Used bike lot

cleo1943

I have a Turbo Vado 1.0 which I bought nine months ago and have put a on a trouble free 2,900 miles. My only complaint, is the suspension. I have a body-float on the seat, but the front suspension fork I find inadequate. So, I was thinking of going to a Levo SL. so I could not only get good suspension, but ride on the trail as well. So, here is my question: since many of the electric bikes are fairly expensive, and i am sure there are people that want to upgrade or change their bikes, why don't the bike shops have a "used bike department," like the car dealers have "used car departments." I know that the shops would prefer to sell new bikes, but taking "trade-ins" would facilitate the sales of new bikes and bring in extra profits on the used bikes.

The market for used bikes is too weak. There’s no money in it. People just aren’t spending money on used bikes in a way that aligns with the worth of the bike.

The dealer would have to give the seller a ridiculously low price on the trade in. No one could trust a used battery because no one but the user would know how the battery had been cared for. The buyer of the used bike would expect some sort of free service on small issues since they bought it there. In no time at all, the dealer could have an upset used bike buyer at the least, and loose money at the worst. I've been in a recumbent shop in Chicago that does have a used department.

I don't know about used bike parts. . . but Bicycle Blue Book did work for me. Believe me, once you try to sell an E-bike on your own, buyers complain. . . . even if you give them the bike for free; shipping is a nightmare. Also in some states, the law forbids bike shops from selling used; it requires a type of Pawn Shop license. . . . just my two cents. E bay is best for used parts, and battery re-builders should be researched, just assume the used ebike is bike only and not battery.

I was told Trek bikes does take trade ins at some stores in USA. I would take a low price to trade in our Yunbike c1 which is in perfect shape and could be useful to someone else.

Are you selling? Is it women's model? What is your low price?
It’s a men’s medium. I am 5’8” if that helps. I added fenders, a rack, Ortleib panniers, Nightlight lights front and back, a $150.00 “Loud” brand horn, and a $240 Body Float seat post shock absorber. The battery should be good, if you can trust the reviews, for another 19,000 miles. I would not know how to ship it. I live in Scottsdale. I would sell it for 2,000.00. New, they come “stripped,” for $2,500.

This might be off base, but I tend to use Crazy Lenny's clearance prices as a guide to what a used ebike might go for. 2900 miles is maybe not much mileagle for the battery or motor, but it's a fair amount of wear for the other parts of the bike.

Back