Volton Alation 500 Speed Increase

George,
Yes, I did see and read that, shortly after reading Courts' review. I still think the Alation 500 is a heck of a nice bike, but the Stromer ST1 Platinum has cast a spell on me. I am finding out the Stromer may not be all that much more expensive.

This has been a great for me as after extensive research online, but little actual road time due to availability in the Baltimore are, have come narrowed my choices for my wife and me(in our 50's but weekend warriors) down to the Volton Alation 500s or the Diamondback womens Lindau EXC and Trace EXC, overall very similar specifications. I love the look of the Volton and Joe is a great guy, but my main concern is availability of local service support, as MD is not yet a hot bed for ebikes, and overall reliability. As for the Diamondbacks, I can get them for slightly less money at the local Performance Bike shop, plus free assembly/setup, plus service there, and earn over $400 in store credit with there membership card. My only hesitations with the Diamondbacks are the rear battery pack and no front suspension the women's bike, and I don't think they look as cool as the Voltions. We ride mainly paved or hard packed trails, and just want to be able to ride longer and have as sit with hills. I'm just looking for a push in one direction or the other, so any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Will promise to update on our experiences once we have made a decision and had some time with the bikes.

I wish we had a bunch of statistics for reliability. What's clear is that many of these simple bikes are ebikes (only) because of two core components, the motor and the battery. The Diamondback is a direct drive motor, but they are getting some serious output with a 48v battery. There isn't too much to a direct drive motor. It's not clear what the battery is, say LiFePo4 or LiPo, etc. The Volton is actually branding his battery, and Samsung does have a good rep. Volton has a bigger battery, which extends the life because the % drawdown is lower.

The Volton is a geared motor, which has more parts, so might be less reliable over a lot of hours. But geared is more efficient, normally, which again helps the battery.

Everything else is a bike. It's possible there are problems with the Volton frames, but we know all basic frames are made in either China, give or take. Court didn't find any real problems with the frame of the Volton, I assume. A lot of parts can be repaired by anyone who knows bikes.

If Diamondback is making a bike in China and importing it into the US, it's not all that different than when Joe imports a bike. In some ways, after a few years, he may have some edges. I'm sure if you asked Joe where he was getting his bikes, why he thinks they are good bikes, what he's learned, he might tell you. I am pretty sure if you asked Dback the same questions, a PR guy would spin a yarn.

I guess if i were getting close to $3k I would look for a cheap Haibike or something (online discounter) on the theory that a premium bike would hold value better, and Haibike puts you on the cutting edge. I personally stay away from the cutting edge, it might slice right through me.

Thanks George. Your posts are great and very insightful. Actually the two Diamondback bikes were are considering have the rear hub fearless drives, thus the concern for the rear battery and weight in the rear on the ladies bike. Both have the same motor and power. I think my wife would be more comfortable on the D back due to the more upright riding position. EVA has reviewed both the Lindau EXC and Trace EXV that we are considering and given them good ratings. The D backs would cost me $200 more than 2 volton 500s (actually 500 of MSRP for the D backs on sale) plus we could get over $400 in store credit with the purchase of the Dbacks. I also like the 750w tires on the D backs for easier rolling and would be fine for the type of riding we do, plus having a local dealer for service and support is a big plus, especially for my wife. I just wish there was more info online for the Dbacks, maybe there is a reason for that. I think when all is done I will get the Lindau for my wife and the Volton 500 for myself. There you have it, I think all this babbling online has help me decide. I'm still open for suggestions though, please, please someone help me....I'm to dam I decisive, ughhhh.

You will be averaging a considerably higher speed and carrying more weight than you would on a pedal-only bike. The bike will be about twice the weight of a pedal-bike - an extra 25 lbs. or so. Thus, look for a very sturdy frame and headset, better-than-the-average-bicycle brakes, and strong wheels. The Volton qualifies.

Also, frame size can be an issue. The Volton only comes in a Medium size, and for me, at 5'9", there is not enough seatpost exposed to fit a Thudbuster or other suspension seatpost.

Back