¿What do you think of electric tricycles?

99% of the people that spend a lot of extra money to buy the biggest (or an extra) battery they can get so they can ride 100+ miles quickly find out that it is not the battery that limits, it's your ASS. ;)
Trikes make an enormous amount of sense in that you can ride all day and be comfortable when you ride and when you are done.
I've had a trike in my stable for almost 20 years now (many of them) and I'll never be without.
Motor or not, there's just something about the ride that satisfies like no other way.

I can go 4.5 hours into a 25 mph wind pedalling myself, at 6 mph. I have an old fashioned cushioned wide seat, not one of those splinters the bike shops stock exclusively. I buy seats at Salvation Army. Fighting that much wind wears me out, but I gotta go to/from my summer camp when city services and appointments allow me.
So electrically driven, at 15 mph, I could easily make 72 miles. I bought a 15 AH 48 v battery, because I have a couple of fall parties and concerts I'd like to attend that are 35-40 miles away. I'm not counting on finding a charger at the destination; I'm sure one is not available at the one I attended in October (by rental car).
As an added bonus, electrical drive could fight the wind for me, getting me there on my normal commute in a normal 3.5 hr. I don't intend to use it on nice days. 3.5 hour exercise twice a week has been good for my cardiovascular system. I'm age 67.
So far my endurance greatly exceeds that of the motor/controller I bought, which lasted about 80 miles. I pedalled it to destination from two failures

Last edited:
They are harder for drivers to see, so you need flags and lights, and very expensive!

What's your age? How far do you want to ride? How fast? Is it mostly flat? Are you riding by your self or with someone? On a bike path or on the road? How big are you? All of these come in to play on what you end up with.
I have a trike and wouldn't give it up.

An electric tricycle is perfect for the person who would love to ride but is not quite up to a conventional bike, or trike. You can sit back and let the trike do the work or pedal when you want some exercise.It's sort of the best of both worlds.

The most advanced now in this sector comes with a transparent methacrylate dome that protects you from the inclemency of the weather; 80% of the body and that also have front and rear signaling with direction indicators included and it seems that in some cases it can be folded.

There should be more companies and increase competitiveness to lower prices.

I consider it a very valid transportation option.

I recently saw a lady on an electric trike with her two little kids in the back. The trike had flags and a bright tail light for added safety. I'm not sure what brand it was but it look really cool. I think electric trikes are awesome and would be a lot of fun for people with well behaved dogs or kids.

Back