Vado 5.0 - 45 months ownership - approximately 23,000+ miles

The Juiced bikes are cheaply made. They have terrible welds. The waves of the welds are visible. I have a friend with one. He's already had the throttle replaced and issues with electrical climbing up hills. The 52V 19.2 Ah battery is overrated. I get better range because I can often use no assist to ride like a regular bike where he couldn't because the bike with motor and battery + fat tires 4inch = to heavy. Riding up steep hills the battery depletes quickly. They're are not high end bikes. Also, they don't fall into any ebike legal class because the bike has a throttle yet is capable of speeds of over 28mph. The Turbo Vado 5.0 is far more polished with respect to components and features. Also, it's a true Class 3 legal in U.S. I rode the bike it felt like I was on a tank. I was happy to get back on my own bike which feels like a regular bike although it isn't. You get what you pay for. Also, they don't have the type of warranty and support that Specialize has. No comparison.
There are riders and uses for all points on the bike continuum and not everyone needs a $5k Class 3 Speed-Pedelec from the big 3 to be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Juiced bikes are cheaply made. They have terrible welds. The waves of the welds are visible. ...

I am not sure if welds not being smoothed/sanded is an indication of poor welding quality. You can see the waves on the welds on any brand / model. I have seen similar non-smooth welds on RM, Trek etc.
I can even see the welds on the photos you have posted.

I am not sure if welds not being smoothed/sanded is an indication of poor welding quality. You can see the waves on the welds on any brand / model. I have seen similar non-smooth welds on RM, Trek etc.
Jeebus...thank you for posting that. Quality welding has NOTHING to do with smoothness.

My son is a pro welder and the standard is defined as: No cracks or holes found in the bead. The bead should have uniform waves, width and height. The finished product will satisfy the design dimensions and has almost no distortion.

There are riders and uses for all points on the bike continuum and not everyone needs a $5k Class 3 Speed-Pedelec from the big 3 to be happy.
I considered the CCX Juiced B, but I ended up landing on Turbo Vado 5.0. I'm no expert. Far from it. It just looked like the bike had been thrown together. Like I said I wasn't impressed with the ride. On the other hand my friend was very impressed with how smooth the Vado performed, silent motor and the way it handled and accelerated. Also, the smooth weld's. Vado accelerates smooth. I also checked out their Facebook page. Customer support not so good. Warranty not as good as Specialized.

Alas, you make my point perfectly...
My point is you get what you pay for. Warranty, customer support, overall product. I couldn't wait to get off that Juiced Bike and come back home to my Vado.

Where? You must be seeing things. Point them out.

Where? You must be seeing things. Point them out.

Your picture was low resolution so I double checked with Specialized website.

Attachments

• vadoweld.PNG
    vadoweld.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 364
Your picture was low resolution so I double checked with Specialized website.
So you really couldn't see from the pictures I posted. In addition, the picture of the bike is"not my bike." Still, take the welds out of the equation. There really is no comparison. And to be fair there shouldn't be. Apple's and Oranges. Not equal. High end (Specialized) mid/low end Juiced Bike. One legally certified. The other is street illegal.

So you really couldn't see from the pictures I posted.(credibility) In addition, the picture of the bike is"not my bike." Still, take the welds out of the equation. There really is no comparison. And to be fair there shouldn't be. Apple's and Oranges. Not equal. High end (Specialized) mid/low end Juiced Bike. One legally certified. The other is street illegal.

Is the bike in your profile picture not yours, do you have a close up of that weld that shows otherwise? I saw the weld from the picture you have posted (the bike on the right, took the picture from your post , that weld is sharper compared to the sanded ones that's how I saw it) but since it was still not completely clear I checked the picture(on the left) on the SPECIALIZED OFFICIAL website to confirm it. Take a look at it yourself Vado.

I addressed only the part of your comment on welds nothing else.

The Turbo Vado is my 2nd Ebike. I thought about getting the Cross Current X 52 V 19.2 Ah with the Marathon Plus Tires. I had a look around on their Facebook review page which led me eventually to Specialized. Thankfully, I had the chance to test ride one. Based on my experience with their product, I would never purchase one of those bikes.

Attachments

• 20200128_100732.jpg
    20200128_100732.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 356
  • 20200216_142951_HDR.jpg
    20200216_142951_HDR.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 357
I need to correct something. Huge welds on an aluminum frame are not wrong. These add to the structural strength.

Still it is funny to compare cheap mass produced ebikes to the high end ones.

I need to correct something. Huge welds on an aluminum frame are not wrong. These add to the structural strength.

Stefan, of course Vado is of higher quality but criticism has to be fair. One should not spread false information(like the one on welds) just because they disliked a product.

On a side note I have seen almost all major brands' aluminum frames and Juiced frame. In terms of frame quality Juiced looked fine.

Components on the other hand are are another story. The components on Juiced were on the lower end and that is the reason I am not planning to own one. However it also has plusses like 1kwh battery and a high power motor.

I really like Vado (is one of my favorite designs). It is still one of a nicest bikes out there but I think it is time for them to release a model with belt drive and second battery option.

Can the Electrak Armadillo replace the Trigger Sports that my 2018 Vado 3.0 came with, or do i need different rims to put them on? I've been having a lot of flats with the Trigger Sports, 7 or 8 in 2000 miles, so I'm thinking to switch tires & tubes. Would love some recommendations!
Tire's are all about The size you need : Tubes as well. Maybe this Thread will give you some ideas: Even though it's in totally the Wrong Forum location : To many People don't seem to care where they post a Topic > Which is to bad, as it would make getting answers so much easier then it is. Especially when you have a Forum like this so well set up with that original intention in mind : BUTTTTT People refuse to care about the Next guy asking the question they just asked ;) https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/the-best-ebike-tire-s.26293/

What's really funny is that you seem to think Specialized aren't mass produced! C'mon... Do you actually think they are being assembled in a small craftsman's attic by hand or something? 🙄

It has already been said; the individual components used are what make the real distinction between the manufacturers and within that paradigm I would argue that the differences aren't substantial enough for the majority to warrant the 2X-3Xs (10X?) price increase to own a "high end" bike.

Prove to us that you get $3-4k more value out of your "high end" bike than that $2k Juiced. A fiend of mine has 4500 miles on his and loves it.

What's really funny is that you seem to think Specialized aren't mass produced! C'mon... Do you actually think they are being assembled in a small craftsman's attic by hand or something? 🙄

It has already been said; the individual components used are what make the real distinction between the manufacturers and within that paradigm I would argue that the differences aren't substantial enough for the majority to warrant the 2X-3Xs (10X?) price increase to own a "high end" bike.

Prove to us that you get $3-4k more value out of your "high end" bike than that $2k Juiced. A fiend of mine has 4500 miles on his and loves it.
NO Offense : I know nothing about The Bike Industry : But I do know that Not all Bike Frames are made with the same level of tolerances and measurements . SO when the final product is assembled It fits like a Glove : Lesser priced Bikes that have the same hardware are cutting their cost in Tolerances on the frames they use : Maybe some of it is hardware : But Most of it is How exact the specs on the Frame are. How well teh crank Fits and lines up to the Front and Rear Etc. Otherwise you could buy top of teh line hardware and throw it on a Walmart Frame and have a Top quality Bike : You can't Though.

One thing I do know for sure : The people making 2K Bikes are making more profit then those making 4K Bikes : It's that way with all manufacturers :

Also I know from Courts Video Trek and Specialized aren't these big massive Shops : Most assembling is done inside large Pole barns : Individually Setup

You must be thinking of Banks LOL JK

What friend? We can only go by your word. Any evidence to back that up?😁

Back