Vibration at 16 mph

eDean

Hi,

My 2015 FS RX has a vibration at around 16 mph when pedaled. It is just at that speed. I am wondering if others have experienced anything like that. It appears to happen if there assist or not. I has something similar early on around 13 mph and the LBS said some of the mounting bolts were loose. The vibration moved to 16 mph when the bike came back from the shop. I checked and they locked tightened the bolts so that is not the issue.

It works fine but the vibration is noticeable and a bit annoying.

Last edited:
Mine seems to have a "buzz feeling", (not sure how to describe it) from the drivetrain up around 19 miles an hour as the assist gets ready to cut out... I assume this is not the same thing?

Edit: Assist or not, I just reread your post and noticed that. Obviously not the same thing, sorry. It does sound like some kind of harmonic imbalance or something like that.

After paying close attention, I definitely feel a slight buzz/vibration pedaling uphill or level nearing max speed, but I don't know where it comes from. I've been feeling it ever since I got the bike, so I just assumed that it is something normal...

On my bike it happens at 19.5 mph...but the motor is off...it cuts out at 16mph or thereabouts. The vibrations comes up from the pedal on my right side...I think.

Similar, but I didn't notice a side (I read this post after a ride lol, so I'll pay more attention for that next time). I did do a long ride today and after looking for it closely, the only time I felt anything was when the motor started to fade out at the 19+ mph "cut-out speed".

@eDean did you discover what is causing it?

@stevenast, I have had a vibration since the bike was new. It occurs at 16 mph on the dime goes away and comes back around 18 mph. To have it addressed the motor will need to be sent to Bosch given the LBS here was not able to do anything. I live in MD and the season is so short that I don't want to lose any of it to repairs so I'll wait until late fall and utilize the two years of warranty. It is a bit annoying but far from a show stopper. I feel the buzz in the handle bars and the cranks.

I am also experiencing this on my Felt Sport E with about 100miles on the bike, especially in the 4th ot 5th gear around 13mph. It is definitely a fuzzy feeling, might take it back to the LBS to service, but I am going to try lubing it to see if helps.

The vibration issue seems to have gone away on my FSRX??? Ambient temperature, tire wear, or motor break in - don't know. I'm at 1200 miles or so. FSRX has been great, cannot recommend this bike enough. This bike can go anywhere and is tough as nails. It's extremely stable at high speeds as well.

Hi,

My 2015 FS RX has a vibration at around 16 mph when pedaled. It is just at that speed. I am wondering if others have experienced anything like that. It appears to happen if there assist or not. I has something similar early on around 13 mph and the LBS said some of the mounting bolts were loose. The vibration moved to 16 mph when the bike came back from the shop. I checked and they locked tightened the bolts so that is not the issue.

It works fine but the vibration is noticeable and a bit annoying.

My Haibike trekking bike does the same, an intermittent vibration at a certain speed. I also hear the chain rattle as if it were rubbing of the motor casing but there is no sign of that at all. I'm afraid it's back to the dealer with it to try and sort it out. part from that it's a great bike.

Hi, the vibration has stopped on the fs rx. I started cleaning the chain every few weeks and taking the goo off the sprockets, it builds up really fast. I think that this might have been the cause.

Hi, i have the vibration/buzz come in at about 40kph i know this is faster than most however the Cube cross pro is only 6 months old. My chain is a bit dry so ive lubed it and eill see how it goes on next ride.

Having the same situation, for me, most part of the noise comes from the disk brake at 23kph. I think it's a resonance issue. The natural resonance frequency of the frame and the disk brake comes to a point where they are amplified and makes frame vibrate/sounds. Don't think it's a motor issue, you would have this on a regular mtb as well. You can try to add weight to the frame or the disk and it could change at which kph vibration comes back. I'm having this issue only on tarmac, so no big deal for me. Having nobby nic tires probably doesn't help with vibration on tarmac.

I took my xduro cross 4 out for its first ride today. 25 miles. Rides well, but I too noticed a harmonic vibration between 16 and 18 mph. The vibration does not occur when coasting - only when pedeling I assumed this was normal, but then I took my wife's brand new xduro cross 3 out for it's first ride and there was no vibration at any speed. That said, both bikes start to bog down as they near 20 mph, but the vibration on my bike is different.

Comments on this thread seem to validate what I'm feeling, but it seems as if the vibration goes away with some combination of time, lube and or possibly tightening of the mounting bracket. No one has actually discovered a problem with the motor.

Am I wrong? Has anyone discovered something different? I plan to give it some time. If it remains a problem I may try my LBS in northern VA.

Unfortunately bringing the bike to where I purchased it is not a viable option due to distance. I would welcome any advice.

I've kept riding even with the buzz persisting and it hasn't got any worse or better. I'm at 1700kms and very happy so far.

My vibration issues are resolved now that I changed both Schwalbe Nobby Nic to a rear Fast Track and a front Racing Ralph tire. It was clearly the front Nobby Nic in contact with tarmac at 23km/hr that was causing the front disk brake to vibrate.

Good to hear. My bike is in the shop now. They believe the problem is related to an issue with the damping foil that sits between the fame and motor. Apparently the foil is not always installed. I’m hoping that cures the problem. I’ll update the thread as appropriate.

Good to hear. My bike is in the shop now. They believe the problem is related to an issue with the damping foil that sits between the fame and motor. Apparently the foil is not always installed. I’m hoping that cures the problem. I’ll update the thread as appropriate.

did it work? I'm planning to do the same thing myself. I've heard that mounting plate revised after 2014 and new one come with damping foils which some manufacturers too lazy to install.

If anyone's interested, I found the kit here:

https://www.elektrofahrrad24.de/bosch-servicekit-montageplatte

Back