What is your security set-up?

I now have my motion detecting alarm wedged in under my seat. It works very well. Jiggle the bike the slightest and ears are pierced for forty paces around. I set it on if I leave it in the house when I go out, as I did yesterday. I figure, at least a would be burglar will get an earache for his/her efforts.

But I put the fob in my jacket pocket which had a hole in it, and when I got home, no fob! What to do?? I searched the truck, hoping it fell out in the cab. Nope. Then I searched over where we had loaded some stuff before we drove off to Seattle. Nope. Bummer. Probably fell out in Seattle. Nothing for it but to don industrial ear protection and dismantle the seat to remove the alarm and batteries. Sigh.

While walking back to the house, a shiny object winked at me in the footpath. The fob!! Yay! Taught me a lesson: check pockets for holes!

None, I just don't let it out of my site, I have never locked up a bike. In the town I live in every thief walks around with a grinder capable of cutting nearly any chain/cable/lock in seconds. If someone wants your bike they'll take it.

I like your comment about insurance. I'm going to call my adj

Not safe, locked or not? I guess I'm kinda like you....SoCal burbs. I've met people who had their thin cable locks cut through when they left a bike somewhere dicey, overnight and have seen bikes with a tire or seat swiped when only the frame was locked. But I have never met a person who had a u-lock or something comparably tough broken in broad daylight. I always thought that was the stuff of urban legend, or at least urban environment, like NY or a college campus where there were tons of valuable bikes and a crook's trade could be ripping off bikes, due to the super-target-rich environment.

Can anyone give a personal experience that proves me wrong?

Responding to an old post. Yes. Bike locked in our condo building. Had Masters U-Lock (I think it was a dimple key, not a round key that you can pic with a bic pen). The bike was stolen. They left the U-Lock behind. Bike was a Bianchi 529. I don't know what it's worth. I think we are entering a period where most locks will be completely useless .... I'll buy a forever lock, when they get production up again.

Responding to an old post. Yes. Bike locked in our condo building. Had Masters U-Lock (I think it was a dimple key, not a round key that you can pic with a bic pen). The bike was stolen. They left the U-Lock behind. Bike was a Bianchi 529. I don't know what it's worth. I think we are entering a period where most locks will be completely useless .... I'll buy a forever lock, when they get production up again.
sorry ...was the lock cut or picked?

sorry ...was the lock cut or picked?

Picked. It was a MasterLock (u lock). They left the lock. It was inside an apartment building. Really crazy. Makes me nervous about buying a nice e-bike.

Attachments

• 58705292370__184D2D1A-7338-476D-9789-9C687C99A710.jpeg
    58705292370__184D2D1A-7338-476D-9789-9C687C99A710.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 216
The best bike lock as far as I know, is Kitaco TDZ-12
It's on sale here: https://japan.webike.net/products/23236823.html
Official Website: http://www.kitaco.co.jp/goods_detail_en.html#sid=P880-0818120

Kitaco TDZ-12 specs:
Length: 2350mm (7.7 feet)
Width: 32mm (1.26 inch)
Weight: 22.6 kg (49.82 lbs)

Impossible to cut it with bolt cutter
In fact, you can't cut it with 70 metric ton (approx 158,000 lbs) industrial hydraulic cutter
Angle Grinder resistant
1 minute of angle grinding will scratch approx. 1mm in depth, in theory it will take approx. 32 minutes to completely cut the lock

image1_5af519c6ab359.jpg
Timpo - WOW! That Kitaco TDZ-12 is one heck of a lock. Costs more at the current exchange rate of $1,033.59 USD than a cheap bike. Reading this thread is just depressing - the lengths some folks have to go to to hold onto their bikes. I'm just careful and currently use a U-Lock augmented by a cable, and now adding a mini disk rotor pin-lock w/alarm... but in the end, it's really hard to defeat determined thieves.

I ended up getting the Masterlock cuffs as my lock, because I thought it would be more versatile than a u-lock and because it is rather difficult to pick. I'm not sure that a u-lock wouldn't be easier to lock up to railings and such, but it also has a guarantee wherein Masterlock will reimburse you (up to $3k) the cost of your bike if it is stolen (conditions apply). I figure it will cover the $1K deductible of my homeowner's insurance and my homeowner's insurance will cover the rest. Hopefully I'll never have to make a claim, because I really love my bike.

However, the motion detector alarm that I put under the seat gives me the most peace of mind. Only $15 on Amazon, it works well, and if anyone jiggles the bike in any way to mess with the lock or any part of the bike, it makes a hellacious noise. Quite effective!

@ChezCheese:) Well I get the name after seeing them. Would still need a cable/chain augment to secure wheels, seat, etc. though ...I'd think... Wouldn't a high-powered cordless grinder make short work of the links?

After using many different locks over the years, I have found it is best to use 2 different types along with a motion alarm.

Remember that you want to make your bike less vulnerable to theft and the criminals hate to be startled by a loud siren.

After using many different locks over the years, I have found it is best to use 2 different types along with a motion alarm.

Remember that you want to make your bike less vulnerable to theft and the criminals hate to be startled by a loud siren.

That's exactly where we went. Nothing's bullet-proof.

A grinder can defeat any lock, cable, chain or U. However, the alarm won't stop and can't be gotten at without removing the seat from the post.

But let's not live in constant fear of losing our ebikes. They are just things, no matter how much we enjoy them, use them, need them for transport, no matter how big an investment they are to us. Find insurance to cover the bulk of their cost to minimize the financial damage.

Prevent the casual opportunist thieves (who are all probably methheads and not known for clarity of thought and purpose, except for getting their next fix.) Make the more professional thief have to work for it and make it obvious that someone is committing a crime. And pierce their ears with an alarm they can't shut off.

I've only locked a bike up a couple times and then with a cheap cable lock. The town I live in is really really bad for theft...of anything. I elect to just not leave my bike anywhere unattended, it shouldn't be that way but that's the way it is now in most places in the world. I live in a beautiful place surrounded by three lakes and an awesome rail trail but unfortunately it's a haven for all sorts of crime. I have eBikes for visiting family,friends, and my enjoyment which I store in a storage rental lockup which so far has remained safe but it's only a matter of time, I could never afford to replace them but at least I'll be able to sit on a park bench and watch the homeless enjoying them so it won't be a total loss.

I've only locked a bike up a couple times and then with a cheap cable lock. The town I live in is really really bad for theft...of anything. I elect to just not leave my bike anywhere unattended, it shouldn't be that way but that's the way it is now in most places in the world. I live in a beautiful place surrounded by three lakes and an awesome rail trail but unfortunately it's a haven for all sorts of crime. I have eBikes for visiting family,friends, and my enjoyment which I store in a storage rental lockup which so far has remained safe but it's only a matter of time, I could never afford to replace them but at least I'll be able to sit on a park bench and watch the homeless enjoying them so it won't be a total loss.

Enjoy the view and try out this alarm along with your lock...
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734QN8KR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1565925198157.png

Back