What I really don't like about my Giant Explore E+4

Oh, and the grips. While I really like the support that the D shaped wing provides, I do not like the teardrop cross section where your thumb grabs the grips. It rubs my thumbs right at the area next to the web of the thumb

Just a few suggestions from somebody who bought a large Quick E when I really needed an XL.

The Thudbuster LT has a lot more setback than the standard Giant seatpost. Cane Creek quote 13.5mm, but that is unweighted (as in not sat on). The static position is actually about 35mm setback, and you can make it further if you use lighter elastomers.

On the hitting your heel issue, try some MTB pedals that offer a larger platform and spikes to hold your feet in place. I use Crank Brothers Stamp 2, which took a bit of getting used to, but never hit my heel anymore.

On the water bottle issue, there are heaps of options. You can get mounts that attach to the seat rails as well as to the handlebars. You can also get side mount cages to make it easier to insert.See here:

Thanks, good suggestions. I put on Odyssey twisted pedals and they do help but I still occasionally hit. That's the only remaining issue. I used a Kbrotech seat post clamp to hold a water bottle cage and a pump. I bought a Selle Avant SMP seat which has seat rails that extend far forward so that problem is helped. I'm using a Satori Harmony post but if that doesn't absorb shock well enough I'll consider switch. I measure the Giant post as having 30mm setback.

I bought a Wolf Tooth seat post clamp which uses a larger bolt

What MTB pedals are you using?

Overall I have to say that the Giant is the best Ebike for the money. Trek or Specialized might not have the heel hit problem but either cost much more or don't have front suspension.

I have a 2020 Explore E+4 and do not have the same issues. I'm in New Zealand so maybe some model differences? I think the bike is amazing, so happy with it. 10/10 easy for the money paid. Goes anywhere does it all (within reason)
Just some answered below..

1) The terrible Owners Manual.

What are you missing?

2) The only slightly better fork manual

What are you missing?

3) The shifter levers: If you move the set so that the down shifter lever doesn't rub against the base of your thumb it is then hard to reach the up shifter lever.

?? Mine is perfect, maybe the shop tech set it up wrong?

4) The fact that the heel of my left shoe hits the kickstand when pedaling.

My kickstand mounts are back by the rear axle/hub... Never comes close to hitting

5) The seat post doesn't allow the seat to slide back enough for proper knee pedal alignment.

I'm 6' 6 and have XL frame. No issues at all. Is your bike proper fit?

6) the fact that Giant eliminated the computer read-out and gives you the Bluetooth option instead.

I like the minimalist approach, may still get a Ridecontrol Plus once avail but plenty of apps avail for all the info

7) That there is no good place to mount a water bottle holder.

It has mounts, What do you mean??

Anyone considering this bike, I highly recommend.

I have a 2020 Explore E+4 and do not have the same issues. I'm in New Zealand so maybe some model differences? I think the bike is amazing, so happy with it. 10/10 easy for the money paid. Goes anywhere does it all (within reason)
Just some answered below..

1) The terrible Owners Manual.

What are you missing?

2) The only slightly better fork manual

What are you missing?

3) The shifter levers: If you move the set so that the down shifter lever doesn't rub against the base of your thumb it is then hard to reach the up shifter lever.

?? Mine is perfect, maybe the shop tech set it up wrong?

4) The fact that the heel of my left shoe hits the kickstand when pedaling.

My kickstand mounts are back by the rear axle/hub... Never comes close to hitting

5) The seat post doesn't allow the seat to slide back enough for proper knee pedal alignment.

I'm 6' 6 and have XL frame. No issues at all. Is your bike proper fit?

6) the fact that Giant eliminated the computer read-out and gives you the Bluetooth option instead.

I like the minimalist approach, may still get a Ridecontrol Plus once avail but plenty of apps avail for all the info

7) That there is no good place to mount a water bottle holder.

It has mounts, What do you mean??

Anyone considering this bike, I highly recommend.

I'm not going to go back and re-read the manuals. There was much missing, such as how to adjust the brakes and shocks, I recall. Telling you to go to your dealer for every little thing is not helpful.

I don't have an XL, that's what my LBS sold me. My heel hits the left chain stay (possibly the kick stand which is attached as yours).

I have the low entry model so there no water bottle mounts.

I've moved the shift levers around to get an optimal placing, still not perfect for me.

I'd like to be able to read ride info while I'm riding without having to mount my cellphone.

As I said, I've worked out most of the issues and I think the bike can't be beat at or near it's price point..

Back