Volt Bike Mariner 2016: So far so happy! Observations as they happen.

No worries I think I am good with that approximation. My bike still hasn't shipped and still could change my mind if I found something comparable or even a bit better. My biggest beef is with that speed governor and that there is no way to defeat it. Not that I am a speed demon by any means but the thought of reaching a speed just a couple miles over the limiter threshold while doing a downhill section of a trail seems odd and discerning having the motor toggle on and off and could cause way more harm than good. I wish Volt made the the Mariner with the 20 mph limiter on but have an option for a bike tech (making it more difficult) or an advanced more knowledgeable e-biker to be able to disengaging it , thus release all responsibility to the manufacturer. This seems like the number one concern or complaint among many Mariner owners regarding their Mariner.

It is my understanding that you will find the govna is on most bikes (type 1 or 2) and will cut out at 20 mph speed in place by government (unless specified as a speed pedillac). It would be nice that it would peak at that and not be a hard cut off but I think this might get in the way of the legal restrictions. I would much rather have full power to 20 mph than a lower peak so that it won't go faster than 20mph.

If it is as I understand it, a legal restriction, then it would not really be in the control of the dealer. They must have that in place in order to sell that bikes as a bike, otherwise you would need a licence and insurance to purchase like a car. If you are needing a push from the motor going downhill faster than 20 mph I would be surprised.. Sometimes yes, but not always.. Perhaps if you had lots of rolling hill terrain? There are lots of ways to work around this so you aren't stuttering downhill IE gear down:D. Usually gravity takes me beyond that quite easily. I believe a snip of a wire would defeat the govna but also void your warranty. Sounds like a pretty easy fix if this is what you require. Not really sure what would happen then.. ie. if the motor would be more prone to overheating etc.. etc.. All good questions for @Voltbike though :)

Last edited:
And why not some more photos of the Mariner folded up.. hehehe :D

Attachments

• FoldedEBike1.JPG
    FoldedEBike1.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 668
  • FoldedEbike2.JPG
    FoldedEbike2.JPG
    490.6 KB · Views: 527
  • FoldedEBike3.JPG
    FoldedEBike3.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 589
  • FoldedEBike4.JPG
    FoldedEBike4.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 588
  • FoldedEBike5.JPG
    FoldedEBike5.JPG
    480.2 KB · Views: 587
  • FoldedEBike6.JPG
    FoldedEBike6.JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 636
  • FoldedEBike7.JPG
    FoldedEBike7.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 646
I have rolled it on one (front) wheel but I have not tried both wheels together with the handlebars up. Will try two wheels soon. I have not picked up or used a velcro strap to keep the bike in it's folded position as of yet.

In case anyone hasnt seen it, a newly released video (Nov1) on the new Mariner limited edition. Great review and great vid! Im psyched, my Mariner is shipping out on Monday, after seeing the reveiw i am soooooo glad I didnt change my mind while waiting on the pre-order process. Here's the Mariner video!

Just of note. I am nearing 1000 mile mark on my bike and have just recently noticed a bit of loss in battery power over the last 2 days. Usually I can easily cover to and from work ~35km's (22 mi) in some pretty hilly terrain in a single charge with 1 or 2 bars of battery left. I am currently just squeaking back to the door now with the battery indicator flashing. I have just briefly done a quick look over my bike to see if the tire pressure or brakes could be causing a power drain but nothing seems to be popping at the moment. The last week or so has been 2 bike rides a week in heavier rains.. I can't imagine 5-10lbs of extra rain gear slowing me down enough to cause the battery drain, though I could imagine water from rain, or less frequent use possibly having an effect? I don't believe the temp has dropped enough to factor in yet? Any other thoughts? Maybe my bike doesn't like dark morning rides in rain? :p Has anyone else (@zap016VOLTAGE) experienced this? I'm holding out judgement and trying to narrow down the possibilities first. I was expecting at some point to see some battery loss but I was hoping... for a bit more time.o_O

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
I'm not certain as to the issue you're experiencing.:confused:
Perhaps you can ask @Voltbike (George).
I could be wrong but just from your description, it sounds like an early indication that your bike's batteries are starting to degrade.:(
As they are discharging faster, and may not be holding their charge as long, than when they were new.
However, around 20 miles or so is about what an ebike having an 48V 10Ah battery will achieve (20Ah battery option;)).

