Using Negative Experiences as Learning Opportunities - What is there to learn from this?

Alaskan

I sit here so frustrated, nursing a badly insured left quadriceps.

On Saturday I was out for a ride. A car passed me mid-block on a designated bike route street, stopping at a 4-way stop sign just ahead of me. Even though there were no other cars around, they remained stopped at the intersection. As I rolled up on their passenger side, braking to stop at the stop sign, all but the drivers doors opened suddenly. The passenger side back door caught me in the outer, upper thigh and bringing my forward movement to an immediate halt and knocking me to the grassy curb.

It hurt like hell but I knew nothing was broken and was only five blocks from home so after dusting off I headed home knowing things would swell up making it more difficult if I waiting too long. That night my whole thigh swelled up as tight as a basketball with any movement impossible without a cane or walker.

The swelling is going down slowly but I am stuck at home with severely limited mobility for the indefinite future.

The driver was a mom with three teenagers she was letting out of the car. She had just passed me and knew I was coming up behind her. Instead of pulling off to the side of the road to let the kids out, where there was unlimited open parking space, she had them exit the car while in the roadway stopped at a stop sign...not safe for the kids or for me.

How do you defend your self from unpredictable idiots? I am puzzling as to how I should adopt a different strategy for getting by a car that does something like this in the future...ride the sidewalk or what?

Any ideas anhyone?

Richard I hope you mend quickly. This unfortunately is a common scenario. In Santa Cruz there is a bike lane sandwiched between a traffic lane and parked cars. In the last week a parked car just pulled out in front of me and a second event a parked car driver opened his door. In both cases I was forced into the traffic lane. I’m not sure beyond defensive riding what can be done. Did the mother take any responsibility?

Hope you heal well..I treat cars and such as wild beasts that are barely domesticated. They are ok to be around but can turn on you in a moment. Unless the driver is a cycleist you just don't know where their auto insulated head is and they have little concern for their two wheeled bretheren. Approach with Caution sad to say. Stay well?

On Saturday I was out for a ride. A car passed me mid-block on a designated bike route street, stopping at a 4-way stop sign just ahead of me. Even though there were no other cars around, they remained stopped at the intersection. As I rolled up on their passenger side, braking to stop at the stop sign, all but the drivers doors opened suddenly. The passenger side back door caught me in the outer, upper thigh and bringing my forward movement to an immediate halt and knocking me to the grassy curb.

It hurt like hell but I knew nothing was broken and was only five blocks from home so after dusting off I headed home knowing things would swell up making it more difficult if I waiting too long. That night my whole thigh swelled up as tight as a basketball with any movement impossible without a cane or walker.

The swelling is going down slowly but I am stuck at home with severely limited mobility for the indefinite future.

The driver was a mom with three teenagers she was letting out of the car. She had just passed me and knew I was coming up behind her. Instead of pulling off to the side of the road to let the kids out, where there was unlimited open parking space, she had them exit the car while in the roadway stopped at a stop sign...not safe for the kids or for me.

How do you defend your self from unpredictable idiots? I am puzzling as to how I should adopt a different strategy for getting by a car that does something like this in the future...ride the sidewalk or what?

Any ideas anhyone?
This is the risk we all take while biking on roads with cars. If you want to avoid the car risk altogether then bike on trails or paths where no cars are allowed. Otherwise if you have to bike in close proximity to cars in certain circumstances you have to be thinking what if the driver didn't see me or what if the door suddenly opens or what if that car at the intersection does not stop and formulate an exit scenario (slow down, stop, yell, choose another path etc). And make certain your bike is as visible as possible with bright blinking lights and high contrast colors, day and night. I'm glad it wasn't much worse. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Stay well and safe. Lots of idiots out there in cars.

Last edited:
Hope you are getting around better soon.

I can share the "invisible" rule. You use it to pretend you are invisible to all others when riding. That NOBODY can see you - ever. This leaves you assuming nothing, and anticipating way more than you normally would! If something happens to startle you, it's your fault!

I used to use it frequently when riding a heavy motorcycle in traffic. It's saved my bacon on more than one occasion!

