Vado SL: EQ or Not

Hopefully, everyone angles their lights down at the ground. I pass so many riders with their lights shining straight into my face these days, it’s nuts. Bright LED lights literally cause me to see spots.

I just grabbed a 4.0 SL EQ. There wasn't much of a decision, in that this was the only one I could find in a M unless I wanted the non-SL. However, if I had a choice, I probably would have opted for the EQ. I was coming off of a 30 year old Cannondale Delta V 500, so this was completely new territory for me, and I felt I wanted all the bells and whistles for longer riding. I think the rack is going to be very useful for doing some extended distances without a backpack on, and just having the lights available out of the gate is great. I've never used lights before, and it provides some nice peace of mind on the safety end as I have to ride on a lot of short shoulders in my area. Early on the fenders are actually more of an annoyance for loading it into my car with the front wheel off, but once I get riding through some moistness I'll probably appreciate them more.
Probably depends on your weather. It rains almost daily here so fenders and lights are a must. I don't use the rack b/c I have a big frame bag on the diamond frame.

I just grabbed a 4.0 SL EQ. There wasn't much of a decision, in that this was the only one I could find in a M unless I wanted the non-SL. However, if I had a choice, I probably would have opted for the EQ. I was coming off of a 30 year old Cannondale Delta V 500, so this was completely new territory for me, and I felt I wanted all the bells and whistles for longer riding. I think the rack is going to be very useful for doing some extended distances without a backpack on, and just having the lights available out of the gate is great. I've never used lights before, and it provides some nice peace of mind on the safety end as I have to ride on a lot of short shoulders in my area. Early on the fenders are actually more of an annoyance for loading it into my car with the front wheel off, but once I get riding through some moistness I'll probably appreciate them more.
You can always equip your non-EQ with removable MTB "blade/ass saver" fenders (good for riding forest or gravel, for instance), and suitable racks do exist. No worries. What colour?

When I bought my unequipped SL in June 2020 the first thing I did was remove the saddle. Of course this meant snipping the wires on the taillight and storing them in the seat post. As you can see I bought a new saddle and the Kinect suspension seat post. Probably the single best change I made. It improved the ride dramatically. I also wanted to tweak the handlebars by shortening them and moving them up and closer to me. I did this with an adjustable stem. But this meant snipping more wires and removing the headlight. Lastly I added a compatible rack and a Banjo Brothers bag. And I also bought a TCD for $90. All and all I’m very satisfied with the bike and looking forward to some warmer weather here in Wisconsin.
Greetings. I have the Vado SL 4.0, and want to swap out the seat, and add my Topeak Dynapack rack, so removing the rear lights is very necessary. Can you share how you stored the wiring for the lights after "snipping them?" I would greatly appreciate it. I love the SL 4.0.....but the built in rear lights on the seat itself was a bad engineering move in my opinion. Thanks.

I put a Brooks Saddle on my Como and kept the light by cable-tying it to the saddle bag hangers on the saddle. I know that doesn’t help you with removing your saddle but perhaps helps with idea about how to repurpose the light.

Thanks.....that does help. Much appreciated. Will be adding a Topeak Dynapack bag and a Velmia seat. All the best.....

Greetings. I have the Vado SL 4.0, and want to swap out the seat, and add my Topeak Dynapack rack, so removing the rear lights is very necessary. Can you share how you stored the wiring for the lights after "snipping them?" I would greatly appreciate it. I love the SL 4.0.....but the built in rear lights on the seat itself was a bad engineering move in my opinion. Thanks.
I love the front and rear light mounts on my Vado SL. Strongly disagree it's poor engineering.

Maybe the wrong wording. With the rear lights integrated into the seat, it obviously makes it a challenge to replace the seat and or seat post, due to the wiring. The front light are awesome and very useful in traffic. Thanks.

Maybe the wrong wording. With the rear lights integrated into the seat, it obviously makes it a challenge to replace the seat and or seat post, due to the wiring. The front light are awesome and very useful in traffic. Thanks.
The light comes off the seat with two screws. The holes for those screws are what I used, with cable ties, to secure the light to my Brooks saddle. It was much easier than I expected.

Back