Water Bottles

Jim1348

I am looking around for a water bottle. I may even be interested in getting an insulated water bottle. Which ones to people here like and why?

I use whatever Made in America one my local bicycle shop sells. I don't care if it has the shops branding or something wacky written on it. Just regular extra-large BPE free American made works for me. Have never used the insulated ones so I can't comment on them.

my wife hates bottle taste so thats the thing. we got her a lifestrpaw and that works but the flow is too slow.

Lately I’ve been using a Travel Kuppe…a sleeve of lime Pedialyte and I’m jacked up like Dick Butkus

Ross has nice stainless steel insulated coffee cups for about $6. Some fit a standard cage, 90mm, and some can go in a cup holder on the HB. Topeak also has a nice expandable cage with an adjustable rubber strap. Insulated stainless can be used for whatever you drink. Even hot soup in the Winter. Or you can keep it in the freezer for a frosty mug.

Reactions: rtp
I'm a late starter in life to have a serious riding habit, so don't understand the mix of alcohol and a machine where balance and reaction time is super critical.
In my earlier days, did a ride called RAGBRAI (also known as drink across Iowa). There are many friendly towns and vendors that sell food to keep you fueled. One morning, came across a farmer that had several kegs on tap; free beer. We sat, visited, drank for several hours, said thank you and got on our bikes to finish another 40ish miles. At took one push on the pedal trying to merge with the rest of the group to realize we had made a big mistake. We made it, but registered it on our future no-no list.

During the Civil War the next large town sent a mob on horseback to burn down my Union town. Business leaders caught wind of it and gathered a pool of money and rode as fast as they could to the roadhouse half way between the two towns. They got there first and ordered free whisky for everyone. The mob never made it to my town.

In my earlier days, did a ride called RAGBRAI (also known as drink across Iowa). There are many friendly towns and vendors that sell food to keep you fueled. One morning, came across a farmer that had several kegs on tap; free beer. We sat, visited, drank for several hours, said thank you and got on our bikes to finish another 40ish miles. At took one push on the pedal trying to merge with the rest of the group to realize we had made a big mistake. We made it, but registered it on our future no-no list.
RAGBRAI 2022 commences on July 24 in Sergeant Bluff, IA and ends on July 30 at Lansing, IA ... 462 miles. (https://ragbrai.com/). Even if I had a way to keep a full charge on my ebike and didn't drink ANY beer (unlikely), it is way more than I am capable of doing.

I haven’t researched RAGBRAI in a few years, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the ‘tour operators’ wouldn’t be making accommodations for charging customers ebikes.

Camelbak Chute. SS insulated. 20oz or 32oz depending on length of ride. I place it in the freezer before use then add a little ice, about 1/4 full of ice before adding water or other beverage. Stays nice and cold for a looooonng time. Can be used for hot beverages as well.

On bikes with a water bottle cage, and pretty much everywhere, I usually use a Hydroflask insulated bottle. My wife uses one (IIRC 18oz?) on her ebike, while I've shifted to using a Source brand bladder in a backpack. The insulated bottles keep things cold (or warm) for quite a while - I use them on road trips in larger sizes (64oz/gallon) as well as the smaller, throwing a handful of ice in it, and using it to top off my 'drinking' bottle on the trip. Sadly, AFAIK, there are no actual made-in-USA insulated bottles like Hydroflask (although they're an American company). I think a few of my non-Hydroflasks were made in Japan but forget the brand offhand.

The Polar squeeze bottles are US-made and seemed promising, but my wife prefers her Hydroflask..

What I do is buy a bottle of water at a 7-11 and refill it for the rest of the year or until it dies. This is only because my values are weird. I will spend $500 in parts and three days labor stripping down and making an old bike into perfection. Then more time and money making it electric perfection. I am working on one now. I will spend extra on premium bearings and high-end handmade leather grips, but not on a water bottle. :p

Back