VADO 3.0 confusion between year old bike and new bike

Is the last year's model the Men's Turbo Vado 3.0 that lists for 3450.00 on the Specialized Website but they have on sale for 3104.99 and the NEW MODEL YEAR TURBO Vado 3.0 is the Turbo Vado 3.0 that sells for 2700 on their website. (Have they gotten rid of the Men's and Women's version and are just going with one bike for each number? They don't list years on their site like Trek does, almost like they are trying to confuse the lest experienced or newer Ebike purchaser. And is there a difference between the 3450.00 bike which I think is last year's bike and the newer 3.0 which sells for less at 2700 (I think this is the new Vado 3.0)? Which bike is better?

The reason Last years Vado 3 is on sale yet still more expensive then Newest Vado 3 . Has to do with Vado 3 last year is class 3 Vado 3 This Year is Class 1 . It appears Vado 5 is the Top this Year Rather then Vado 6 . So essentially they are just changing the Numbering : From 2,3,4,5 & 6 to 2,3,4,& 5

The reason Last years Vado 3 is on sale yet still more expensive then Newest Vado 3 . Has to do with Vado 3 last year is class 3 Vado 3 This Year is Class 1 . It appears Vado 5 is the Top this Year Rather then Vado 6 . So essentially they are just changing the Numbering : From 2,3,4,5 & 6 to 2,3,4,& 5
Thanks. I did not realize this years model is class one. I thought they made all Vados last year class 3.

Thanks. I did not realize this years model is class one. I thought they made all Vados last year class 3.
Maybe you need to call the company : I answered based on several comments on the same Topic. Maybe they have no clue what they were talking about

The new 3.0 has a 1.2E or CB Brose motor, whereas the 2019 3.0 had the T (or, I think, 1.2) motor. The new 3.0 offers max 50nm torque, 420 peak watts output, the old one 72nm and 520 watts peak. I just had my 2019 Vado 2.0 (also with the more powerful motor) replaced with the 2020 3.0. There is a noticeable difference, but not a deal killer for me, when climbing very steep hills. There is also a very noticeable difference in battery drain, with the 2020 sipping rather than slurping the power. All said, I do occasionally (very occasionally) miss that torque, but prefer the longer duration for the battery. I also like the built in lights (although could be more powerful, like the 4.0). I believe the brakes and gears are different, too, but all I can say is they seem smooth and quality on both models.

It’s not just the change from 1.2 motor to 1.2E.
Gears/shifters are now 9 speed Alivio vs 10 speed Deore on the 2019 model.
2020 brakes are Tektro vs Shimano BR-M 315 on 2019.

The new 3.0 has a 1.2E or CB Brose motor, whereas the 2019 3.0 had the T (or, I think, 1.2) motor. The new 3.0 offers max 50nm torque, 420 peak watts output, the old one 72nm and 520 watts peak. I just had my 2019 Vado 2.0 (also with the more powerful motor) replaced with the 2020 3.0. There is a noticeable difference, but not a deal killer for me, when climbing very steep hills. There is also a very noticeable difference in battery drain, with the 2020 sipping rather than slurping the power. All said, I do occasionally (very occasionally) miss that torque, but prefer the longer duration for the battery. I also like the built in lights (although could be more powerful, like the 4.0). I believe the brakes and gears are different, too, but all I can say is they seem smooth and quality on both models.
thanks for the information. It is very helpful.

Caution, nothing is quite as it seems when it comes to the old vs. new Vado 3.0's. For example, though new Vado 3 is advertised on the Specialized site was having a 1.2"E" motor and suggested to be a Class 1 (20 mph), nonetheless there are several validated (with photos) reports of customers actually buy the new Vado 3's, at the reduced price, that are Class 3's and perform as Class 3's though they otherwise are as spec'd new models.

Go figure.

So basically you are saying that the new 3.0 is better even though it costs less?
Caution, nothing is quite as it seems when it comes to the old vs. new Vado 3.0's. For example, though new Vado 3 is advertised on the Specialized site was having a 1.2"E" motor and suggested to be a Class 1 (20 mph), nonetheless there are several validated (with photos) reports of customers actually buy the new Vado 3's, at the reduced price, that are Class 3's and perform as Class 3's though they otherwise are as spec'd new models.

Go figure.
This whole thing has not helped my confidence in Specialized. Their shop is a mile from where I live. Trek shop is 5 miles away. This confusion to me shows a possible lack of competence, which is more likely to steer me toward Trek for my upcoming first Ebike purchase.

So basically you are saying that the new 3.0 is better even though it costs less?

This whole thing has not helped my confidence in Specialized. Their shop is a mile from where I live. Trek shop is 5 miles away. This confusion to me shows a possible lack of competence, which is more likely to steer me toward Trek for my upcoming first Ebike purchase.
One thing, even though I had a few issues with my Turbo Vado, those only increased my confidence in the company. They truly are amazing for standing behind their products / guarantee. Any bike may have issues, and then what you need is a company that quickly and enthusiastically backs up their guarantee.

