What are your speculations for 2020 Rad Power Bikes?

Klein Rider

My 2020 speculations:
  • Frame integrated battery
  • New Rover and Mini frame designs - RP proprietary design
  • New Wagon frame, lighter weight
  • New display - RP proprietary design (no more King Meter)
What are your speculations?

I thought they WERE a major player in the industry.

I would like to see:
1. A geared hub in the City. Maybe keep both offerings. [shrug] I test-rode one with the direct drive hub and it was really nice if not a bit lethargic getting up to speed. I have doubts about hill-climbing performance.
2. A bike similar to the Rover but not 'fat-tires', something more like a 2" to 2.3" wide tire on a 27.5 wheel.
3. Remake the Mini and Rover into a true e-minibike/campbike like the new Juiced model.
4. A 'City' offering on 700c wheels.

Rad is on a mission to expose people to the positives of e-bikeing they might address fundamental concerns to attract non cyclists such as safety and security.

For example they added the brake light function, co branded puncture resistant tires, reflective sidewalls. Maybe updates more inline with the safety trend is expected for 2020?

They also have a commercial division which I don't see from even the biggest players.

I would like to see:
1. A geared hub in the City. Maybe keep both offerings. [shrug] I test-rode one with the direct drive hub and it was really nice if not a bit lethargic getting up to speed. I have doubts about hill-climbing performance.
2. A bike similar to the Rover but not 'fat-tires', something more like a 2" to 2.3" wide tire on a 27.5 wheel.
3. Remake the Mini and Rover into a true e-minibike/campbike like the new Juiced model.
They are ; a more major player . :)

I think the Rads are great, all of them, but they need some power options big time. As people become more educated about the different hub drive types (geared vs. direct) it becomes easy to see that Rad needs to review at least a couple of their models. Their City and the Wagon are both OK as is (barely), but would be MUCH better served with a 750w GEAR dive. At the very least, offer the 2 bikes with that option...

A bigger battery option would be nice as well.

2020 will likely be a great year for Rad and new designs. Only a hunch of course , but seeing in early previews a quite a few other brands have some really cool stuff coming, at excellent price points and extremely nice looking designs. Some sneak previews I have seen, will no doubt present some exciting choices for consumers with more being offered at good price points. If the tariffs actually and for real get lifted, that could open the flood gates even more. My guess is that some vendors are betting on that to come about.

I hope consumers and the Ebike makers alike have a great 2020 !

2020 will likely be a great year for Rad and new designs. Only a hunch of course , but seeing in early previews a quite a few other brands have some really cool stuff coming, at excellent price points and extremely nice looking designs. Some sneak previews I have seen, will no doubt present some exciting choices for consumers with more being offered at good price points. If the tariffs actually and for real get lifted, that could open the flood gates even more. My guess is that some vendors are betting on that to come about.

Yamaha ?

Some new color schemes, is what I have seen for their ebikes. Not sure about motors or new models yet. They made announcements on motors earlier this year, but no timetable or whether those will be on their new ebikes, or for the ebike makers they still sell their mid drives to.

I just read today, no tariffs on ebikes. 👍
If it's the article from Electrek, it's not true. Bicycle Retailer refuted it, as did several ebike industry CEO's.

Bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2019/11/14/explainer-sorry-no-trade-war-not-over

If it's a new source and more recent , it'd be interesting to see the link.

PS. US tariffs on European products could be next. That could be a real mess on many levels in a number of industries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 2020 to 2025 will be good years for sales, but I do see where ebikes sales will fall off somewhat, remember there becomes a time when new fads do taper off and lets face it not everyone wants or needs a ebike for there transportation needs. Not everyone works a tech job and lives in a large city where getting around can be a problem, for them it works, but for most of us it wouldn't.

I think 2020 to 2025 will be good years for sales, but I do see where ebikes sales will fall off somewhat, remember there becomes a time when new fads do taper off and lets face it not everyone wants or needs a ebike for there transportation needs. Not everyone works a tech job and lives in a large city where getting around can be a problem, for them it works, but for most of us it wouldn't.

Recent history, trends, and predictions, are the opposite of this. [shrug]
The market is predicted to grow about 20% per year. $16B coming out of China alone.

I see other markets expanding, specifically active seniors who live in smaller towns where they don't have a daily hour-long commute.

Mike: I have a question for you.

People who buy Rad bikes are typically DIY people. But I know lots of people who would be interested in an e-bike but are not DIY people.

Do you see a hybrid arrangement in which people buy a direct-to-consumer bike and have it shipped to a local shop. The shop assembles and tunes it, for a fee. The shop then becomes the local garage and does seasonal servicing (for a fee, of course).

Ken, RAD has been doing this for quite some time. It's more about you and what you can work out with a local shop of your choice. Some are willing, others are not (for all sorts of reasons, but mostly BS).

Velofix (velofix.com) is another option people have been using. Often the local shop is willing to receive, assemble, and deliver a bike that's ready to go, then repair under warranty with RAD's blessing.

I would like to see:
Good list, all of these would be nice.

Thanks. I think I mis-spoke on the "mini" and "rover" - I meant Mini and Runner - the small-wheeled bikes. I think Juiced is going the right direction on these - make it a play-bike/mini-bike with high power, so it's more like an electric minibike or camp bike. Wow, to be 12 years old again!!! I had one with a lawnmower engine in it, about 1968. Now I'm REALLY dating myself. :cool:

IMO the Rover with 27.5 wheels and 2.5 tires like a hardtail mountain bike would be a very hot seller. Especially with a good fork and a big battery, and all in for around $1500.
I'm just not the right target for a 'fatbike', they just don't do anything for me.

I'm thinking the new ride1up 700 may be close to what you (and I) are looking for. Schwalbe Super Moto 27.5x2.4 inch tires, 500 watt (1000 peak ?) geared motor with 53 nm torque. I was a little surprised that it is not higher torque, only 13 nm more than the RadCity, but less than the 80 nm Rover. Claimed weight is 61 pounds. 48v/14Ah battery with Samsung cells. Hydraulic brakes, oil fork 100 mm, color display, left thumb throttle, Acera trigger shifter, with 11-32 and 45 chainring. Price $1,499, available Dec 20. Stepover or Step thru models. https://ride1up.com/product/700-series/ The owner Kevin, says there will be EBR reviews in December. The 500 series bike has had some pretty good reviews.

Last edited:
Back