Vado SL 5.0 kick stand

VadoSL5Rider

Region
USA
City
Higgins Lake
I bought a Vado SL 5.0 un-equipped in late February. Awesome bike, works well for me. I ordered a kick stand at the time I purchased the bike and I am still waiting for it. The dealer says it's stuck on a ship off the coast of California, I think BS. It really baffles me that you pay almost $5000 for a bike and it doesn't have a kick stand. Has anybody seen or been able to purchase one?

I bought a Vado SL 5.0 un-equipped in late February. Awesome bike, works well for me. I ordered a kick stand at the time I purchased the bike and I am still waiting for it. The dealer says it's stuck on a ship off the coast of California, I think BS. It really baffles me that you pay almost $5000 for a bike and it doesn't have a kick stand. Has anybody seen or been able to purchase one?

I’ve just ordered the EQ version of the Turbo Vado SL 5.0. One of the selling points for me was the unavailability of the kickstand for the non-EQ version. There are a lot of shipping problems in Asia-Pacific right now so I wouldn’t be surprised if what they’re telling you is true. Huge shortages of all kinds of things creating havoc for Christmas. Created a sellers market for telescopes too - that helped me to justify my new Vado!

I did receive my kick stand about a week ago and I do believe it was a shipping problem. I guess I still wonder though why anybody would want a bike without one or that a bike would come without one. Fenders and racks, important to some I'm sure, not a big deal to me.

Most trail only bikes don't come with a kick stand. They can be a danger on rough trails. If you need something like that immediately, google "click stand" a foldable kickstand that goes in your bag. Mixed reviews, so buyer beware.

Well, I wish that my Creo did not have holes to accommodate attachment of a kickstand. I've already lost one of the rubber plugs intended to keep debris or moisture out of that chain stay. Specialized did send me some replacements although they initially had trouble finding that small rubber part.

Well, I wish that my Creo did not have holes to accommodate attachment of a kickstand. I've already lost one of the rubber plugs intended to keep debris or moisture out of that chain stay. Specialized did send me some replacements although they initially had trouble finding that small rubber part.

How about a dab of black silicone caulking to keep it in place?

How about a dab of black silicone caulking to keep it in place?
I will probably try something. What is interesting about the HOLES - they are through-holes but only the outside has the plugs. I've thought of good ol' duct tape!

Most trail only bikes don't come with a kick stand. They can be a danger on rough trails. If you need something like that immediately, google "click stand" a foldable kickstand that goes in your bag. Mixed reviews, so buyer beware.
Vado SL is a fitness e-bike and it is kickstand ready, Art. Only Spesh doesn't provide the kickstand.

I will probably try something. What is interesting about the HOLES - they are through-holes but only the outside has the plugs. I've thought of good ol' duct tape!

Easy Peasey! - duct tape on the OUTSIDE, fill with silicone from the INSIDE, then let it cure and remove the tape. If you dab the silicone with a toothpick it’ll probably come out nicely cosmetically first try.

Easy Peasey! - duct tape on the OUTSIDE, fill with silicone from the INSIDE, then let it cure and remove the tape. If you dab the silicone with a toothpick it’ll probably come out nicely cosmetically first try.
I am fairly certain that the chain stay is hollow and that filling from the back will gush silicone into the entire chain stay. Since I opted for the Aluminum Creo, I don't need anymore weight! :eek:

I might be able to direct it using a straw or similar tube of the right diameter.

Vado SL is a fitness e-bike and it is kickstand ready, Art. Only Spesh doesn't provide the kickstand.
Strange. I’m guessing your Vado didn’t include a kickstand. My 2021 Vado SL 5.0 EQ came with a kickstand. I looked at the Specialized website and it’s listed as part of the specification.

3B990644-026A-4151-8D59-D8FC769F104E.jpeg

Most trail only bikes don't come with a kick stand. They can be a danger on rough trails.
And road bikes don’t have them because of roadies. The click stand is great by the way. (For my road bike.)

Maybe I am missing something here. I think all Specialized ebikes marked EQ have a kickstand, rack, lights, and fenders. But that Specialized just didn't have any available right now for the non EQ bikes. Since the op eventually got his, I guess it doesn't matter. FWIW my bikes (non EQ) came with all the above, but the racks and fenders came from the LBS, not Specialized .

As Stefan has pointed out 'ye olde Specialized Bycycle Company ' isn't consistent. I did wonder about the kickstand IDK if it is Specialized brand or not, but I really don't care.
I have a couple normally well stocked bike shops handy for add ons like that. I bought a mirror, another headlight and other stuff separately anyway, so why wouldn't they have a kickstand? But supply chains in EU and USA would be different.

That was my experience with all the big brands. I got quotes from 3 or 4 LBS on two bikes equipped alike. All the quotes were similar prices but the Trek verves had only manual brakes, the Giant Momentum had an IGH but no display, the Specialized had a derailleur and display Etc. Etc. Once everything was included they were all within about $100, IIRC.

I am fairly certain that the chain stay is hollow and that filling from the back will gush silicone into the entire chain stay. Since I opted for the Aluminum Creo, I don't need anymore weight! :eek:

I might be able to direct it using a straw or similar tube of the right diameter.

Wad of cotton ball should do the trick!

Ok, I'm not sure.

Both 4.0 non-EQ and EQ I watched at the store had kickstand mount holes but neither of them had the kickstand installed. It does not mean anything; the LBS might simply have not installed the item on the EQ.

Or my LBS may have just installed a different brand on mine . The rack and fenders aren't Specialized brand, but the lights are. I suspect that's normal here.

You could always just get two screws for the empty holes.

You could always just get two screws for the empty holes.
Actually, when I lost the plug, I tried finding a threaded screw to plug the hole. That's when I realized it was not threaded but a through-hole. So, yes, I guess I could come up with screws and bolts that go through the chain stay.

My heel occasionally hits the plug and slowly pulls it out. By the way, here's what the rubber plugs look like:

PXL_20210522_171906986--.jpg

Back