What goes bad in a rear hub ? Assuming decent quality part.

I wore out a set of gears at ~4500 miles. No gears available for that brand.
Another hub the connector to the wiring harness burned off in the rain because the pins were too close together for 48 v. Was able to repair that one by changing connector. Weird selection of colors of wire delayed repair 18 months until I was able to disassemble the hub and identify the function of the wires. .
Another hub, 36 v 350 w, was too small for the 60 lb groceries I carry (I weigh 160) and the windings shorted climbing 12% hills with too much voltage, 48 v.
All these were front hubs. I don't like too much weight on the rear.

Last edited:
As indianajo said. And sometimes the hall sensor fails and will cause a jerkiness motion in the hub. I had a friend replace a whole rear wheel only to install the new wheel and have the same problem. He replaced the controller and the problem was solved. He now has a spare rear wheel.

Another friend had a magnet inside the rear hub come unglued. It jammed the rear hub. We fixed it but pulling the hub apart made us count our fingers afterwards because of the magnet strength! SNAP! All your fingers there?

So unless you really run heavy loads, live by salty air or climb huge hills on a daily basis hub motors are overall pretty reliable.

Back