What is Best way to find MTN bikes with 68 or 73mm BB?

Mike leroy

What is the trick to find new mtn bikes with 68 or 73mm BB?

Want to install a 48V, 750W bbs02.

I do not own any bike.

If you are shopping online, the BB size usually shown on the specifications section. For example:
24mm BSA for 2 pc. design, 73mm

If you are shopping locally, just go ahead and measure it to confirm.
Bottom_Bracket_Measurement_medium.jpg

The majority of mountain bikes sold today have either 68 or 73. The higher end bikes, especially carbon fiber, may have press-in BBs with odd widths. Those won't work. Look for anything with an external cup BB and it should work just fine.

Be advised that the BBS02 works out of the box for 68mm. 73mm will require some spacers and longer bolts that you can get at just about hardware store.

Fat bikes are almost always 100 mm or greater BB, so avoid those.

If you are shopping online, the BB size usually shown on the specifications section. For example:
24mm BSA for 2 pc. design, 73mm

If you are shopping locally, just go ahead and measure it to confirm.
Bottom_Bracket_Measurement_medium.jpg

The majority of mountain bikes sold today have either 68 or 73. The higher end bikes, especially carbon fiber, may have press-in BBs with odd widths. Those won't work. Look for anything with an external cup BB and it should work just fine.

Be advised that the BBS02 works out of the box for 68mm. 73mm will require some spacers and longer bolts that you can get at just about hardware store.

Fat bikes are almost always 100 mm or greater BB, so avoid those.

Thank you. Now for the next newbie question.

Can I search a database by BB size? Does it make sense to constrain my searches by BB? If so, how do I get a list of manufacturers and models?

Or, is this approach backwards? Should I first find the mountain bikes and eliminate ones lacking 68mm?

Thank you. Now for the next newbie question.

Can I search a database by BB size? Does it make sense to constrain my searches by BB? If so, how do I get a list of manufacturers and models?

Or, is this approach backwards? Should I first find the mountain bikes and eliminate ones lacking 68mm?
Unfortunately, I doubt a searchable database exists. You'll have to go the manufacturers websites and search through their models and look at the specs for the ones you are interested in.

I would try to focus on what mountain bike you want to get (rigid, full suspension, hardtail, etc) then search for mountain bikes in your price range. If you have a local bike shop, ride a bunch of them. Narrow it down to the bike that fits you best. I'd bet that 90-95% of all the mountain bikes you look at would work.

I looked at 4 mid to high end bikes and all of them were larger than 73mm. Suffice it to say, most all mtb are NOT 68 or 73 these days.

Back