Couple of things you may want to check:
• Maintain proper tyre inflation pressure? If use the bike on road, try inflating its tyres to their maximum recommended psi. Under inflated tyres are a big drag on performance.
• Long uphill climbs. Will overheat the motor and quickly drain its battery.
• Using throttle only. Pedaling reduces the drain on the battery.
• "True" its wheels and brakes rotors.
• Climate. Hot weather is no good for batteries.

@Cnugget please keep everyone updated about this.:)

Inside the monitor settings(double click Power Button to reach) of the Mariner(and Yukon for that matter) are some symbols I have not been able to un-code. Anyone able to help?
It's an APT 800S of some kind. It appears to have more functions than the 2013 manual suggests.. I can't find a few of the codes and what they mean. Here is what I've got so far:

S7 - (km/mi)
bL1 - backlight brightness display
OFf - auto time(min) display off
W d - wheel diameter (set to 22)
bU0 - voltage set (42V)
PSd - password (enter 1919)
SPL - speed limit (45km) - gov cuts off before 32km
CUL - MAX Current Limit set (default 15A)
HAL - Magnetic Pole numbers of speed sensor (set to 1. Not sure what impact this would have if adjusted)
ASs - ?
Hd6 - ?
HdP - ?
PAs - levels of assist(set to 0-9 not the default setting)

Before I go off and clicking, does someone happen to understand this computer/programming speak? :rolleyes:
Were you able to decipher more of the codes, and did you make any changes to the default settings?

@SuperGoop
The codes I have adjusted included: SPL, Wd, OFf, bL1, PAs (set to 0-9 instead of default 1-9).
I was not able to uncode the others still or play with for fear of hurting something (IE. Can't imagine adjusting the voltage would be a good idea.) I did send an email to @Voltbike but I did not get a response in regards to the codes. The manual that is online did not have all of the features included.

Here's what appears to be an updated manual with a bit more info. Unfortunately it appears the max speed is set by the controller (housed within the battery?)

I have previewed this manual before looking for code definitions. This manual does look like an update but does not show the same layout or some of the codes (but many other options that could be fun to have) in the Mariner display. The missing codes that I have yet to sort through are these ASs - ?, Hd6 - ?, HdP - ?. The prior post does show the order progression inside the settings menu you should find on your bike once you get it. Perhaps there are a few codes that are the same in function but have somehow had a change in abbreviation? I would assume the max speed is set by the controller & housed in the box below the battery.
ControlerBox.JPG

Last edited:
@zap016VOLTAGE I was just wondering when you started to notice your battery start to degrade on the Mariner if you happened to recall? I was trying to establish if this is expected at my mileage or unusual.

The usual suspects haven't turned up a smoking gun yet:
Tire pressure is 20 - 25 on factory tires (plenty almost too hard for the road). Harder than I'd like really if you use a fatter tire for cushion.
Temps have dropped but not excessively. No weather related heat issues going on here. Consistent temps but lots of rain. Maybe things getting wet have caused a conduction temp loss?
I think the wheels and brakes are okay or, at least no worse than they have been.. Something I could looking into more.

I may be having a change of heart on the whole (20Ah battery option;)). I just assumed the 10Ah battery would last longer... but that concept may be flushing down the toilet as we speak.

I did go out for a test run against my bow's bike and it does appear I have some battery loss... but the WHY part is still unclear. I've mentioned before that my lights don't always go on or stay on so there could be a minor "short" or draw occurring that could be causing the battery loss... Maybe?? The test run we did wasn't a good side by side so I will be trying a few different things just to see if I can isolate if it's the battery or something else on the bike.

