Vado SL for Towing Kids?

ColeWorld

Region
USA
I am looking to get my first ebike after riding some through my city's bike share. I am leaning toward the Vado SL but would appreciate some help thinking it through. Here are my main considerations:
  • Planned use: 3 mile daily ride to drop my kid off at day care, running errands around town, occasional longer recreational rides
  • Need to be able to tow my kid, and potentially 2 kids in the future. Thinking about getting the Thule Chariot
  • I am in good shape but not an avid cyclist. I am fine getting a bit of a workout while riding but don't want to be completely winded
  • Would like a lighter ebike so I can easily lift into the back of my SUV
  • I will mostly be riding fairly slow but think Class 3 is a plus for when I need to ride in traffic
  • Long range is not very important
  • I will need to ride in Midwest winter weather, including light snow
The Vado SL seems to be the only light ebike that can do the above. My biggest question is whether it will give me enough of a boost to help me tow kids, but obviously I will be going slow, so this might be fine.

Appreciate any thoughts on whether the Vado SL seems like a reasonable choice or if there are other bikes I should be considering. Thank you!

It’ll do the job just fine. I used to tow both my kids in their Burley with a 250w hub drive bike. It took the edge off but it was a heck of a workout. The middrive on the Vado SL has much more useable torque since it can leverage the rear gearing.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work without the proper axle. I couldn’t find a thru axle on Robert Axle without going custom but Burley had one at a lower price so I went for that.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work without the proper axle. I couldn’t find a thru axle on Robert Axle without going custom but Burley had one at a lower price so I went for that.
Really if you want to tow, and you like the Vado, why not get the full power Vado ? The super lights are fine for someone who doesn't need much of a boost, but not a particularly good choice for heavy loads, steep hills, or long distances into the wind.

Member @Stefan Mikes rides both and has reviewed both here.

Really if you want to tow, and you like the Vado, why not get the full power Vado ? The super lights are fine for someone who doesn't need much of a boost, but not a particularly good choice for heavy loads, steep hills, or long distances into the wind.

Member @Stefan Mikes rides both and has reviewed both here.
That's the main internal debate I've been having. When I'm towing kids, I won't be trying to go fast but would like some help getting going. I live in a flat area. Given that, I'm not sure if the reduced power of the SL would be okay. The main advantages I see for the SL are:
  • Ability to easily lift into the back of my SUV (realistically this will probably only be a couple times a month)
  • The regular Vado isn't available right now but the SL EQ is
I'm reading through the long SL thread that Stefan started now.

That's the main internal debate I've been having. When I'm towing kids, I won't be trying to go fast but would like some help getting going. I live in a flat area. Given that, I'm not sure if the reduced power of the SL would be okay. The main advantages I see for the SL are:
  • Ability to easily lift into the back of my SUV (realistically this will probably only be a couple times a month)
  • The regular Vado isn't available right now but the SL EQ is
I'm reading through the long SL thread that Stefan started now.
Even a full power Vado isn't a particularly heavy ebike, about 50 to 55 lbs IIRC; and I can lift my 50 lb Como3 easily enough with two hands up about four foot into the back of my van ... so far anyway, and I am not a young man.

My Como is the lower power version and still is more powerful than the SL versions. I climb some nasty hills (with some serious effort) , but I don't think I could haul a loaded trailer. YMMV.

I believe the difference in power is well worth the weight penalty for anything beyond casual cycling, but I stress that I haven't ridden either model as @Stefan Mikes and others here have.

Availability is a whole different can of worms, but I would rather wait than buy a bike that just isn't up to the task I need it for.

I all the honesty: I would not use an SL e-bike for towing unless the rider were particularly fit. I perceive Vado SL as an excellent fitness e-bike but not a power-horse. For instance, I was today on a 50 mi ride, half of which was against a mighty headwind: I even didn't try to ride my Vado SL but chose the full power Vado for the ride.

towing kids is a very different use case than riding uphill or into the wind; in both of those cases the additional load is constant, and in the former, it’s magnified by weight.

towing kids on flat ground at moderate speeds is not that strenuous except for the getting up to speed part. if you have lots of starts and stops, a bike with more power and a throttle would be appreciated.

since you describe yourself as relatively fit with a short, flat commute, i’d say it’ll work, but the weight savings of the SL bikes probably aren’t worth it unless you also plan to ride it without the trailer for fun and exercise.

the right tires will be critical for traction in midwest weather.

Good input, thanks all. Sounds like the SL would probably be doable, but a more powerful ebike might be a safer bet. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any way to get a regular Vado right now. There is a bike shop near me that has the Trek Allant+ in stock - I will look into that more.

Good input, thanks all. Sounds like the SL would probably be doable, but a more powerful ebike might be a safer bet. Unfortunately I'm not seeing any way to get a regular Vado right now. There is a bike shop near me that has the Trek Allant+ in stock - I will look into that more.
Check Specialized website`s ship to your store option for regular Vados models, either a 4 or 5. It's a possible option, anyway.

towing kids is a very different use case than riding uphill or into the wind; in both of those cases the additional load is constant, and in the former, it’s magnified by weight.

towing kids on flat ground at moderate speeds is not that strenuous except for the getting up to speed part. if you have lots of starts and stops, a bike with more power and a throttle would be appreciated.

since you describe yourself as relatively fit with a short, flat commute, i’d say it’ll work, but the weight savings of the SL bikes probably aren’t worth it unless you also plan to ride it without the trailer for fun and exercise.

the right tires will be critical for traction in midwest weather.
towing is easy without power. you just go slower. I used to two 200 pounds on a trailer on my recumbent 3 miles. did about 300 pounds 10 miles once. kids are easy.

towing is easy without power. you just go slower. I used to two 200 pounds on a trailer on my recumbent 3 miles. did about 300 pounds 10 miles once. kids are easy.

like i said ... on FLAT ground! try towing 120 pounds of kids and 30 extra pounds of bike up a 10% grade :eek:

i make my bigger one power herself now :D

like i said ... on FLAT ground! try towing 120 pounds of kids and 30 extra pounds of bike up a 10% grade :eek:

i make my bigger one power herself now :D
I camped by this family in Texas. They started pedaling in Portland. No motors, no support car, 2 adults, a 10 year old, and a toddler in the trailer... not for me, but some people can do that.

They seemed like nice young folks, but I hate them anyway. 😄

Attachments

• 20220107_092003.jpg
    20220107_092003.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 278
Back