VPO

Granite

Region
USA
Some brands I see are introducing vpo variable power output as a means to meet regulatory issues. Basically I think it allows you to say set the power to match each class. Seems like a good idea. But then. I know that there will be people who use higher than permitted levels. For any specific area. What do you think?

Multi-mode capability was inevitably going to be necessity once one company realized that they are compliant to the federal definition in HR727 while everyone believes that an ebike has to be compliant to the 3-class regulations at the state level to be ridden legally. The fact is that an ebike can be sold in the US so long as compliant to the federal definition and nothing at the state level actually makes it illegal to be used wherever a bike is legal to ride. There will be a bunch of trolls chime in and say I'm crazy but they also told me I was nuts when I predicted that multi-mode models would make enforcing the 3-class regulations impossible.

The sad part is that this mess was created by People for Bikes because they accepted lobby model to push the 3-class legislation that somewhat mimics the regulation of ebikes in the EU. There was some intent to have harmonized legislation but no way the 25kph / 15 mph assist limit was going to happen here (that is too slow for an ebike to be an effective transportation solution).

Multi-mode capability was inevitably going to be necessity once one company realized that they are compliant to the federal definition in HR727 while everyone believes that an ebike has to be compliant to the 3-class regulations at the state level to be ridden legally. The fact is that an ebike can be sold in the US so long as compliant to the federal definition and nothing at the state level actually makes it illegal to be used wherever a bike is legal to ride. There will be a bunch of trolls chime in and say I'm crazy but they also told me I was nuts when I predicted that multi-mode models would make enforcing the 3-class regulations impossible.

The sad part is that this mess was created by People for Bikes because they accepted lobby model to push the 3-class legislation that somewhat mimics the regulation of ebikes in the EU. There was some intent to have harmonized legislation but no way the 25kph / 15 mph assist limit was going to happen here (that is too slow for an ebike to be an effective transportation solution).
What is "multi-mode capability" in an ebike context?

In addition to big name brands like Yamaha and Gazelle, my dealer in coastal SoCal sells ebikes from E-Lux (a SoCal manufacturer) with 750W hub motors, throttles, and 28 mph assist limits straight from the factory.

These are mash-ups of Classes 2 and 3. They have no class labels. I've seen other examples.

These mash-ups seem to be popular in hilly San Diego County. Is the class system breaking down here?

What is "multi-mode capability" in an ebike context?

In addition to big name brands like Yamaha and Gazelle, my dealer in coastal SoCal sells ebikes from E-Lux (a SoCal manufacturer) with 750W hub motors, throttles, and 28 mph assist limits straight from the factory.

These are mash-ups of Classes 2 and 3. They have no class labels. I've seen other examples.

These mash-ups seem to be popular in hilly San Diego County. Is the class system breaking down here?
Multi-mode is a software capability to switch from Class 1 to Class 2 to Class 3 anytime you want. The idea is that when a rider is on a road side bike lane that allows Class 3 they switch the ebike to that mode. The problem lies in enforcement because most riders are just going to leave the ebike in Class 3 (or even off-road mode) and if ever stopped by the police just switch the ebike back to class 1.

This is why the federal definition for a Low Speed Electric Bicycle was so much better - one definition for sales and use compliance but for some reason People for Bikes decided getting lobby money was more important that supporting the better legislation for ebikes.

Given that at least one of the major OEMs has decided they need to have a throttle on their ebikes sold in the US they will eventually determine they need to offer multi-mode models as well. No one really wants the top assist level cutting off at 20mph (in some ways that abrupt cut-off can be dangerous).

Back