Want a comfort ebike under $1100

CornPop

I don't ride a lot but I'd like something I can take out once every couple weeks for 5-25 miles. I live near a 25 mile paved bike trail.

I stand 6' tall at 190lbs. I have a Jamis Hudson which fits me perfectly, and I've considered adding an electric bike kit but I'd prefer to keep it as is.

In my search so far I like these three bikes:

NCM Hamburg

Aventon Pace 350

Eahora Cruiser

They all have 350 watt motors which would be ok, but would prefer to find a 500 watt. The Eahora has regen capabilities so it would allow longer cruises. The Aventon is the lightest at 48 lbs for easier non powered peddling.

Rideup 500 has the 500 watt but price is a little higher than I want to spend unless it's really worth it. Plus I don't really like the 2 handlebar choices.

Any others I should be looking at?

Would something like the Lectric XP with a larger spring seat possibly work?

NCM Hamburg would be a good choice. The front suspension, fenders and rear cargo rack are nice additions. Especially riding after a rain thru puddles. Not sure of your terrain around you but my 350 watt is plenty fast for me and my area is mostly flat. For the price as a budget intro might turn out fine for your needs. Not sure what battery brand they use might want to inquire because that can be important. You could always swap out seats if the NCM doesn't work for you.
Good luck

Take a look at the cruisers available at BD for under $1,100... hope this helps. ;)

1587440725182.png

Hi Pops,
" Any others I should be looking at?"
Yes, a bike with substantially more power and good looks.
For EX: All models from Ariel Rider have more of what it takes to move a man.
Have Fun
Mike

Ride1up 500. I know you said you didn't like the handlebar choices. I changed mine to a mustache for $20. Love the bike, very high quality, on pavement and packed dirt. 500 watts, 750 max, and good support from Kevin and the people at Ride1up.

I don't ride a lot but I'd like something I can take out once every couple weeks for 5-25 miles. I live near a 25 mile paved bike trail.

I stand 6' tall at 190lbs. I have a Jamis Hudson which fits me perfectly, and I've considered adding an electric bike kit but I'd prefer to keep it as is.

In my search so far I like these three bikes:

NCM Hamburg

Aventon Pace 350

Eahora Cruiser

They all have 350 watt motors which would be ok, but would prefer to find a 500 watt. The Eahora has regen capabilities so it would allow longer cruises. The Aventon is the lightest at 48 lbs for easier non powered peddling.

Rideup 500 has the 500 watt but price is a little higher than I want to spend unless it's really worth it. Plus I don't really like the 2 handlebar choices.

Any others I should be looking at?

Would something like the Lectric XP with a larger spring seat possibly work?

Regarding the Eahora Cruiser, to buy it for it's extended range due to regen capabilities would be a mistake. Regen great for those riding in hilly areas to hold speed in check coming down big hills, but for those thinking it might increase their range, I'm thinking they're going to be pretty disappointed. The amount of power making it back into the battery, even in hilly areas, is not going to make a practical difference in range. It's a very small percentage. Feature makes for good add copy with some companies.

The Eahora has regen capabilities so it would allow longer cruises.
Regen will have rather minimal effect on your range. It is more useful when you're using brakes often (and even then you will hardly notice range increase).

Note that of all the bikes mentioned in post #1 only Aventon have dealers network with brick and mortar stores - if this is important.

Last edited:
NCM Hamburg would be a good choice. The front suspension, fenders and rear cargo rack are nice additions. Especially riding after a rain thru puddles. Not sure of your terrain around you but my 350 watt is plenty fast for me and my area is mostly flat. For the price as a budget intro might turn out fine for your needs. Not sure what battery brand they use might want to inquire because that can be important. You could always swap out seats if the NCM doesn't work for you.
Good luck

NCM uses DeHawk batteries with Panasonic cells, which is the same manufacturer of cells for Toyota Prius.

