Voltbike Mariner 500w folding electric fat bike

Voltbike

Guys, I am very happy to introduce the newest addition to the Voltbike family.

Voltbike Mariner is folding electric fat bike with 20x4" fat tires. Not only that, it's using the same 48V system and 500w 8Fun motor as the big brother Voltbike Yukon.

To support this we implemented Sanyo (by Panasonic) 48v 10.4ah Li-ion batetry with improved discharge characteristics. It comes standard with bright LCD display located in the center.

As always, our business allow us to offer it at rock bottom price.

More info at:
Voltbike Mariner

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I am very happy to introduce the newest addition to the Voltbike family.

Voltbike Mariner is folding electric fat bike with 20x4" fat tires. Not only that, it's using the same 48V system and 500w 8Fun motor as the big brother Voltbike Yukon.

To support this we implemented Sanyo (by Panasonic) 48v 10.4ah Li-ion batetry with improved discharge characteristics. It comes standard with bright LCD display located in the center.

As always, our business allow us to offer it at rock bottom price.

Bad Bike introduced this e-fat-folder bike at Euro Bike last summer. They offer this bike for all world markets in 250w and 500w.

http://www.bad-bike.it

These bikes are just Chinese ebikes branded by importers, there doesn't appear to be anything proprietary with this Voltbike other than the name Mariner which belongs to ProdecoTech. ProdecoTech does have a unique bike they design and build in the U.S., called the Mariner and have sold several models of it for years.

https://www.prodecotech.com/mariner-series/

Other ebike companies have tried to sell bikes using ProdecoTech proprietary names and have been stopped. Do you @Voltbike think selling a rebadged Chinese ebike import, using another company's model name is fair and moral business practices? This is equivalent to Kia introducing their new F-150 pickup truck.

Hi J.R., we did not invent the folding fat bike. However we did it better and affordable to the North American market.

The Italian company you refer is selling their version for 2130 Euro (~$2400) which is significant price difference than our Voltbike model.

And I don't think anybody in North America want to deal with warranty in Italy on top of hefty shipping fees and duty/taxes from Europe. (For comparison we ship $70 USD in USA and $50 in Canada)

It's unfortunate that the name Mariner is used by other companies. Like Dahon is having Dahon Mariner for example.

However I would like to open this discussion if anybody have better name for our folding fat bike. We plan our folding electric fat bike to take prime spot in our line of products.

Last edited:
I rode a folder for a while and couldn't stand it on the dirt roads, loose dirt, or rocky terrain. This is interesting, especially for the price. I'd like to see a review. I couldn't find a weight.

Given the Panasonic cells and the Bafang motor, it's hard to argue with the price. People seem to be saying that the motor in the Yukon works very well. Going to 48 volts seems to provide a real edge.

If you want another name use a variation of Yukon. Yukon Mini, Yukon Fold, something like that. There is a Yukon Trail brand. A fat folder might not be what you want on a boat, more for camping or something.

Hi J.R., we did not invent the folding fat bike. However we did it better and affordable to the North American market.

The Italian company you refer is selling their version for 2130 Euro (~$2400) which is significant price difference than our Voltbike model.

And I don't think anybody in North America want to deal with warranty in Italy on top of hefty shipping fees and duty/taxes from Europe. (For comparison we ship $70 USD in USA and $50 in Canada)

It's unfortunate that the name Mariner is used by other companies. Like Dahon is having Dahon Mariner for example.

However I would like to open this discussion if anybody have better name for our folding fat bike. We plan our folding electric fat bike to take prime spot in our line of products.

@Voltbike

I'm not suggesting this ebike is available better or less expensive by another. I was trying to make you aware that a Mariner ebike is already being marketed by another and has been for years. I'm not a keyboard warrior anywhere and my feelings are the more ebike companies the better! I do have issues when companies trade on the efforts of another. I don't believe the Dahon Mariner or Dash are electric. When someone Google's Mariner electric bike, what should they find? The ebike from a company that's worked for years on market share and reputation, or the startup that's being talked about today?

This discussion should further the public's knowledge of your company and that is even unfair business practice. Given you entered the North American ebike market, the same market as ProdecoTech and with the ease of information technology, there's really no reason to continue marketing a product with another's name.

I wish you and Voltbike success moving forward.

JR

I rode a folder for a while and couldn't stand it on the dirt roads, loose dirt, or rocky terrain. This is interesting, especially for the price. I'd like to see a review. I couldn't find a weight.

Given the Panasonic cells and the Bafang motor, it's hard to argue with the price. People seem to be saying that the motor in the Yukon works very well. Going to 48 volts seems to provide a real edge.

If you want another name use a variation of Yukon. Yukon Mini, Yukon Fold, something like that. There is a Yukon Trail brand. A fat folder might not be what you want on a boat, more for camping or something.

Thanks for your feedback. I like the name Yukon Fold, it gives some connection with our fat bike bestseller.
And yes, we designed the bike with 500w motor and 48v system so it does give that extra power you always need.

Given the lighter aluminum frame, smaller size tires and big motor, makes this machine to fly on the hills.
I have arranged Court to make review on the folding fat bike in January together with our Voltbike Urban model, for anybody interested.

