Vado SL grips for max. Hand positions

Calcoaster

Region
USA
Those of you who ride both drop and flat bar road bikes for 20+ mile rides, what flat bar grips do you find give you multiple hand positions? Even though I rarely use the drops on my road bike, I move my hands between three positions which saves them from aches and pains. Im hoping to find similar options with a flat bar.

I see the ergon grips mentioned often and wonder how often you use the horns and if that helps relieve your wrists.

Which ergon (2,3,4,5) is best, and how much do they help? Any other grips or options that work for you?

@Calcoaster: Here is my honest opinion.
  • Vado SL is a "delicate" e-bike. I have chosen Ergon GP2 for that e-bike with full awareness. These grips serve their purpose excellently, and fit the fine e-bike with their looks (you wouldn't like to put any "big" stuff on that e-bike)
  • I have used GP3 for "big" Vado 5.0 as well as for Trance E+ (the latter has been mostly used in XC e-bike role). These bigger grips give you comfort on long and fast rides and look right on a full power e-bike
  • My large touring/commuting e-bike got the GP5. From long perspective, I found these grips too excessive.
Multiple hand positions on GP3

Hope that helps.

GP4 for me on my TV SL5. My riding style is not very sedentary, I tend to stand on the pedals (clipped in) when climbing or needing a burst of speed - so something big enough to get a firm grip on is important.
Combination of FutureShock and the Ergon's also means no more numbness in my hands compared to my old (analog) bike. For the super observant, you will see I have also shortened the bars.

IMG_20210707_164622.jpg

GP4 for me on my TV SL5. My riding style is not very sedentary, I tend to stand on the pedals (clipped in) when climbing or needing a burst of speed - so something big enough to get a firm grip on is important.
Combination of FutureShock and the Ergon's also means no more numbness in my hands compared to my old (analog) bike. For the super observant, you will see I have also shortened the bars.

View attachment 92903
Your interesting opinion only proves we are all not made equal, and it is so good different solutions are available to satisfy so different needs! For one, I love standing on platform spiked pedals while coasting (especially on corners or in harsh terrain or downhill; MTB style), and GP2 are sufficient for that. Your description of hard climbing was the application I've never thought of!

I use GP3's and I find them invaluable for longer distance riding, and like already alluded too, they really help in climbing, allowing a much more natural position for your hand to "pull" the bars - which enables you to get more power through your legs/drivechain...

Thanks for the endorsements and opinions. Stefan - i followed your link to the long discussion and it was very helpful. Your photos of the various hand positions tell me what I want to know. Thanks!

Ergon GP3 are also available in brown cork. Are they as durable as the regular GP3 ? How about water-resistency? Thanks!

SQ Labs “Innerbarends” have some advantages vs. traditional outer bar ends depending on the rider.

Ergon GP3 are also available in brown cork. Are they as durable as the regular GP3 ? How about water-resistency? Thanks!
Love my cork Ergons. Been using them for years on my Stromer ST2 and Trek MTB. Durable and good looking. It isn’t raw cork. It is sealed, plasticized. I don’t ride in the rain, but I do sweat. Same grips since 2016 on the Stromers. Probably longer on the Trek, which is permanently mounted for Zwifting. Great grips.

Love my cork Ergons. Been using them for years on my Stromer ST2 and Trek MTB. Durable and good looking. It isn’t raw cork. It is sealed, plasticized. I don’t ride in the rain, but I do sweat. Same grips since 2016 on the Stromers. Probably longer on the Trek, which is permanently mounted for Zwifting. Great grips.
Great - exactely what I have hoped to hear. Cork Ergons will be added to my shopping list :)

The clamps are part of the grips for Ergon or SQ Labs same as the stock grips.
If I'm correct, the GRIPS are merely the "rubber" covering for the far end of the handlebar but provide a larger surface instead of the simple rubber covering supplied with the stock bike. They do not include extensions at the end to provide a 90 degree turn and additional grip surface (bull horns or whatever they are called).

If I'm correct, the GRIPS are merely the "rubber" covering for the far end of the handlebar but provide a larger surface instead of the simple rubber covering supplied with the stock bike. They do not include extensions at the end to provide a 90 degree turn and additional grip surface (bull horns or whatever they are called).
Yes, you’re right - the GP1 is just the grip itself, GP2, 3, 4, 5 is the grip with a different length bar end (horn). All include the clamp as part of the grip. I asked Ergon if I could buy a GP3 (their most common grip with ‘3 finger’ length horn), and then buy the horns alone if I decided on another size. They said no, as it would not be cost effective. They must have meant not cost effective for them, not me.

Yes, you’re right - the GP1 is just the grip itself, GP2, 3, 4, 5 is the grip with a different length bar end (horn). All include the clamp as part of the grip. I asked Ergon if I could buy a GP3 (their most common grip with ‘3 finger’ length horn), and then buy the horns alone if I decided on another size. They said no, as it would not be cost effective. They must have meant not cost effective for them, not me.
They simply sell no separate horns. It is not strange to me at all.
(It would be like selling separate shoe tongues).

They simply sell no separate horns. It is not strange to me at all.
(It would be like selling separate shoe tongues).
Not exactly. The tongue in most (all) cases is permanently attached to the shoe. But I can see where someone might want the END in different length or find their current length is wrong and only wants to purchase the bar end thingie in a different size/length.

I see their choices and all seem to have the bar end piece attached unless it is manufactured as one piece and permanently secured. So if I purchased the GP1 and decided I wanted an end a month later, why not sell the bar end for GP3 or 4 or 2? Is not the bar end detachable? Oh, I can understand their desire to simply sales and purchases.

Bar ends have generally fallen out of favor with MTBs as they've gone to wider bars so there is as not much demand for separate bar ends. Link is for a 2016 article.

You can still find separate bar ends go with the GP1's, just not from Ergon.

I have the SQlab 710S grips on my Vado SL and the Ergon GP3 grips on my Turbo S. The 710S have better palm support and I kind of miss the GP3 bar ends but I've ordered the SQlab Innerbarends that keep your hands closer to the brake levers.

I tried the horns and didn't feel enamored with them. I use the stock spesh grips that came on both the vado and como, leave them a little loose so i can rotate them to whatever position I prefer or if the hands get tired I can rotate them to a different position. So far don't have a need for anything else.

Back