Yeah. Their website does not even tell wnat
Class a bike is.
It's Class 1 for 2020 : Go to Home page

NO the 2020 maybe has more Frills but If I were Buying I'd get the older for the Motor. I've seen Vado 3's from
One thing, even though I had a few issues with my Turbo Vado, those only increased my confidence in the company. They truly are amazing for standing behind their products / guarantee. Any bike may have issues, and then what you need is a company that quickly and enthusiastically backs up their guarantee.
So dropping to a Less Powerful machine by quite a Bit Doesn't matter that much? Not sure I follow : Don't get why you said less motor isn't a deal Breaker. Why Not?

Huh? Keep in mind Specialized has been more aggressive in the E-Bike Market then Trek. Look how hard it is to find many reviews on Treks E-Bike : Because they sorta backed down for a Few Years and have just started to hop on teh wagon-train again.

Specialized has Sold a lot of the Vado : Alot more then Trek has sold in their line.

Trek Tells Me all their Models aren't on teh Website in AMerica But will be By Mid December 2019. SO I'm waiting as it's snow here already. If Nothing changes between Now and Spring to chain the Bike I Buy.

I plan of a Vado 4 or 5 : Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Lightly used Vado 3 :

JMO

It's Class 1 for 2020 : Go to Home page
NO the 2020 maybe has more Frills but If I were Buying I'd get the older for the Motor. I've seen Vado 3's from
So dropping to a Less Powerful machine by quite a Bit Doesn't matter that much? Not sure I follow : Don't get why you said less motor isn't a deal Breaker. Why Not?
Having experience with both motors, the 1.2E in real life conditions is barely less powerful. Only on very steep hills do I note the difference, and those hills are still easily climbed with the 1.2E, by me anyway. If I was in poor condition, older, or if I had health issues, yes, I would go with the 1.2. But for me, it is not worth $1200 + taxes to occasionally peddle a little less hard. Weighing one's situation and needs, others may wisely choose differently.

Where on specialized.com do you find this information?
You misunderstand Go to the Top of This page we are on : Where teh Green Logo that says EBR on left side of page is. Double click and then Search Specialized Vado 3: Courts Review on what he calls 2020 Says Limited 20MPH
Having experience with both motors, the 1.2E in real life conditions is barely less powerful. Only on very steep hills do I note the difference, and those hills are still easily climbed with the 1.2E, by me anyway. If I was in poor condition, older, or if I had health issues, yes, I would go with the 1.2. But for me, it is not worth $1200 + taxes to occasionally peddle a little less hard. Weighing one's situation and needs, others may wisely choose differently.
So you are saying based on experience A class 3 is minimal Power difference? That's what I am trying to understand : With Pedal assist You really have to be pumping those legs to exceed 20 mph and stay there ? So class one different is mainly that it takes seconds longer to get up to speed? AT 64 years old on a regular Bike (HYBRID) I can occasionally on the right road get up near 20 MPH : But that's a peak at best that falls right off once reached. Realistically it's more like 18 mph. Naturally I could go faster on a Road Bike : However I am using Hybrids like a Trek Dual Sport and Wife has a Verve :

You seem to be confirming my thoughts

You misunderstand Go to the Top of This page we are on : Where teh Green Logo that says EBR on left side of page is. Double click and then Search Specialized Vado 3: Courts Review on what he calls 2020 Says Limited 20MPH
So you are saying based on experience A class 3 is minimal Power difference? That's what I am trying to understand : With Pedal assist You really have to be pumping those legs to exceed 20 mph and stay there ? So class one different is mainly that it takes seconds longer to get up to speed? AT 64 years old on a regular Bike (HYBRID) I can occasionally on the right road get up near 20 MPH : But that's a peak at best that falls right off once reached. Realistically it's more like 18 mph. Naturally I could go faster on a Road Bike : However I am using Hybrids like a Trek Dual Sport and Wife has a Verve :

I'm just about to turn 64. As far as I know, we don't even have those classes in BC Canada, as all the bikes are limited to 32 kilometres per hour. That given, it is actually one of the things I prefer about the 1.2E, as when going full out you really feel the bike motor kicking in and out on the 1.2, when in Turbo, whereas it is much smoother with the 1.2E. I found both the 1.2 and 1.2E some work on level or slight incline to get up to the full 32 kilometre limit, and stay there, and I do not notice too much difference in effort between the 2 motors on flat, slight incline, downhill. The difference for me is really only when going up a really steep hill, which I could do with the 1.2 even with some load in the paneers in 3rd or 4th gear. With the 1.2E, I tend to go to the lowest or 2nd lowest gear, and so that tends to be a bit slower, but I am not struggling to go up, at all.

I did use the Mission Control App to dial down the power for the first 2 levels of power assist, leaving Turbo at 100%. So that might help explain also why I do not mind the less powerful motor. It is by the way the same motor as used in the 2020 Como 3.0, which has a complete review on this site. He writes a fair amount about the drive, and does not seem disappointed.

I will also say that originally I was very hesitant about accepting the 3.0 with reduced power, fearing I would constantly missing the power. This has not been the case. I am mostly just enjoying the battery lasting longer, the integrated lights (small thing perhaps, but I was fed up with constantly recharging my front and back battery lights), and just how solid this bike feels.

I own a 2020 Vado 3.0 and so do several other members here, everyone confirms its class 3. Maybe its the early 2020 ones but they are.

Previous conversation in this thread

I own a 2020 Vado 3.0 and so do several other members here, everyone confirms its class 3. Maybe its the early 2020 ones but they are.

Previous conversation in this thread

What color did you order?

Back