WANTED: Luna Apollo

They went with the Dengfu M09 frame for the Luna X1:

Maybe a fatty based on the Dengfu E06?

Wafabike has a build: https://wafabike.com/en/product/i-am-carbon/

That said the frame only allows for a 672 wh battery which seems low for an Apollo replacement.

Not Luna's frame. A few folks had been doing builds with the M09. Luna (apparently) now won't allow Dengfu to sell that frame to anyone in North America.

Yeah, I returned my X1 due to the noise. Some think the carbon frame contributes to the noise. I think it's more the M600 is just a loud motor now with the steel reduction gear. I rode a friend's Flx Blade with the G510 Ultra (all metal gears) and it was much quieter than my X1. That said many seem happy with their X1 and claim it gets quieter as it breaks in.

Personally, I'm going to go with an Ultra due to the ability to program it. That's the other issue I had with the X1 is there was no way to program the M600 and make the X1 street legal (without removing the throttle) and no way to make it Class 1 trail legal either.

Not Luna's frame. A few folks had been doing builds with the M09. Luna (apparently) now won't allow Dengfu to sell that frame to anyone in North America.

OK, that maybe explains why places like Lamere cycles stopped selling them (they called the model the "mini-beast").

As for noise, it's not like the Bafang Ultra in the Apollo is quiet. My wife's Dapu is much quieter. I haven't heard the M600 personally, though.

I took a 25 mile around the Tiburon peninsula yesterday. Battery at the end was 99%. I was going pretty slowly to not get ahead of my wife. I was happily surprised to find that pedaling the Apollo with no assist wasn't that bad at all, at least if you're not going uphill.

As far as noise, I only rode my friend's ultra for 5 minutes but it was quiet on flats. When going uphill you hear the motor but not as loud as the M600. On my X1 I heard the noise any time the motor kicked in, even on flats.

For the not so educated isnt the steel gear stronger and wouldnt it last longer? Or is the plastic so long lasting that its doesnt come in to play ( worth replacing and being quiet)

BTW, not full suspension like the Apollo but Flx is coming out with a 52V version of the Blade with integrated battery, Rohloff and belt drive. No pictures yet other than the mock up but I like how clean it looks. I never really liked the looks of the Apollo with monster battery. Hopefully the new bike Luna is coming out with looks a little cleaner as well.

1645405860.png

Luna only rebrands someone else’s work. The only innovative product has been their potted batteries, and ebikes.ca was first and has real potential. Luna’s makes bold claims about leading edge designs but it’s a toss up with current politics regarding who has more trouble with facts. If Grin did the modular batteries in13s or 14s there would be no competition.

I like the idea of belt drive , i was skeptical when i bought my first belt drive Harley. They were tough as nails!
I guess time will tell with bicycles but the technology is proven already

I'm on my third year with the Bafang Ultra with nylon gears and have experienced no problems and it runs very quietly. I do have the metal gears ready to go but not until the nylon gears fail.

Luna only rebrands someone else’s work.

I believe the Apex and Apollo have frames that are exclusively Luna. Whether Luna hired the designers directly or contracted it out or worked with frame builders to design the frame I don't know. Does one say Riese & Muller rebeand someone else's work because they use Bosch drivetrains, Magura brakes, Rohloff hubs, etc.

Luna also has chargers I haven't seen anywhere else that have amperage adjustment (1-5 amps) and Stop Charge adjustments (80%, 90%, 100%). A nice middle ground in terms of features and price compared to the bulk standard chargers most bikes come with and the pricey Grin Satiator.

As a buyer, what matters to me is performance, features, quality, ergonomics, and price. Not whether Luna designs and builds all aspects of what they sell.

Not sure if this is the "new" bike Luna was referring to but they just announced the Fat BABE:

babe-1-watermark__65478.1578527016.jpg

HT Fatty with M600 motor, Gates CDX drive and 5 speed IGH.

Last edited:
Back