Vado 5.0 SL: Decreased battery range after motor replacement

Perhaps more without the power than with?

Dave: when I had a new Giant Trance E+., a 25 km/h e-MTB with 500 Wh battery and I used to ride it on the flat (forest service roads at hardest), my maximum range in standard Giant Eco mode was 40 miles, and it was typically less than that... There is something I won't understand here. Note: On the flat, rider's weight only affects the power consumption for acceleration and for nothing else!

P.S. SL e-bikes use 2-3 times less energy because they rely very much on the rider's input.
Yeah its kinda driving her crazy how good my Creo is with preserving battery. But you know...there are numerous factors for that. I'm in better shape...my bike is lighter and newer. But hey I've been riding eight years and she's been riding one year. Gotta pay your dues!

1631029944635.png

Perhaps this photo would convince Kim? Here's how I'm riding on my tours: The black pannier is for tools, documents, keys, spare beverages, snacks. The blue one (behind) is for the spare battery. I took that photo after I crossed the "green border" between Poland and Slovakia through a mountain summit, partly riding and partly walking my Vado through a hiking trail! :D Note: The worst part of the trail was a 19.8% incline that I really climbed on my e-bike :D

View attachment 99255
Perhaps this photo would convince Kim? Here's how I'm riding on my tours: The black pannier is for tools, documents, keys, spare beverages, snacks. The blue one (behind) is for the spare battery. I took that photo after I crossed the "green border" between Poland and Slovakia through a mountain summit, partly riding and partly walking my Vado through a hiking trail! :D Note: The worst part of the trail was a 19.8% incline that I really climbed on my e-bike :D
Stefan that's really fantastic...wow! Beautiful and you are riding in less than optimal conditions...very challenging indeed. But I bet very satisfying as well. Honestly though looking at that I think the Levo would your true calling for biking in that. But don't know how a Pannier would be on a levo...never seen it done.

We have a Pannier on her Como...LOVE IT. It's sooooo useful

Too difficult to explain my position but I actually owned a Giant Trance E+ (a premium full suspension e-MTB); I gave it to my beloved brother later. And yes, we found a good rack for that one; I rode the Trance with a pannier and a spare battery when I had to. Now, I keep the full Vado and Vado SL for everyday use and learned to live with them. (Another e-bike is stored at my brother's for the winter use).

Too difficult to explain my position but I actually owned a Giant Trance E+ (a premium full suspension e-MTB); I gave it to my beloved brother later. And yes, we found a good rack for that one; I rode the Trance with a pannier and a spare battery when I had to. Now, I keep the full Vado and Vado SL for everyday use and learned to live with them. (Another e-bike is stored at my brother's for the winter use).
Whatever works. My first bike on my journey to weight loss was a $300 bike from Walmart...but it worked! 😝

Besides... Do you know Dave why I have standardized on Specialized e-bikes? The electronics. Second to none!

Besides... Do you know Dave why I have standardized on Specialized e-bikes? The electronics. Second to none!
I believe that. Plus I think they are the 'cool brand' I like the look of their bikes and accessories. And their innovations I'm on board with. I really like future shock 2.0 on my Creo...so fast and easy to use..and it works.

Even set at 35/100
@BEC111: Really thank you for the suggestion. 35/100 is an interesting setting that allows me focusing on the ride instead of assistance modes. I could even climb an overpass with that setting (only downshifting). It looks the battery consumption figure is about 1 percent a kilometre, which suits me fine! And my SL rides at more convenient speed with that setting, encouraging for more effort with pedalling but not making me really tired!

@BEC111: Really thank you for the suggestion. 35/100 is an interesting setting that allows me focusing on the ride instead of assistance modes. I could even climb an overpass with that setting (only downshifting). It looks the battery consumption figure is about 1 percent a kilometre, which suits me fine! And my SL rides at more convenient speed with that setting, encouraging for more effort with pedalling but not making me really tired!
Thanks for the confirmation. I have continued my experimentation, using 35/70, 50/85, 100/100. On my fairly flat rail trail the feel is about the same as 35/100.

I haven’t had the opportunity to see what happens with steeper climbs. With 35/100 climbs for me we’re as you experienced.

I can’t take credit for the idea. Someone else in these forums suggested it.

If nothing else, it’s fun to experiment.

Back