I wouldn't compare any ebike battery to that of Toyota Prius. Different chemistry, different BMS, different cooling - forced air cooling in Prius VS no cooling in ebikes.

BD for under $1,100
My fat bike from them was damaged in shipping. If you refuse to accept a damaged box and refuse shipment they charge you for the return. The damaged bike is your responsibility to repair. My fork was trashed and I needed $75 dollars in tools to repair.

They left a sour taste for me.

My fat bike from them was damaged in shipping. If you refuse to accept a damaged box and refuse shipment they charge you for the return. The damaged bike is your responsibility to repair. My fork was trashed and I needed $75 dollars in tools to repair.

They left a sour taste for me.

Would me too. I might even get a little testy if they refused a refund on a damaged shipment. Seems like the credit card company might cover you on something like that, no?

I have purchased a few bikes from BD over the years and have always been a satisfied customer.
Never had a problem with damage or shipping... they even sent me spare parts when requested.
Bottom line... They still offer a solid value for some nice Ebikes if you can handle basic assembly. YMMV ;)

Seems like the credit card company might cover you on something like that, no?
Nope, there was a statement buried in the details that described the process. I overlooked it. They sent me a new fork but not a new race installed on the fork. I ended up waiting a week for the part, none of the 3 nearest LBS had the right size. I also bought the proper tool. Which saved my bacon on a couple of builds. Another of the tools I'll soon be offering for sale. No more scratch builds for me. In the end, the fatty geometry of their bike stunk. As always the devil was in the details and my fault.

I have purchased a few bikes from BD over the years and have always been a satisfied customer.
Never had a problem with damage or shipping... they even sent me spare parts when requested.
Bottom line... They still offer a solid value for some nice Ebikes if you can handle basic assembly. YMMV ;)

There's a bunch of BBSxx kits sold to happy BD buyers! Like every other direct sale, expect to be your own LBS if things go south. They do have some quite nice bikes.

BD site is funny. Love the opening line:

"There are Only Two Types of Ebike Drives. The Top tech available is Mid-Drive. Only Shimano, Bosch and Yamaha are the best.
The 2nd Type is Hub Drive. The Only choice for a Hub Drive Brand is Bafang. Other brands may have NO Service and NO product liabilty insurance and NO Replacement parts in the USA. "

"The Top tech available is Mid-Drive"
- Questionable, but I won't go there now.

"The Only choice for a Hub Drive Brand is Bafang"
- Really? :) So there is no Stromer, Dapu, Shengui, TDCM? Okkey.....

"Other brands may have NO Service and NO product liabilty insurance and NO Replacement parts in the USA. "
- Oh, please... Nobody is servicing Bafang hubs, they are cheap, you just replace it, with or without a wheel. And there is no "liability" insurance with a motor, they don't know what they are talking about. Some parts are available for Bafang, yes - not sure that stuff coming from Ebay or Amazon should be called "in the USA", but, well - I'm in a good mood, will let it slip.

Not a big choice of bikes, of recognizable brands there is only Motobecane and less known Mango, but they sure like flashy colors (on the page, not on the bikes) and the word "Super" - Superhybrid, Supercomfy, Superebikes.

They really should drop the Marketing BS... completely unnecessary as they have good quality bikes. ;)

Last edited:
I purchased the NCM Munich from Lyon Cycle in Nov. 2020. This is very similar to the NCM Hamburg but it has a step through frame and comes in 26" and 28" sizes. It was very easy to assemble and the quality and features are great for city and suburban riding. Very comfortable seat and handgrips. Very easy to operate.

Check out my unboxing, assembly and review of this electric bike at

Quality, performance, comfort, style, value, customer service and price make this a winner for urban/suburban electric biking. The open frame makes it very easy to get on and off for all. The rear wheel lock is a great feature but you still need a lock to attach the bike to something to deter theft. The bike is powerful and easy to operate. The first time you use it, you will be surprised at the quick take off and smooth operation!

I highly recommend the NCM Munich and Leon Cycle.

Back