Washington State: WDFW and DNR E-bike virtual public meeting

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades

May 18, 2022, 5:30 - 7pm

Join WDFW and DNR recreation planners to share feedback on electric-assist biking, or e-biking. In spring 2021, the Washington Legislature passed senate bill 5452, which directed WDFW and DNR to lead a public engagement process to help inform where and which type of e-bikes may be allowed on WDFW and DNR-managed lands.

Registration information available in the link.

I was listening to it on my phone, but when they said they were going to divide up and go to break out rooms, I hung up. I hope to find notes on the discussion somewhere. I fear that no good will result from this chance to "make rules".

Seems pretty obvious from the phrasing of the questions what the default assumptions are.

Under what circumstances, if any, should E-bikes be allowed on non-motorized trails and closed roads on lands managed by DNR and WDFW?

Which of the three classes may be allowable, if any?

So long as some want to cling to the concept that an compliant "low speed electric bicycle" (as defined by HR727 which passed one vote short of congressional consensus in 2002 defining that they are bicycles and not motorized vehicles) is a motorized vehicle this brain-dead debate will continue. We have to thank People for Bikes accepting lobby money to push the 3-class system adding to the complexity and confusion. An LSEB was supposed to be the equivalent of a bicycle so that states would "use" regulate them as such...not go about redefining what they are in senseless classes that make people think there is a real difference between a class 1 and 2 (anyone with a synapse would realize it would be simple to have a throttle that only functions when the pedals are rotating so that would make it a Class 1 pedal-assist compliant ebike but the assist would actually be 100% controlled by the throttle).

My guess is that not one person on the rule making side of this has even read HR727 or has any clue about the early efforts by Dr. Currie to get that legislation passed. Again, it passed ONE VOTE short of full congressional consensus so the states spoke at that time that an LSEB as to be a bike. The fact that 20 years later this is still being debated is just insane and pointless (only after ebikes became very viable urban mobility solutions did the auto and oil companies throw lobby money at bike advocacy groups to neuter ebike potential). Lawmakers always feel they need to screw with things. This was settled so leave it alone.

Last edited:
Back