As a side note: While doing this side by side test run, my bike hiccuped.. as in stopped and then started up and just kept going like it never happened. It was up a mountain side soo.. maybe it got a little hot or is feeling a little sick with all the rain around.:D I have done this test run before many a time with no major issue but I could see it being a taxing ride. Poor bikey. :oops:

@zap016VOLTAGE I was just wondering when you started to notice your battery start to degrade on the Mariner if you happened to recall? I was trying to establish if this is expected at my mileage or unusual.

The usual suspects haven't turned up a smoking gun yet:
Tire pressure is 20 - 25 on factory tires (plenty almost too hard for the road). Harder than I'd like really if you use a fatter tire for cushion.
Temps have dropped but not excessively. No weather related heat issues going on here. Consistent temps but lots of rain. Maybe things getting wet have caused a conduction temp loss?
I think the wheels and brakes are okay or, at least no worse than they have been.. Something I could looking into more.

I may be having a change of heart on the whole (20Ah battery option;)). I just assumed the 10Ah battery would last longer... but that concept may be flushing down the toilet as we speak.

I did go out for a test run against my bow's bike and it does appear I have some battery loss... but the WHY part is still unclear. I've mentioned before that my lights don't always go on or stay on so there could be a minor "short" or draw occurring that could be causing the battery loss... Maybe?? The test run we did wasn't a good side by side so I will be trying a few different things just to see if I can isolate if it's the battery or something else on the bike.

As a side note: While doing this side by side test run, my bike hiccuped.. as in stopped and then started up and just kept going like it never happened. It was up a mountain side soo.. maybe it got a little hot or is feeling a little sick with all the rain around.:D I have done this test run before many a time with no major issue but I could see it being a taxing ride. Poor bikey. :oops:

Couple of thingys:
• Your battery may be degrading prematurely as mine is - knock wood:rolleyes: - having no issues. I would reach out to @Voltbike for an explanation.
• The motor controller is stored under the battery on the Mariner's and on bikes having similar frame designs.
• My understanding is that the bike's motor controller would have to be hacked to increase the bike's speed beyond 33kph/20mph.:eek:
• If you Google it, a number possible hacks will turn up.
• The other solution would be to replace the Mariner's controller with one that will allow you to set the bike's maximum speed through 8fun's C965A LCD display settings.

I wish that LunaCycles or would offer 52V 20Ah Silverfish style battery.:D

@zap016VOLTAGE
• Your battery may be degrading prematurely as mine is - knock wood:rolleyes: - having no issues. I would reach out to @Voltbike for an explanation.
Wookie Moan for me.

I wish that LunaCycles or would offer 52V 20Ah Silverfish style battery.:D
Yes interesting...

I currently have low interest in going faster than the bike allows but I guess always nice to keep in mind.:p I would just like to understand the remaining settings. They remain a mystery.:confused:

@Roflo I took some photo's today of the min(34") & max(39") seat height in inches for ya. I've also included the seat post height(5" of adjustability) & suspension (2.5") as well as the step thru height (24" or 2 feet) at it's lowest point. Hope this helps. I would imagine you could get an alternate seat post that would allow you to drop the seat the 2.5" the suspension takes up if your looking to go lower.

Attachments

• SeatPostHeight.JPG
    SeatPostHeight.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 451
  • SeatPostSize.JPG
    SeatPostSize.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 454
  • SeatPostSuspension.JPG
    SeatPostSuspension.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 465
  • SeatHeightMIN.JPG
    SeatHeightMIN.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 452
  • SeatHeightMAX.JPG
    SeatHeightMAX.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 468
Thanks Cnugget for taking time to do the pics and vid. Looks like I should be fine, being a shorter man, seat height has always been an issue for myself. That is one of the reasons for picking a 20" wheel size. Most 26" bike are just to much for me to handle comfortably. George at Volt said my Mariner would be shipped today but so far no word on shipment. On a separate note , I also wish there was a longer lasting battery option , like a silverfish style Samsung 48 Volt/ 20 AH battery and also a way to work around the governor speed limiter! Come on Volt, make us happy and give us some more choices. I would definitely pay more for a better longer lasting battery option. And the speed limiter thang.....dont get me started........come on hackers .....start hacking!

Back