Using an E Bike to Titrate Activity Level and Energy Expenditure

champignon

I have owned a couple of folding E Bikes the last several years. One was a purpose built conversion sold by Luna Bike, and the other was a conversion I had done with an existing Dahon with a Nuvinci CVT transmission. I also own regular, unassisted, bikes, both folder and full size. I ride both types, depending on the situation and why I am riding at a particular time. This afternoon I used a regular bike, because I wasn't going to ride that far and I just wanted the exercise.

I have occasionally used an e bike predominantly with the throttle for mere transportation, but usually use them with pedal assist primarily. I occasionally see unathletic overweight individuals on e bikes, but more commonly have seen the same type of individual using regular bikes. I don't see e bikes as being a preferred method of transport for obese and lazy individuals :) Rather, I am coming to see e bikes as a way for individuals to titrate their energy expenditures, while still getting whatever amount of exercise they want to get. So the rides cover more distance than the rider might do otherwise, or they use a bike instead of using a car, or they ride with someone else who has either more or less capacity to exert themselves, but with the electric assistance, the two (or more) people can do an activity together that they otherwise wouldn't be able to do. I think it is also a way for people, as they age, to remain active, and to do an activity like biking which they might abandon after reaching a certain age.

Back