Today, I refuse to ride a motorcycle after nearly a lifetime of riding. I'm afraid to trust that my reaction times will ALWAYS be quick enough to keep me safe. Nowadays, as a recreational e-bike rider, not a commuter, I have the ability to refuse to use bike lanes set up to adjacent traffic, and I do just that, refuse! Scaredy cat attitude maybe, but alive to ride another day...

I am SO tired of the news where somebody didn't see somebody else and failed to yield the right of way -especially in left turn scenarios. You get a ticket for failing to see somebody, and the other person gets a funeral. Oops..... -Al

I used to ride expecting homicidal behaviour. So if there was a car doing something stupid ! hang back for a couple of seconds - work out how they are intending to kill you, then take appropriate action.

Food for thought , I was reading your post and expecting the doors to open and you were going to get the bike stolen - or worse.

Any ideas anhyone?

I’m sorry to hear about this incident and hope you’re out and about sooner than you expect.

I was touring in 2014 on a regular bike. I was swiped by an 18-wheeler that ran off the road on Big Game Day (Iowa vs Iowa State football). It took a lot for me to get “back in the saddle” even a year later — mentally.

1. I try not to bike on Game Days — I.e. days (or nights) that are big drinking days.
2. I worked thru some mental issues that had me reviewing the incident with “what if’s?” The worst one was what if my clothing had been caught by the semi? I found my physical injuries less problematic than obsessing about getting dragged by a truck.
3 Frankly, I am less cocky than I used to be. I may have been guilty of thinking accidents were for other people. As a result, I am far more careful, which I consider to be a good thing. Every encounter is a potential idiot.

That accident put me on the path to checking out ebikes, btw.

I used to ride expecting homicidal behaviour. So if there was a car doing something stupid ! hang back for a couple of seconds - work out how they are intending to kill you, then take appropriate action.

Food for thought , I was reading your post and expecting the doors to open and you were going to get the bike stolen - or worse.

I'm the same way. There is a LOT of hatred out there! If they don't cycle, they don't think like a cyclist and for some people that generates hatred and disgusting acts. I ride as little with vehicle traffic as possible. If you can't make eye contact with the driver, you always have to expect the worst!

Richard, I am so sorry to hear of your accident. It is so unfair that it happened to a person as thoughtful and gentle as you. Mend well, dear friend. Dave

Oh what an unpleasant tale to read -- I'm so glad it wasn't worse for you (broken bones, etc.)
No advice I suppose except to try as you're slowing down markedly for that stopped car, to scan the interior occupants for any visual cue they may be about to exit the car? That won't always be feasible, I realize.
Perhaps also ring a bell/toot a horn as you are approaching the stopped car, for another possible way to make the occupants aware...
I reckon another approach could be to exit the bike lane and come up behind that stopped car, probably until the driver noticed and waved you on -- at that point, you'd HOPE she would be aware of your position explicitly, and control the teens' exit accordingly.
I don't think there's any single foolproof plan against the idiots, the distracted, the unaware, the inwardly-focused. I do hope you are able to get back in the saddle on some safe trails as soon as your leg permits!

Sorry to hear of your accident, I hope you have a speedy recovery. Sadly its a fact of life that people do stupid things, I hope you get back riding soon!

Any ideas anhyone?
As a rider with over 15 Ny bike years i advise to always go around the vehicles in such a way that if they open any door it would be enough space. And always fingers ready on the brakes. And yea if you have to , take the sidewalk ride slowly then rejoin the road.
Always anticipate and don’t put faith in the drivers.
Yes 90% or a high percentage definetly are ok drivers and people but doing it this way it saves you from the 10% of innatentive drivers which you will never know how and when they will make the wrong decision putting someone in great danger... there are other things too but this covers most of it.
Other tips- always ride only when you are well rested and ride, calm, focused and very attentive . Like a cat in the wilderness ?. And ride esp. carefully during rush hours, rainy or cloudy days, Mondays and early Saturday/Sundays.
Catch up on some good movies and enjoy some coffee/tea during this down time.
I could prob. Teach an AI car robot or bike on how to safely drive almost 99.9995% of the time.

