coming along. I notice their website has a configurator now. I expected they might fade away like alot of other companies that offered a promising design. But based on this very recent video it sounds like they are alive and well:

Back