2 things I find exciting about this bike are the wheels and the batteries. I have seen the fat folding bikes on Chinese websites but reports of damaged products and no help possible to replace or fix, has left me too fearful to go that route. Small wide tires should be nearly invulnerable to spoke problems. As I am obese this is really important. Samsung said they were going to be making "Si" enhanced lithium batteries in 2018. Panasonic's Sanyo batteries are available now and include a 20% higher power density because they are using Si. 2 years ahead of Korea. Faster charging and longer battery life are additional benefits Si is supposed to provide. The longer life to the battery adds true value to a particular Ebike purchase.

Faster charging and longer battery life are additional benefits Si is supposed to provide. The longer life to the battery adds true value to a particular Ebike purchase.

https://www.electricbike.com/18650-cells-for-e-bike/

This is a pretty good summary of what we have today. You can generally Google any cell and find out quite a bit about that specific cell. Understanding the chemistries and the latest patents is way above my pay grade. :)

I follow what the car companies are doing with their batteries for electric cars, as best I can. They are driving the costs down a lot. That really helps designs like a fat bikes, where the motor has to work quite a bit harder.

I'm glad Court is going to review this bike.

George S., good reference article. The Samsung 30Q seems to behave like the Voltbike advertised batteries. 20% more power density and looked up users reviewing it in comments, are reporting the lifetime of the battery is much better than others. The science articles pertaining to Si enhanced batteries showed it can have 80% more power density than normal lithium. So maybe that is what the 2018 Samsung manufacturing is about. Basically the silicone greatly reduces corrosion of the electrode, extending the life. And if you carefully manufacture the battery it can have less initial corrosion, more power density.

Last edited:
I made some mistakes on the SiO enhanced batteries. It speeds up the corrosive chemistry of the battery, making more power that way. Another area of improvement is longer lasting electrodes, by making them able to expand and contract with heating, without wear damage. Got the 2 avenues of improvement confused with one another. On the topic of great batteries this site has a company working on 7 times more powerful than Lithium batteries. http://arpa-e.energy.gov/?q=slick-sheet-project/rechargeable-lithium-air-batteries. In stead of 20 Miles total, a trip could be 70 miles both directions. Some beautiful sites available to me if I were able to make it that far.

I just want to share some nice photos which come from rider in New York. This our folding electric fat bike Voltbike which features 48v system, 500w motor 8Fun(Bafang), middle mounted LCD screen and Tektro Disc Brakes.
photo_4.jpg

I see that @Voltbike announced the Mariner 500w Limited on Dec 15th, 2015. Does that mean there is about to be a newly released 2017 model coming out? I'm trying to decide between the RadMini and the Voltbike Mariner, and certainly any improved specs could sway my decision.

Hey @ME_here, I've reviewed both of the mini fat folding bikes from VoltBike and Rad Power bikes and set them up in the compare tool for you to explore. I had a blast on both but my girlfriend liked the narrower tube on the Mariner and I liked the trigger throttle. It may come down to personal preference for you :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you decide to buy one and get to test it more thoroughly. These were fun reviews to shoot because we had both bikes side by side and could ride them over the course of days, not just hours as with most of my reviews.

What specs would you be hoping the Mariner would improve on besides motor/battery?

Still a 500w motor, 10.4ah battery, which unless you need that few extra kms for a commute or you may be 250lbs+ I don't see it leading to any disappointments.

I'm ~170lbs and it gets up to max speed in about 40'. Even less if I start it in 6th gear and help it out.

It also comes in satin/flat white (what I bought).

Mariners are currently being shipped with fenders, rear rack and red, white or black DOT approved helmet. Don't know if this will always be like this or not but the fenders are super handy and work very well.

I took my rack/rear light off for max cool factor :cool:, but it comes with them.

You can also change the power assist from 1-3, 1-5 and 0-9 (0 is like a regular bike, no assist and no throttle).

52t chainring makes it comfortable to pedal at max speed for distances. I haven't been on a Mini for comparison so that's just an observation of the Mariners gearing setup.

I get about 37km/23mi pet charge and I tend to keep it in assist level 8 or 9.
Mine isn't for commuting but if i needed to I could certainly get 45+kms per charge if I didn't want to have so much fun passing other bikers and beating nearly every car off the line. :p
I can get around my 30k population town more times per charge then ever needed.
It also gets up the 4 major hills too (at half battery), anything steeper, even though it had more than enough power for those hills, would be done using walk assist out of respect and for longevity of the bike.

Hope that addresses a concern or two.

Hey @ME_here, I've reviewed both of the mini fat folding bikes from VoltBike and Rad Power bikes and set them up in the compare tool for you to explore. I had a blast on both but my girlfriend liked the narrower tube on the Mariner and I liked the trigger throttle. It may come down to personal preference for you :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially if you decide to buy one and get to test it more thoroughly. These were fun reviews to shoot because we had both bikes side by side and could ride them over the course of days, not just hours as with most of my reviews.

Court, do you think one would be better than the other on SLOW,tight off-road trails ?

Hey @sexton Tom, I think they'd be similar... The big differences were the throttle interface, wider folding point on the RadMini, lower stand-over on the VoltBike, quieter motor on the RadMini, the paint and designs of each and the fenders on the VoltBike. I think as far as handling they are similar unless you're really short and are focused more on the experience of putting a foot down or hopping off on trails in which case the lower VoltBike might win. Hope this helps :)

Sometimes during Christmas the city buses in my town disable the bike racks in the front and put a huge reindeer nose as replacement.... ya no Fu%$#ng kidding. So folded up would I be able to take it on the bus....

Back