What I really don't like about my Giant Explore E+4

LeftyS7

1) The terrible Owners Manual.
2) The only slightly better fork manual
3) The shifter levers: If you move the set so that the down shifter lever doesn't rub against the base of your thumb it is then hard to reach the up shifter lever.
4) The fact that the heel of my left shoe hits the kickstand when pedaling.
5) The seat post doesn't allow the seat to slide back enough for proper knee pedal alignment.
6) the fact that Giant eliminated the computer read-out and gives you the Bluetooth option instead.
7) That there is no good place to mount a water bottle holder.

1) The terrible Owners Manual.
2) The only slightly better fork manual
3) The shifter levers: If you move the set so that the down shifter lever doesn't rub against the base of your thumb it is then hard to reach the up shifter lever.
4) The fact that the heel of my left shoe hits the kickstand when pedaling.
5) The seat post doesn't allow the seat to slide back enough for proper knee pedal alignment.
6) the fact that Giant eliminated the computer read-out and gives you the Bluetooth option instead.
7) That there is no good place to mount a water bottle holder.
Did you test ride before you bought it?

I test rode a Trek and read the reviews on the Specialized. Why I bought the Giant was because it had front suspension and five power settings. Both of which I really appreciate.

For bottles, get a stem bag (often called a feed bag) or two. I ride small frames, which even in non-e bikes often have trouble fitting bottles, and I use those a lot to have an extra bottle along. I have Apidura and Revelate bags and both are super nice. You can probably find something cheaper on amazon.

The manuals on all bikes these days kinda suck. I'm guessing some sort of manual is a legal requirement, but everyone expects you to just use their web site/other online resources for specific questions. Companies like Giant expect the dealer to handle support as well.

For shifters, on my MTBs I like to set the shifters away from the grip a bit. You can probably find a position and angle that works. Not familiar with the M2000 shifters, but I have shimanos on a bike or two and they can take some finagaling but usually are great once you find the right position.

For the saddle postion, swap a setback seatpost on. Or try a different saddle. If it needs to pushed super far back you may have too small a frame size.

For the kickstand, yeah, it looks like an 18mm mount thats set kinda far forward. You may need to live without, or try and find a kickstand that mounts tighter to the frame. Heel strike is an issue on touring bikes with racks and saddles if you have large feet as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I bought a seat post on line that had the most setback that I could find but once I got it it looks like the setback is the same as the stock post. I'm pretty sure that I have the largest frame size. I have an old Brooks saddle I'll see if the has longer rails.

Yes Giant says check with your dealer, hard to do when quarantined.

I appreciate your post.

That's where I've looked, I can't find anything that looks like it changes and I've pushed everything I can. You don't have the app, do you?

I would say the only real problem of Giant e-bikes is the software. The brand's decision to use RideControl One remote with the combination with the RideControl app was not really fortunate. Owning a Giant e-bike with a display is really better (I think the Explore E+ is display-equipped?) Apart from that, Giant make beautiful, well equipped (depending on the price though) and affordable e-bikes. I'm very happy with my Trance E+ after I ordered replacing the RideControl One with the RideControl EVO display 2020.

Oh no, never! First of all, the RideControl Evo is expensive. Secondly, it requires hard work from the LBS to replace the remotes, add the display and re-route the wires. I got the service free (only paid for the equipment) since the Giant dealers here respect the customers who have bought the e-bike from them. Technically, an e-MTB requires no display but I love having the display.

Be somehow encouraged: Specialized Mission Control app has its downs as well, and the Specialized e-MTBs come with no display, and controlling the motor is even more rudimentary than with the RideControl One 🤣

Have the bike set up pretty well. Still three complaints, not enough set back for the seat and my left heel occasionally hits the chain stay. No solution to either. I guess I could buy a setback post but I want to get a suspension post and can't find any with additional setback. Third is lousy quality of seat post cap screw. hex is stripping despite using larger Allen wrench. I doubt one will be easily available from Giant and I'd like to get a ss one that won't strip.

Last edited:
Back