Simple, you were to close. It’s hard to keep the distance but as you’ve experienced it takes only an innocent instant to turn life upside down. I always have an escape or distance when passing a stationary vehicle.

I’m so sorry to read this. It could happen to me regardless of my aplomb. Stuff happens. From all I read here you’re a stellar rider. Sometimes it seems they getcha regardless. Heal well, and ride safe, it’s better to talk to you than about you!

You could abandon your bike lane at traffic stops and enter into traffic but I like the advice ChristoB gave about scanning the interior of the car for that potentiality. The driver and passengers are guilty here and you cannot reliably protect yourself from this kind of behavior. I would have taken the plate number and taken them to small claims court or whatever the US equivalent would be.

Very sad in so many ways. Best wishes Alaskan and I hope you are back in the saddle very soon!

Unfortunately, this can and will eventually happen to any one of us who rides with traffic.

I was into motorcycle scrambles track racing when I was a teenager. I was taught by a pro on the circuit who had an interesting philosophy on street riding. "Kid, treat every vehicle you see as though it was going to run you down on purpose". I never forgot that in the 45 years I rode a motorcycle. In that time I had only one incident. I was passed by a kid driving a hot rod. He crossed the double yellow line and clipped my mirror as he went by. I lost control momentarily but recovered quickly before I dropped the bike. I think it was the experience I gained riding in the dirt that saved me.

I still think about what that pro told me on the rare occasion when I ride my ebike on the street.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts and good suggestions.

post scriptum - When this happened I was in great pain but knew there was no bone or joint issue, just a big, solid hit to the thickest part of my left upper quad. Looking back I was lucky that I took the hit at the thickest point on a my largest muscle, one that I have spent the past year conditioning and building up. I suspect that if this had happened at the beginning my ebike journey, I might likely have suffered a fractured femur. My legs are bigger and much more solid than they were a year ago.

To the driver's credit, she was mortified. She got out of the car right away and was very concerned and offered help. There was no damage to my bike. I tried to walk it off but it became apparent that I had better get riding home before things started to stiffen up. In my eagerness to do that I neglected to get any contact information from the driver...not the smartest move on my part. Not sure yet what I would have done with the information but I should have taken it down or at least taken a picture of her car and insurance info.

Four days in I am walking with a cane but still cannot lift my leg and set it on an ottoman and need help getting my left leg up on to the bed. I am slowly recovering range of motion but the front of my thigh from kneecap to hip is still quite swollen but is not as rock hard as it was on day 2. It is starting to turn some interesting colors.

Of course we have had four cool but sunny days since this occurred...missing out on some good riding. I will try the stationary bike with minimum resistance today. Gotta keep it moving.

I'll be back.

I am walking with a cane but still cannot lift my leg and set it on an ottoman and need help getting my left leg up on to the bed.
Life here, but my new step through build will solve leg lift issues. I have been pushing order customers towards step-through frames. For some, myself included, that allows for more riding and for more years of riding.

These days, it seems fairly common for cars to stop at stop signs to do something--usually they are on their phone. Your story is very instructive because it shows another reason that someone may stop too long at a stop sign.

In both cases, we as cyclists are at risk. The cell phone user may move quickly into driving again without checking their surroundings.

I almost hit a cyclist last weekend. I was at a traffic light, hoping to turn right on red. There was a lot of oncoming traffic on my left, that I was watching, waiting for a chance to turn. Meanwhile, a cyclist started through the crosswalk. I didn't see the cyclist, because I was looking to my left. As I was just moving to accellerate to make my right turn, I also looked to the right, and the cyclist was just going in front of my car. If I'd hit him, it would definitely have been my fault, which is making me more careful as a driver. I noticed how often I look left and then turn right without thoroughly checking my visual field to the right before doing so (especially if one has to be quick to get between cars). Meanwhile, this has also reinforced the lesson that we really need eye contact AND the value of waiting for a car to do its business when it is in that sort of situation.

Get well soon, Alaskan! And the driver should have given you her contact information for insurance purposes. She was negligent in this regard. It's hard to think clearly when just hit, but another thought is to ask the driver to call 911 to check on one's injuries. I'm glad you made it home okay, but what if you hadn't been able to?

Back