Vado 3.0 Question

Quadracer

Had my Vado 3.0 now for a couple of months and love the bike. The LBS upgraded the speed and all has been well. I have noticed when the power assist is turned off there is quite a bit of resistance coming from the bike when pedaling, the stronger the pedaling the more resistance. Is this common with the Vado range? I have taken the bike back to the LBS but they couldn't give me an answer, they were going to find out but as yet no reply.

I rented a Vado, rode it for 35 miles. I, too, felt like there was drag when the motor was turned off, more than I thought the 50 lb weight should account for. The Brose motor isn’t supposed to produce any resistance, so I wondered about this as well. Maybe some other Vado owners will weigh in?

That is strange. I rode a test Vado 3.0 about 10km after the battery ran out and it felt just like a regular bike, no resistance. Is this perhaps just a comparative feel? (Like if I get on my road bike after my ebike, it feels like I'm dragging a sack of potatoes)

Yeah, that’s possible. Still, I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was more than just pushing a heavy bike.

My rear hub motor e-bike has very little reistance due to its free-wheeling geared hub motor. If you put the bike on a work stand and spin the rear wheel up and let it coast it is impressive how little drag there is. Still, the bike is an absolute pig to ride with the electric assistance turned off due to its 55-60lbs. weight and tall 1x10 gearing. I’m not sure why anyone would want to voluntarily ride an e-bike unassisted. If you are trying to extend the range just put the bike on the lowest level of assistance. I do believe it has to do with the extra weight as I’ve had a similar experience on rented ride share bikes (which are also pretty heavy, poorly geared, and feel quite sluggish.)

Last edited:
I purchased a Vado 3.0 a few weeks back. I would say I have almost the opposite feeling. I have ridden ~ 175 miles on it so far. I wanted an e-bike to help me keep speed up as I climbed or as I tire on longer rides. So I use it only when I wanted the assistance. I have been wondering if I got some sort of assist when it was on but no power assist level selected

Same feeling of resistance on my new Vado 4. Ring my bike home after purchase yesterday it was like it isn’t consistant, didn’t feel it every time I turned assist off.
Took it out for ride again in the evening (13-14 miles) and then again I felt it was dragging when I turned motor assist off. Still having a feeling this isn’t happening every time in the same way. Sometimes it felt like the motor was still on for a short while after beeing turned off. I know the Vado is heavy compared to a regular bike but it feels incredibly heavy to pedal. A weight difference of 25-30lbs shouldn’t feel like this dragging feeling, I have sonetimes put a lot of luggage on my regular bike and it’s a different feeling as I remember it.
Will try today again to to get a feel of what is happening.

Back