Chris Nolte

We had the pleasure of visiting Gazelle in Dieren in the Netherlands for an early preview of their 2020 bikes. We reviewed the Ultimate t10 which is a totally new low step bike for Gazelle. It's a sporty bike with the comfort you would expect on a Gazelle. I really enjoyed this bike and I think it's going to be a very popular bike.

It has a new Gen 3 Bosch Performance Line motor, 500Wh Powertube battery, disc brakes and a Shimano XT derailleur. It's a well spec'd bike with a nice low step approachable frame.

Click the link for more about the Gazelle Ultimate t10

Thanks Chris,
That's a nice looking ebike. I like the comfortable step thru frame and the rear wheel lock.
Did Gazelle provide a weight of the bike?

Looks like a really nice ride, but I am disappointed that Gazelle is using the Purion instead of the Intuvia or Kiox.

Looks like a really nice ride, but I am disappointed that Gazelle is using the Purion instead of the Intuvia or Kiox.
Fortunately, you can upgrade to the Intuvia and soon the Smartphone hub if you'd like. Gazelle had some trouble with the Intuvia on their older models due to the shape of their bars so I think they are trying to avoid that again. It also keeps the price down a bit more.

Excellent review . Looks like this model will be your shops number one best seller for 2020 .
I do think this bike will be pretty popular. It's a really nice bike.

Chris, how is that front fork "monoshock"? Can you feel it smoothing out bumps? Doesn't look like it has much travel, but I don't think much is needed for city riding.

Chris, how is that front fork "monoshock"? Can you feel it smoothing out bumps? Doesn't look like it has much travel, but I don't think much is needed for city riding.
I think it performs well. Probably not great for off-roading or really rough roads, but it smooths out most bumps really well. It's a bit beefier than their previous version.

I just got this bike; previous ride Arroyo is now for my wife.
I did find that the factory front shock preload was minimal and the shock was bottoming with just my weight.
Postmoderne manual helped me remove wheel, undo fender bolt under shock, move the fender out of the way. Then a 4mm up through a hole in the bottom; added in 2 trys maybe 5-10 full turns?? Now it has improved my wrist pain that I had from running the bottomed out setting on all the bumps.

Awesome bike and eMTB mode is a superpower; all I have to do is remember to downshift before stopping that I did not need to worry about on the Arroyo.

I just bought this Ultimate T10 in red and I am in love! What luggage bag with expandable panniers would you recommend for this ebike? I am thinking it has the MIK locking rack on it, and I am considering the Topeak, but interested in your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

I had trouble fitting pannier bags on my Arroyo due to the custom rack. I ended up with Ortlieb bike packer classic and they are awesome. I have looked at rack fitting and the volume that you can fit in a single pannier is better and the weight is lower even if I load it up with cans and only have the weight on one side of the bike, it is not noticeable. I use a single pannier as a bike purse and keep tools, hi-vis vest, plastic bag to cover the seat when parking in the rain and water bottle if I take one. Some short bungees can be carried to strap larger items or gym bags to the top of the rack. I now use one on the Ultimate and my wife uses the other on the Arroyo. I can borrow it if I am doing a Costco mission to fit in the larger stuff with 24 eggs on top!

You probably would be happy with any of the Ortlieb bags. The red and black ones look nice on the bike; I had a hipster dude say "Rad bike" when I was unlocking while finished at the market.

My wife was convinced that she wanted a basket or rack top solution for the Arroyo and now is totally happy with a single pannier once she tried it.

I added a Shockstop suspension seatpost (which is an expensive luxury upgrade) but the road potholes are really bad in Canada vs. the Netherlands bike paths where they don't have frost heaving.

The Ortlieb bags are well built and worth the price. Here is a pic from the last Costco run. The 24 flat of eggs is at the top of the right bag in the pic. I don't know if you can do this with the roll-top models??
IMG_6554.jpeg

wow! That's impressive with the eggs, lol! Do you have to secure the side panniers to the rear frame near the wheels, and do your feet hit those bags when you pedal? I am thinking more of a trunk style with expandable panniers only if needed.

Ortlieb has an adjustable plastic hook that slides to the inside of one of the rack frame supports. See pic. Also a shot of a single pannier in non-stuffed mode. The bag taper keeps it well back of the pedals; never an issue.
IMG_6596.jpeg
IMG_6597.jpeg

As well as the Topeak MTX, another MIK compatible trunk bag with fold down panniers is this Trek trunk bag which is larger and has a carry strap and a rain cover that tucks away in a pocket like on my Arkel Tailrider, but the owners reviews are useful as someone pointed out the panniers are thin nylon with no structure so not really suitable for grocery shopping. On my commute to work I use a trunkbag plus one folding pannier that Trek no longer make but is very similar to this one from Banjo Bros, takes 1 grocery bag.

Last edited:
Seems that most of these items are sold out, and in high demand. I just took the plunge and ordered one of the last available Topeak MTX bags, so we will see if that is going to fit this Gazelle rack. The closest bike shop to me is sold out of the Trek/Bontrager bags but the Banjo Bros. bag looks very interesting! thanks for the info, I'll circle bag with a picture hopefully soon of my bike with the bag installed.

Back