Wanted-Tips Buying Used E-Bike

If it is sold without a charger, it was stolen.
If charger connector does not match the battery, it was stolen.
Electric bicycles are subject to flaky failures that only occur when a severe bump is hit, or when it is hot or cold or humid, or after 10 to 30 miles. The ones with these problems are the ones which get sold off. Old or damaged batteries have 1/10 the capacity of new ones. You won't know until you try to ride it the acceptable range and don't make it. Replacement batteries that will plug in the old mount are usually unavailable.
With the prices I see on the local craigslist for used electric bicycles, I wouldn't buy one. They are rediculous for obsolete technology. Battery capacity has tripled in the last 5 years.
Worn out chains & sprockets pop over the rear sprocket in the most popular speed. On a mid drive often the front sprocket in the motor is worn out too. Rust on the chain or control cables means storage abuse.
Electric bikes with rim brakes will have a fifth of the stopping capacity in the rain. At electric bike speeds (over 10) this is dangerous. Disk brakes are the modern bad weather technology.
You do sometimes on here find posters that bought a bike with the wrong riding position, or the wrong size, or without some feature they really needed, like a throttle. Buying from this site involves usually shipping, which in most cases is not economic for an individual.

Last edited:
Electric bicycles are subject to flaky failures that only occur when a severe bump is hit, or when it is hot or cold or humid, or after 10 to 30 miles. The ones with these problems are the ones which get sold off. Old or damaged batteries have 1/10 the capacity of new ones. You won't know until you try to ride it the acceptable range and don't make it. Replacement batteries that will plug in the old mount are usually unavailable.
With the prices I see on the local craigslist for used electric bicycles, I wouldn't buy one. They are rediculous for obsolete technology. Battery capacity has tripled in the last 5 years.
Worn out chains & sprockets pop over the rear sprocket in the most popular speed. On a mid drive often the front sprocket in the motor is worn out too. Rust on the chain or control cables means storage abuse.
Electric bikes with rim brakes will have a fifth of the stopping capacity in the rain. At electric bike speeds (over 10) this is dangerous. Disk brakes are the modern bad weather technology.
You do sometimes on here find posters that bought a bike with the wrong riding position, or the wrong size, or without some feature they really needed, like a throttle. Buying from this site involves usually shipping, which in most cases is not economic for an individual.

Thank you for that feedback
indianajo

Hello,

What is it that I need to know if I choose to buy a used E-bike?

Thank's in advance.

Welcome to EBR.

If you still are interested in buying used... check out BBB and look for low miles and no wear.

Welcome to EBR.

If you still are interested in buying used... check out BBB and look for low miles and no wear.

Although not strictly used, I would buy refurbished and store demos with low miles without worry. They are often available at bike shops, along with the trade ins.

Good point on demos and refurbished. Most of the remaining BBB eBike inventory is new-old-stock with zero miles. ;)

With the prices I see on the local craigslist for used electric bicycles, I wouldn't buy one.

I do have a friend who bought a 2 year old full suspension haibike off bicyclebluebook and when I checked it out it was obviously unsold new inventory. It was a local bike shop selling it. But it came without a charger (yamaha) which ended up being another $200 when he finally found one. But overall he got a good deal and is happy with it, even with the 400Wh battery.

I have twice in the past year seen radrovers on craigslist that looked like legit sellers offering to transfer registered ownership with radpower. Both times the ad disappeared in 2 or 3 days, implying quick sale.

I do have a friend who bought a 2 year old full suspension haibike off bicyclebluebook and when I checked it out it was obviously unsold new inventory. It was a local bike shop selling it. But it came without a charger (yamaha) which ended up being another $200 when he finally found one. But overall he got a good deal and is happy with it, even with the 400Wh battery.

I have twice in the past year seen radrovers on craigslist that looked like legit sellers offering to transfer registered ownership with radpower. Both times the ad disappeared in 2 or 3 days, implying quick sale.

Thank you, Yeah I bet it wasn't listed for long there.

Thank you for sharing that with me. I'm sure it did go fast!

Gunna bump this. I'm curious as to your opinion- would you buy a used Ebike? (without a warranty)

I have purchased a few used bikes over the years. The key is to interview the seller and understand the backstory. ;)

I have purchased a few used bikes over the years. The key is to interview the seller and understand the backstory. ;)
Yeah, that's kinda how I would look at it. The warranty part doesn't bother me as much as how it was utilized. My guess is the Treks, Specialized, Bulls, etc are going to hold resale much better than the bike I bought off of the internet...

Yeah, that's kinda how I would look at it. The warranty part doesn't bother me as much as how it was utilized.
My guess is the Treks, Specialized, Bulls, etc. are going to hold resale much better than the bike I bought off of the internet...
Yes, the key is to understand that you are buying the person as well as the bike. I bought a Raleigh EBike with 40 miles on the Odometer. ;)

Last edited:
So...in summation, You probably shouldn´t buy a used ebike.:rolleyes: There may also unseen frame issues, (worn or bent dropouts)

Back