Uphill throttle-only test of my new Yukon 750

KoryOZ

It's not exactly a thrilling video, but at least it's pretty short! :p

And I have to say the bike performed beautifully! The hill gets up to about a 6% grade at a couple of points. I overlaid some GPS data on the video.

Now that I did this, I realize my tire size is probably set incorrectly on the bike. I'll have to check on that.

When I test rode the Yukon 750 a few months ago, the owner lived off of a 12% grade. Now, there was no way the bike was going to carry my carcass up that grade throttle-only, but I was impressed on how well it did assist me as I pedalled. It was a great test because the last mile of my commute home has an average grade of 5% with a 10% section before it crests. I won't name names, but I actually had someone tell me there was no way a geared rear hub motor was going to make it up my hill. However, the majority of EBR forum members assured me it would not be a problem and they were right.

I ended up buying a RadRover with the same 750W motor as the Yukon and it takes me up my hill just fine. I don't do throttle only, but PAS 4 and 1st gear is a comfortable cadence keeping the wattage below 500. I save PAS 5 for that 10% section. I would like to try a mid-drive BBS02 or BBSHD fat-tire bike for comparison's sake.

As for the mph discrepancy between the bike's LCD and your Garmin, several RadRover owners have mentioned changing the wheel size in the control panel from 26 to 28" for better accuracy. Perhaps try that on your Yukon and see if it helps.

-- snip -- It was a great test because the last mile of my commute home has an average grade of 5% with a 10% section before it crests. -- snip --
Yikes!

-- snip -- As for the mph discrepancy between the bike's LCD and your Garmin, several RadRover owners have mentioned changing the wheel size in the control panel from 26 to 28" for better accuracy. Perhaps try that on your Yukon and see if it helps.

I believe that is the issue. Even though we have 26" wheels, with the fat tires they perform more like 28" wheels. I'll try it out and see. Thanks for the input!

Back